PDA

View Full Version : A Decision At Last

Bob Belt
06-22-2005, 11:23 AM
Hi All,
Well, the research is complete. The new shop (for the laser) is completed. The decision has been made. And the order placed. Now for the hard part. WAIT!!! I finally settled on a ULS M-360, 40 watt. What a hard choice. It came down to Epilog and ULS. They both seem like fine machines. Roy Brewer is the greatest host (and a great salesman). But I was able to also spend a few days with Robert Hensley at Engravers Network while in Arlington (attending his Corel Roundup--highly recommended), and just felt good about the ULS system and their support. I just wasn't real impressed with SignWarehouse and Pinnacle(we went to Dennison also and put our hands on one). No Corel support was a big factor.
My wife and I are very excited and can't wait to get started. Now we have to figure out what to do next. We have no actual working experience. But alot of hopes and dreams. Guess there's alot of practice in the works to start...Wish us luck........
Bob Belt :D

Shaddy Dedmore
06-22-2005, 1:10 PM
Congrats.... searching the the threads will probably give you a lot of ideas and even examples. Don't hesitate to ask Q's, there's a lot of experience here.

Do a lot of practicing, take a ton of notes. I used up a lot of pieces. I also found that when experimenting, if you act like you're doing a final draft for someone, and it turns out good, poof, you have a sample to show people. For a while I was just showing people a picture of the work, or maybe showing them a blank item. but when they see an etched example, it makes a huge difference.

Granted, this is a part time thing for me, more of a hobby really. So I don't have a showroom to fill with stuff. but people still need to see and touch to make a decision (oh, and smell... everyone shoves my wood items right to their nose and smells, it's kinda funny).

Good luck, try not to be overwhelmed, baby steps.

Shaddy

Barbara Sample
06-22-2005, 3:25 PM
I also went to Robert Hensley's class is Texas, and I just learned so much, and found everyone there so helpfull. Good luck, you have a good start. Keep his notes very close to you, that's what I do, and it helps a lot.
Barbara

Mike Mackenzie
06-22-2005, 7:12 PM
Bob,

As a Rep for ULS I would like to welcome you to our large family. If you ever need anything please let us know. You have a great rep with Robert but if for some reason you can not get a hold of them just ask us here we will do whats needed to get you going.

Keith Outten
06-22-2005, 9:39 PM
Congratulations Bob!

Welcome to our familly of Engravers. While you are waiting for your new machine use the time to make some nice wood plaques :)

Chuck Burke
06-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Bob,
Hopes and dreams are what make the world go around. You will find that once you get past that initial "hump" of the learning curve, it comes easy. There are only really a few things you need to know, and then build from there.
I would wish you luck, but somehow, I don't think you and your wife need. How exciting for you to start your new endeavor.

Chuck burke
American Pacific Awards