PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake season is here.

Rick Potter
03-29-2014, 1:55 PM
Got a 5.1 earthquake last evening. I was visiting with friends, and it was about 5 seconds long....enough to make comments on it while it was happening. Instead of a sharp bang, it was a roller/shaker in our area. That usually means the epicenter was a little ways away. Turns out is was about 25 miles away as the crow flies. It was the biggest one I have felt in about five years.

The local news had pictures of big screen TV's that fell on the floor in peoples homes, as well as the usual shots of grocery stores with packages in the aisles.

Well, Fire Season is over, Flood Season passed us by in most areas this year, so that I guess that leaves us Earthquake Season.

Rick Potter

PS: Bet Mike Henderson felt it pretty good.

Kent A Bathurst
03-29-2014, 2:24 PM
You forgot the plague of locusts, Rick.

Bruce Page
03-29-2014, 2:33 PM
I had just been discharged from the Army and was staying at a friends house off of Van Nuys blvd. in San Fernando when the 71’ Sylmar Quake hit. It’s something you never forget.

Mike Henderson
03-29-2014, 2:46 PM
Well, Fire Season is over, Flood Season passed us by in most areas this year, so that I guess that leaves us Earthquake Season.

Rick Potter

PS: Bet Mike Henderson felt it pretty good.
It wasn't too bad. Just some shaking but didn't really do any damage - nothing knocked off shelves. The dog started barking, wondering what was going on.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Mike

Jim Koepke
03-29-2014, 4:09 PM
To my surprise we are pretty inactive up here. Must be due to Mt. St. Helens releasing a lot of tension some 30 years ago.

I used to live in the Berkeley hills along one of the scarps of the Hayward fault. It was jiggling all the time. Mostly just felt like a big truck going by.

On a clear day we can see Mt. St. Helens when we get down off the hill and drive along the river and through town.

jtk

Shawn Pixley
03-29-2014, 4:21 PM
We felt in Ventura. It was a very shallow quake. So far 13 aftershocks with a magnitude more than 2.0.

Rick Potter
03-29-2014, 5:01 PM
Ventura? That really surprises me, that's pretty far. We only felt one of the aftershocks where we were, within a couple minutes of the first.

Rick P

PS: No Locusts, but we did have some kind of flying green beetle that came by the thousand and ruined all the fruit off our trees two years ago.. We had like a dozen on one individual apricot, and all the trees were loaded with them.

Jim Matthews
03-30-2014, 7:49 AM
I don't know how people can become tolerant of the Earth moving.

One 6.4 in 1992 sent me packing from Taiwan.
The aftershocks were the worst; and numbered in the hundreds.

In 1999, a much larger one hit and left 100,000 homeless.

It takes a more durable constitution than mine to tolerate a shifting Earth.

Joe Tilson
03-30-2014, 9:18 AM
We have had a couple of shakes here in South Carolina in the past month, the 1.+ type most people don't know what they are another man and I were in a building last Tuesday and the bottom fell out for a couple of seconds. We've felt them in Japan and Northern Cal. I think we will pack up and move to the center of the U.S.

Pat Barry
03-30-2014, 9:26 AM
We have had a couple of shakes here in South Carolina in the past month, the 1.+ type most people don't know what they are another man and I were in a building last Tuesday and the bottom fell out for a couple of seconds. We've felt them in Japan and Northern Cal. I think we will pack up and move to the center of the U.S.

Tornado season is just around the corner.

Shawn Pixley
03-30-2014, 11:49 AM
We felt it for maybe a second. Most didn't feel it.

Earthquake shaking can be felt a long way away. We felt the Hector Mine earthquake in 1999. That might be 125 miles away maybe more. During the New Madrid Quakes, in Missouri / Arkansas, the shaking was reported to have rung church bells in Boston. That was a big earthquake. But it also represents the difference in transmission between areas with little fracturing (eastern portion of the US) vs areas with many fractures (west coast).

Bruce Page
03-30-2014, 1:28 PM
One 6.4 in 1992 sent me packing from Taiwan.
The aftershocks were the worst; and numbered in the hundreds.

The 6.6 '71 Sylmar quake was enough to make me look for greener pastures. I have never felt the earth move in NM!

Brett Luna
03-30-2014, 2:01 PM
We just observed the 50th anniversary of the 1964 Good Friday earthquake. The strongest nearby quake I've experienced was a M5.6...not huge but very close, not too deep, and I was on the 20th floor of the (then) Phillips Alaska building at the time. It was quite the ride. Still, I can't imagine what 4 minutes of M9.2 would have been like.

Richard McComas
03-30-2014, 2:04 PM
We get lots of earthquakes here in Alaska. It's been a long while since we had one that was scary. Had a 4.7 yesterday.

http://earthquaketrack.com/quakes/2014-03-30-01-32-54-utc-4-7-83

Recent earthquake map.

http://www.aeic.alaska.edu/recent/macsub/

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2014, 2:06 PM
Yellowstone National Park had one this morning of a similar magnitude. Must be the season!