PDA

View Full Version : Workflow from Illustrator to LaserCut...tearing my hair out!!

sarah beck
03-29-2014, 2:35 PM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. My turn to ask for help! I've been lurking for a few years on this forum, thirstily soaking up as much information as I can here. I've read hundreds of posts and they really helped me to decide which direction to go in when it came to buying my laser. I finally purchased a laser and it is all set up in my workshop. It is a Logilase Prime from Logilase in Toronto. Mike from Logilase has been a shining star (5 stars!!) when it comes to customer service and support. I must have sent him over 100 emails before actually purchasing the laser and he carefully and patiently answered each and every one. It is a 40W C02 laser.

Here's where I need some suggestions if anyone has any ideas:
I bought the laser for the main purpose of making wooden jewellery. (I'm sure I'll find lots more to do with it though!) I currently have an Etsy shop selling pinback buttons, cards, prints and other stuff. I want to take a lot of the artwork that I draw and sell as buttons and prints at the moment and turn those into engraved pendants, earrings etc. I am having a problem with getting my artwork into the laser software. Currently for my drawings I scan the line art that I draw, clean it up in Photoshop, export it to Illustrator, trace it and bring it back into Photoshop to colour. I am using a Mac.

So, I hoped that I could trace my drawings in Illustrator (CS 6), then export them as a .dxf file, and open them in the Laser software (a re-branded version of LaserCut called LaserDraw 1.0). The laser software is installed on a PC. I have tried .dxf files and .ai files but they just won't import into the LaserCut software. (I am exporting the .dxf files as AutoCad 2000). I wanted to avoid Corel because I am used to working with Adobe and didn't want to learn another program, but I guess I'll do that if I have to.

This is what I am doing currently:
-Open .jpg in illustrator
-Trace .jpg
-Expand Tracing
-export as .dxf

I know that some of you work with Macs, so I just wondered if you could suggest any tips for me (before I go completely batty). I am not really proficient in Illustrator so I don't really understand what I am doing as far as file formats go (and other stuff too). Sorry, this is so wordy. I never could keep things short!! :)
Thanks!
Sarah

Bert Kemp
03-29-2014, 3:46 PM
First question if the customer support is 5 star why can't they help with this problem. Second I can't even find this laser on their website to see what it is you have. Is this some discontinued model you have?

sarah beck
03-29-2014, 4:28 PM
Mike at Logilase has been trying to help me with this over the last few days, but is much more familiar with Corel than Adobe. He has made suggestions that I have tried, to no avail. Since he doesn't work with Photoshop, Illustrator or Macs, he can't fully address my questions. I thought I'd ask here as I know there are people here who do use those programs and Macs. It is a new system for them that isn't on their website yet. I was looking for something slightly different than what they had on their website and their new machine seemed the best fit for me.

Bill George
03-29-2014, 4:29 PM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post here. My turn to ask for help! I've been lurking for a few years on this forum, thirstily soaking up as much information as I can here. I've read hundreds of posts and they really helped me to decide which direction to go in when it came to buying my laser. I finally purchased a laser and it is all set up in my workshop. It is a Logilase Prime from Logilase in Toronto. Mike from Logilase has been a shining star (5 stars!!) when it comes to customer service and support. I must have sent him over 100 emails before actually purchasing the laser and he carefully and patiently answered each and every one. It is a 40W C02 laser.

Here's where I need some suggestions if anyone has any ideas:
I bought the laser for the main purpose of making wooden jewellery. (I'm sure I'll find lots more to do with it though!) I currently have an Etsy shop selling pinback buttons, cards, prints and other stuff. I want to take a lot of the artwork that I draw and sell as buttons and prints at the moment and turn those into engraved pendants, earrings etc. I am having a problem with getting my artwork into the laser software. Currently for my drawings I scan the line art that I draw, clean it up in Photoshop, export it to Illustrator, trace it and bring it back into Photoshop to colour. I am using a Mac.

So, I hoped that I could trace my drawings in Illustrator (CS 6), then export them as a .dxf file, and open them in the Laser software (a re-branded version of LaserCut called LaserDraw 1.0). The laser software is installed on a PC. I have tried .dxf files and .ai files but they just won't import into the LaserCut software. (I am exporting the .dxf files as AutoCad 2000). I wanted to avoid Corel because I am used to working with Adobe and didn't want to learn another program, but I guess I'll do that if I have to.

-Trace .jpg
-Expand Tracing
-export as .dxf

I know that some of you work with Macs, so I just wondered if you could suggest any tips for me (before I go completely batty). I am not really proficient in Illustrator so I don't really understand what I am doing as far as file formats go (and other stuff too). Sorry, this is so wordy. I never could keep things short!! :)
Thanks!
Sarah
Does Illustrator have more than one version of DXF file export? Most of the CAD programs I use and I even think the old version of Corel Draw has the same option. Make up a very simple file in Illustrator, and do some DXF file SAVE AS older versions. Try them all, and then see which ones open in your LaserCut, Works, whatever file. I can take DXF out of VCarve Pro 5.5 directly into my LaserCad 6.27 without a problem. I'd say most of the China imports with the DSP controller use more or less the same program by whatever name. Just made up a little test box in Corel 9.0 Exported as DXF and Imported it directly into LaserCad. It came in really small and I had to re-scale it to work with in LaserCad, but maybe that's your problem its there, but really small?

Bill Stearns
03-29-2014, 5:47 PM
Sarah -
Not sure this'll help. Who knows? This company was sending me their art (for plastic signs) - done with their CAD software. (don't know 'thing 'bout CAD.) Was having a pickle of a time figuring out how to utilize their illustrations. Learned I could bring it into, and open it, in Illustrator. (which I don't use very often) - but, next, needed to get it into Corel Draw X5 for engraving. Learned that - from Illustrator, I could save their work as "optimized PDF" - the optimizing (whatever that does) proved to be important! Once imported in to Corel Draw, I was able to "break the line elements apart" - and change them for either rastor engraving, or vector cutting. If converting to PDF helps 'n some way - double check the sizing of your illustration. (I've been told that PDF can slightly alter sizing. ??) Will now duck-out of this conversation 'cause files like dxf etc are above my pay scale ... good luck.

Bill

Kev Williams
03-29-2014, 6:03 PM
-Trace .jpg
-Expand Tracing
-export as .dxf

This is the procedure you're going thru to work with and save the graphics...

...What procedure are you following to import them into the software?

matthew knott
03-29-2014, 8:10 PM
Ok , try saving or exporting as an .ai file BUT under options make sure you select a legacy version, I normaly pick v3 but anything before v9 is normally ok, that should get you going, no need for dxf's just old school ai

sarah beck
03-29-2014, 8:22 PM
Thanks Bill, I tried all the different versions, but still none of them will open. I'm pretty sure the files aren't there, I zoomed way out and way in just to make sure they weren't really tiny, or off of the workspace, but no such luck.

sarah beck
03-29-2014, 8:26 PM
Oh yes, sorry, I should have said that. I go to "import" in the laser software and find the file and click it to import. In this way I have been able to open sample .dxf files that I didn't create myself; there is no problem with those ones, the ones I create in Illustrator are the problem. Thanks!

sarah beck
03-29-2014, 8:36 PM
I'm all for old school but when I try to import the .ai file it crashes the laser software. I'd love to skip the whole .dxf and stick with the old school. :) Maybe I am going to have to bit the bullet and switch to Corel.

sarah beck
03-29-2014, 8:37 PM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the help. Makes it a little less frustrating to have new steps to try.

Dave Sheldrake
03-29-2014, 9:12 PM
Illustrator uses a compression algo for DXF files that causes problems with the lasercut driver. (it can add z depths that the laser doesn't understand) overall Illustrator and Chinese lasers don't get on very well.

Try saving as an R14 DXF and see if that helps or switch off compression in illustrator.

If you have access to Autocad or Draftsite import the DXF and type "Flatten" on the command line, select all and save as an AutoCAD 2000 format to fix your existing files.

It came in really small and I had to re-scale it to work with in LaserCad

The unit setting in Corel is wrong Bill, it needs to be 1 unit = 1mm or the imported file comes in 10x too small.

( I hate Corel and Illustrator with a passion, customer files supplied from either are the bane of my life)

cheers

Dave

sarah beck
03-29-2014, 9:38 PM
Oops, should have said thank you "Bills"! :)

Doug Griffith
03-29-2014, 10:10 PM
It's very possible that the line breaks in the DXF file exported from Illustrator running on a Mac are Mac line breaks. The Windows software doesn't recognize them and imports the file as one long string thus breaking the code of the DXF file. You can open in a text editor and convert line breaks there or use software such as http://maccrafters.com/lbc/index.html

Kev Williams
03-30-2014, 12:03 PM
For kicks, try saving and importing as a .plt file, just to see what happens-- not a lot of goofy variables with HPGL files--

Ross Moshinsky
03-30-2014, 1:20 PM
I don't have a newer version of Illustrator but the version I do have is AWFUL at vector tracing. It may look decent, but it stacks colors on top of colors on top of colors. It's absolutely the worst way to deal with artwork when you are working with paths.

Take your file, bring it into Inkscape. Trace it there. Then export into Laserworks. I have a distinct feeling you'll have a lot more success. Gravostyle works a lot like Laserworks and Inkscape is my go to way to vector trace. It simply works better.

Khalid Nazim
03-30-2014, 6:18 PM
LaserCut will only import AI ver 8.0 files. So save your files in AI ver 8.0 and then try.

Regards
Khalid

Jonathan Bowen
03-30-2014, 7:25 PM
I work from inkscape all the time. You could save as an SVG and then export as a DXF. I think I'm using the stock DXf save as option. It might have been one of the many plugins for inkscape. It does say that it's R13. So you could try exporting as that if the R13 doesn't work. Inkscape doesn't like .ai files but it will take svg fine or even PDFs. I do all my text editing in inkscape.

sarah beck
03-31-2014, 2:55 PM
Ok, thanks again for all the suggestions. I managed to get some artwork done in Corel, but I think I might give Inkscape a try. It is strange using other programs. I have been using Photoshop (with Illustrator on the side) for so long now it is like groping around in the dark to use something else. But I am cutting stuff and having fun experimenting with the settings on the laser! I knew it would be awesome to own one. :)

Bill George
03-31-2014, 7:33 PM
I downloaded the 64 bit version of Inkscape . The installed version has a dark grey screen, any way to get it to standard Windows 7 color and display looking? I've used Photoshop for years, at one time used Corel draw for a previous CNC machine.

FYI the 64 Bit Version has no easy way to change the default black font on dark grey screen. Its now been un-installed. Went back to Corel Draw even the old 9.0 Version I have is easier to use than the 32 Bit version of Inkscape I just tried.