PDA

View Full Version : SawStop owners

Jay Jolliffe
03-29-2014, 8:56 AM
A few weeks ago I happen to set of the break by hitting my miter gauge. You have to really look for the the scatch on the metal bar. After I struggled to get the cartage & blade off at the same time I put a new cartage & blade back on. Now when I start the saw it makes a small squeal when starting. I checked the belt & it has the 1/4'' deflection it suppose to have. Also when I shut the saw off it makes a sound like the bearing is bad when it winds down...anyone else have this ?

Don Huffer
03-29-2014, 9:00 AM
Bummer. Shouldn't your query be directed to Sawstop?

David Hawxhurst
03-29-2014, 9:29 AM
it is very possible that the brake caused a bearing to go bad. a sudden lateral load applied to a bearing not designed for lateral loads does bad thing to them.

Dan Lee
03-29-2014, 11:19 AM
Jay
Yes I own a SS. I've set mine off twice in 7 years and don't have the problem you describe.
dan

Shawn Pixley
03-29-2014, 11:32 AM
I have never experienced that issue. Did you get the mechanism to fully reset? You have to get it pulled up and lock in the active position. You can call Sawstop's customer service. It is excellent.

Larry Frank
03-29-2014, 9:36 PM
The SawStop customer service is excellent. I would either call or send them an email.

I also have set mine off with the aluminum miter gauge and you have to go through the procedure to get it properly reset. I have not heard of anyone who had any damage to the saw from setting off the brake.

Chris Fournier
03-30-2014, 12:38 PM
I highly doubt that you have a bearing problem as long as re-assembly was done correctly, you might, but it's a long shot. For the start up squeal you can buy belt dressing from 3M that quiets this up, it's cheap and it works. .

Jay Jolliffe
03-31-2014, 4:50 PM
I guess it pays to look in the book of what to do after you set the break off. I didn't reset it as Shawn & Larry said. Called Sawstop & the tech told me what to do...Shows it always pays to read the manual..