PDA

View Full Version : Changing ruler direction in Corel

mike wallis
06-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Hi all,
what im trying to do should be simple but I can't find the setting anywhere.
By default Corel has the top horizontal ruler starting at zero at the top left which matches my table, the vertical ruler is the oposite with zero starting at the bottom left. There is probibly a good reason for this in some applications but I would prefere both zeros at the top left if possible. Does anyone know the procedure if any to chage the ruler direction?
Thanks for any help
Mike

Bob Belt
06-22-2005, 11:06 AM
Hi Mike,

Go to the top left corner of the rulers (there is a small corner lookin thingy..lol), click (hold) and drag to the top left corner of the sheet (align them to the corner) and release. If you want to save it as default go to "Tools", "Save As Default". Piece of cake...

Bob...

Bruce Volden
06-22-2005, 11:11 AM
Mike, double click in the ruler you wish to change. In your case (vertical?) type your vert. table size in vert. window and it should be there. If I remember correctly you'll have to go from there to tool, options, etc to save this setting so it will always open as you last left. Good luck~~any body to confirm this? If I wasn't @ work now I wouldn't have to rely on my old memory.

Mike Mackenzie
06-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Mike,

Bruces directions are the correct way to do what you want, However be aware that every time you change the page size the ruler in question will go back to the original setting.

Lee DeRaud
06-22-2005, 1:30 PM
Bruces directions are the correct way to do what you want, However be aware that every time you change the page size the ruler in question will go back to the original setting.The technical term for that is "bug"...has anybody told Corel?

J Porter
06-22-2005, 3:09 PM
I use Corel (almost) exclusively for laser work so I have set up a "virtual" laser table in Corel. Go to Tools, Options, Document, Page, Size and set your page to be your table size. Mine is 24" wide and 18" tall. Now select Document, Guidelines, Rulers and set the Vertical ruler at 18" or your table heigth. Finally, select Document and check Save Options... If this is a freshly opened instance of Corel, just check all the selections and click OK.

Now, when you open Corel, the default page is sized for your laser table. The one real caveat is that all vertical measurements are in the downward direction and therefore considered to be of a negative value.

You can put something anyplace on your laser table and find an appropriate spot with the red pointer. Use that measurement to place a drawing on your "virtual" Corel table and laser away.. ;)

If you don't want to always open with this virtual table, simply save the page as a file, something like 24x18table.cdr and open it up as you need it.

~Joe

mike wallis
06-22-2005, 3:11 PM
Thanks everyone, with your combined knowledge im on the right track now.
That is unfortunate that Corel resets back to default once the page size is changed. I wonder if there is a way around it??

Even after a year and a half im still picking up usefull tips using Corel.
Aaron you mentioned possibly creating a tutorial CD in the future for engravers, put me on the waiting list to buy it!

Mike

Aaron Koehl
06-22-2005, 3:39 PM
Even after a year and a half im still picking up usefull tips using Corel.
Aaron you mentioned possibly creating a tutorial CD in the future for engravers, put me on the waiting list to buy it!

Mike

I'll be sure to!

Chuck Burke
06-24-2005, 2:26 PM

Mike
Mike while you are waiting for Aarons Corel training CD, you might want to check out the one by Roy Brewer. You can find it at ARA.org. If you are a member you will get it at a discounted rate. I have it, and it is quite good.

Chuck Burke
American Pacific Awards.