PDA

View Full Version : CA Glues

Jack Wood
06-22-2005, 7:36 AM
What's some opinions on CA(super glue) to join small boxes and the like? I was watching a woodworking show the other Saturday and a guy was using it to make bandsaw boxes and it looked like a great technique. Do you need the accelerator or can you just use the glue alone? What about the fumes? I've read where some people really get knocked back by them, fairly toxic stuff?:confused: And where is a good source for it? THANKS!

Lee DeRaud
06-22-2005, 9:35 AM
What's some opinions on CA(super glue) to join small boxes and the like?Works great for small stuff. Biggest problem with larger pieces is that the open time is so short, it's hard to get it spread on everything before it dries.
I was watching a woodworking show the other Saturday and a guy was using it to make bandsaw boxes and it looked like a great technique. Do you need the accelerator or can you just use the glue alone?Sounds like a rerun of "American Woodshop": Scott Phillips uses more accelerator than he does glue.:) I haven't run into a situation yet that really needed it, then again, I don't try to build a bandsaw box in 24 minutes.:p
What about the fumes? I've read where some people really get knocked back by them, fairly toxic stuff?:confused:Never noticed any fumes. I know the glue itself is toxic, and they use the fumes to bring up fingerprints on "CSI", but I think you'd have to be in a really confined space for it to be a problem.
And where is a good source for it? THANKS!By "good", I assume you mean "cheap"...wish I knew. I stocked up last week when Rockler had it on sale, but it's still pretty pricey. Then again, you don't use all that much of it.

Per Swenson
06-22-2005, 10:44 AM
There is a company called Fastcap. Their CA glue is called

2P10, The difference between this product and just about any other,

brings to mind a Yugo /Rolls Royce analogy. This glue is also not

affected by the acidic content of hardwoods. It really is amazing

and I have come to rely on it for installs a ton. Fast cap pays me nothing.

This stuff is all that and more. http://www.fastcap.com/prod2.asp?page=2p108oz

I hope this helps.

Per

RANDY PAULK
06-22-2005, 12:37 PM
There Is A Company Out Of California That Sells The Glue In 16 Oz Bottles. They Supply You With Small Bottles For Use For Free. They Send You The Glue After A Telephone Call To Their 800 Number. They Are On The Honor System. They Send The Invoice For The Glue In The Box With The Glue And Allow You To Mail Them A Check After You Get The Glue. They Have Thick, Medium And Thin As Well As Black And The Acceleorator, Etc. I Don't Remember The Name But Their Add Is Listed In Many Of The Wood Working Magazines For Turners. THE COMPANY IS CPH INTERNATIONAL IN LOS ANGELES CA.

randy

John Lucas
06-22-2005, 1:28 PM
Per the Per post,
I use the FastCap gel form of CA. I find it easier to spread but I always use the accelerator. By itself, it takes minutes. With the accelerator it takes 11 seconds. You spray the accelerator on to one section and the gel on the other. I find it great for jigs when the time clock is ticking. Like all other CA glues, you can get some on your fingers and get into trouble real fast...be careful.
(aka: StarBond) – 213-382-7788 This is the number for the CPH International company. They dont have a web site.

Rick Lizek
06-22-2005, 2:00 PM
http://www.starbond.com/

Jack Wood
06-22-2005, 10:59 PM
Thanks! I stopped at a local RC plane/car shop this afternoon and bought some to try. I tested it on walnut, oak, pine and teak. The walnut and pine seemed to do the best, the oak was ok, but the teak hardly worked at all:confused: Does it have some chemical difference from the others? I tried with and with out the accelerant.

Lee DeRaud
06-23-2005, 1:10 AM
Thanks! I stopped at a local RC plane/car shop this afternoon and bought some to try. I tested it on walnut, oak, pine and teak. The walnut and pine seemed to do the best, the oak was ok, but the teak hardly worked at all:confused: Does it have some chemical difference from the others? I tried with and with out the accelerant.Maybe oil from the wood interfering with the bond? Try rubbing the mating surfaces with acetone just before you put the glue on, see if that helps.