PDA

View Full Version : You know it's summer...

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-22-2005, 4:12 AM
...when the shop thermometer says 97.4 degrees at 3:00 in the afternoon. After it's been open all day. :eek:

I don't even notice it anymore. :(

KC

John Hart
06-22-2005, 6:35 AM
My parents keep telling me that I ought to move to San Antonio. As much as I love the area...I just can't get past that heat. I would just stand around and sweat.:o

Ken Weaver
06-22-2005, 7:02 AM
My parents keep telling me that I ought to move to San Antonio. As much as I love the area...I just can't get past that heat. I would just stand around and sweat.:o

Actually, my experience in San Angelo was quite comfortable, the humidy is usually so low you don't get a chance to sweat and it doesn't feel like 97. Which means you still have to be careful because you can dehydrate without realizing it.

Kirk (KC) Constable
06-22-2005, 7:32 AM
Actually, my experience in San Angelo was quite comfortable, the humidy is usually so low you don't get a chance to sweat and it doesn't feel like 97. Which means you still have to be careful because you can dehydrate without realizing it.

Big difference between San Angelo and San Antonio. We have humidity a'plenty here. :(

That said, I grew up in Indiana...so it was kind of a switch for me. You really DO get used to it. Come on down, John. :)

Kelly C. Hanna
06-22-2005, 7:41 AM
No way I'd live anywhere close to SA....way too humid for me. It's bad enough here in Dallas (I wouldn't live here either if'n I had the chance to escape)!

lou sansone
06-22-2005, 8:21 AM
we were meant to live in new england :D guys... that is why it was settled in the first place

hey it gets hot up here as well, but not like it does in SA
lou

Kelly C. Hanna
06-22-2005, 8:40 AM
Well, if it means I can come by and hang out in your shop, I'm there!!!! :D :D :D

Mike Wilkins
06-22-2005, 9:30 AM
You know its summer in Eastern North Carolina when the mosquitoes treat you like a walking buffet. When its 90 in the shade.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-22-2005, 9:36 AM
It has been in the 90's with high humidity even in WI!! The workshop has been hotter than.. well you know! Glad I am done with the woodworking on the SUPER SECRET projects.

John Hart
06-22-2005, 9:37 AM
What we have are "Canadian Soldiers". Some folks call them Midges but I just call them a lot of bad names. We're talking billions of these things. They look like mosquitos but they don't bite. That's the up side. The down side is that they are attracted to light so all our exterior surfaces are carpeted with them every morning.

Steve Cox
06-22-2005, 9:46 AM
Mosquitos? Midges? Heat? Humidity? What are those things?:D Up here in Pacific Northwest, it's been sunny, dry, and I was burning up when it got to 80 the other day. Have a great day guys!:D :D :D :D ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Well.....according to the Weather Channel it was 100 F here yesterday.....I'm not sure but I know it was at least in the mid 90s. Though we are in northcentral Idaho we are at the lowest elevation in the state. Mainstreet is about 650' above sea level and where I live is about 800' above that so about 1450' above sea level. As a result we often get some really warm weather here. I've seen 120F since arriving here 23 years ago. Best news is we have low humidity during these warm spells. But even with low humidity when it gets above 100F it's still HOT! But with low humidity, at least the sweating does help cool your body!

John Hart
06-22-2005, 10:32 AM
If you'd like to see a "Midges Storm" watch tonight's game between the Cleveland Indians and the BoSox. Chances are, when the sun goes down, the pitcher will be swarmed. Personally, I don't know how they concentrate to throw a pitch or to hit a ball.

John Hemenway
06-22-2005, 10:38 AM
Houses are $0.5mil+, cherry is $7/bf but the weather is nice! High yesterday was 75, gonna be 79 today. No bugs to speak of, just a few ( <10) mosquitoes at dusk and (usually) no rain from April-November.
I was born in New Orleans and lived there for 14 years. I went to high school in Bakersfield (100 degree+ common in summer). I know hot and humid and hot and dry. I prefer NOT HOT!!!
Thank you very much, I'll stay in California - with 25 million of my closest friends.

Ken Garlock
06-22-2005, 11:16 AM
Well Gents, I spent the first 39 years of my existence in the north, 4 years in the Boston area while in the USAF, and the remainder in Akron Ohio. I moved to Dallas in July,1979. Summer of 1980 was a record year for heat, it got up to 113 in Dallas.

Would I move back to northern Ohio, not on a bet. Every time I have been there since moving, I find it depressing. The old dingy houses look like the devil, and there appears to be many of them. You can have it. The coldest I have experienced was in Akron while in college, 24 below zero, never again.

The four years in Boston was interesting from a historical perspective. There are lots to see and to do. Being in the military, I was not subjected to being a resident with all the accompanying features like outrageous auto insurance cost, and taxes. Interesting people however, I would estimate that more of them have been to Europe on vacation than the western US. Going 300 miles to NYC is a major project that takes weeks of planing, give me break.

So my position on Texas versus the north land is this. When it is over 100 degrees in Texas I can find a shady spot and sit down and survive for a reasonable period of time. You can't do that up north when it is zero or lower. We cope with the heat by air conditioning everything. The only time you notice the heat is when you go from one AC area to another.

I have not traveled to the extent that some you have, but I have yet to find the perfect place to live. I thought Hawaii was ideal, then I found out that you need to have your home "tented" for termites twice a year. And don't get your furniture too close to the walls or it will be eaten.

If I had to make a choice, I would probably opt for the Pacific northwest. Since don't have to make that choice, I will stay right here on my 5 acres and an air conditioned shop.

Dan Stuewe
06-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Though we are in northcentral Idaho we are at the lowest elevation in the state.

I'm sorry Ken, but "northcentral Idaho"? :confused: What is that? A strip of land a couple miles wide? How do you tell the difference between northwest/northcentral/northeast Idaho? :D ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Dan.....Idaho is a long state like California or Illinois. It goes from Utah to the south to the Canadian Border. In fact, it is long enough that the southern half of the state is in the Mountain Time Zone and the northern half is in the Pacific Time Zone. The Salmon River at Riggins, Idaho is the time line dividing line.

From the Canadian Border to Boise is well over 400 miles. And Boise isn't at the southern end of the state. It's 260 miles from Lewiston to Boise and only 300 miles from Lewiston to Portland or Seattle.

There is a significant difference in the weather and vegetation found in northern/northcentral Idaho and southern Idaho too. Our weather here is more of the Pacific North West weather while southern Idaho gets more of the Rocky Mountain weather patterns. We get more rain and snow in the mountains during normal weather years than southern Idaho gets. As a result our vegetation is different and more dense. Here in the mountains if you get off a trail, the vegetation is dense enough that if you don't want to be seen, you won't.

North Central Idaho is about 215 miles wide....Lewiston to Missoula, MT. There is currently only one 2 lane highway that goes from the southern end of Idaho to the northern end (US-95). I can actually drive to Portland or Seattle as fast as driving to Boise in good weather and faster in bad weather.

PS.....I didn't make up this "north central Idaho" nomenclature.....I just inherited it from the locals when I moved here 23 years ago. :confused: :D

Mike Scoggins
06-22-2005, 1:13 PM
I grew up in the dry climate of west Texas (not too far from Lubbock), lived in the Dallas area for 7 or so years, and then moved to the Houston area in 1994. Each move came with more humidity. At first, I thought I would never get used to the humidity, but I finally have (or at least I can tolerate it now). To be honest, I think it took me 5+ years to get accustomed to the Houston humidity. I think what made the biggest difference for me was when I started running a few years back during the heat of the summer. My body sort of shifted gears in terms of dealing with it.

Anyway, as some have already said, if it's 100 degrees F or above, it's hot, be it in high humidity or dry climate. Brings back vision of the Far Side cartoon with the skeleton in the desert with the caption reading: "But it's a dry heat." ;) The heat index (the "feels like" temperature) in Houston is typically over 100 deg F once the temperature reaches 93 deg F or so when humidity is factored into the equation.

Anyway, happy summer to all! I sure wish I could get away for a few days to the mountains of Colorado about now. :)

Mike

Chris Padilla
06-22-2005, 1:15 PM
Ah, California...land of fruits and nuts but I know a few normal people.

I'm originally from Colorado and I can't handle the humidy much further East than that. California is a very nice compromise but I must admit that I miss snow...nice dry, fluffy powder that my skis disappear into.... :D :D :D

Paul Canaris
06-22-2005, 2:01 PM
You know it's summer when "your at work having a problem concentrating because all you can think about is how nice it would be to not be at work"

Vaughn McMillan
06-22-2005, 5:01 PM
Ah, California...land of fruits and nuts but I know a few normal people.

I'm originally from Colorado and I can't handle the humidy much further East than that. California is a very nice compromise but I must admit that I miss snow...nice dry, fluffy powder that my skis disappear into.... :D :D :D
I'm with you, Chris. (BTW, I'm not a fruit, but I'm probably one of the nuts. Definitely not completely normal.) ;)

I grew up in New Mexico (Albuquerque and also points north of there) and don't handle humidity very well. I did, however, get accustomed to seeing 4 seasons ranging from hot and dry to cold and snowy. Now that I'm in Southern California, I miss the seasons (if you don't count the fire season, the flood season, the earthquake season, and the riot season) but the mild weather is pretty hard to beat. Still, when it's nearing 100 degrees, it's hot, I don't care who or where you are.

- Vaughn

Don Selke
06-22-2005, 5:04 PM
It was 114 here in Chandler AZ. yesterday and at 9AM it was about 101 today. I am in the shop at 5:30 AM and done at 10AM. Sawdust and sweat just does not go hand in hand. But as they say, it is a dry heat:eek: I do all my finishing in the AM first thing and use retarder in my water born products. Humidity or mansoon season will start soon Oh well I work all winter with the garage doors wide open except for the early AM.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-22-2005, 6:06 PM
I grew up in the White Sands area (ALamogordo) of NM. Loved the weather...so what am I doing here? Hating the humdity and heat combo, that's for sure!

Keith Christopher
06-22-2005, 11:00 PM
Want humidity, live in a state where it's almost split in half by a bay ! :) but seriously it's not been too bad temp wise. nice cool evenings. that just means august and sept are gonna be scorchers and dripping in humidity.