PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Unisaw

Scott Austin
03-28-2014, 8:09 PM
I've been researching/looking for a unisaw for quite a while. The good ones go quick & I really didn't want 3 phase if I didn't have too.

Today I picked up this beauty . It's a 1945 Unisaw, repainted & gone thru. I like the looks of the older ones. I would have loved to have redone it myself but , I can't justify taking the time to do that when I have paying jobs lined up. Kinda feel like the guy that buy's a muscle car and takes it to a cruise.

Paid $ 850, he said he had others lined up if I fell thru, so I didn't even try to haggle. Has a 1.5 motor wired for 110.

How did I do ?

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/asset.php?fid=267179&uid=55744&d=1396051330

Carroll Courtney
03-28-2014, 9:01 PM
Very nice addition to your shop,I had one afew yrs ago and regret selling it.That saw will run for the rest of your life,back then they were made to last.Congrats----Carroll

Mark Carlson
03-28-2014, 10:40 PM
I like the look of old machines too. The new ones have no style. $850 seems like a good deal to me.

~mark

Jamie Buxton
03-28-2014, 11:25 PM
My Unisaw is a few years newer, but essentially identical to yours. Mine has built a lot of furniture and cabinets in the last thirty years.

The one significant remodel I've done is to put a newer fence on mine. The original-equipment Jet-Lock fence wouldn't always clamp down parallel to the blade, so I always set the fence by measuring at the front of the blade and at the rear. I now have a Biesemeyer clone.

Rick Potter
03-29-2014, 3:49 AM
I had a 1 1/2 HP unisaw for about 10 years, then got a 3HP 20 years ago. Sold the 1 1/2 for $1,000 without even advertising it. A guy came to the garage door while trick or treating with his kids. It was a great saw.

Rick Potter

Jim Daughtridge
03-29-2014, 8:52 AM
You may have some purchase regrets in your lifetime, but this won't be one of them. Mine has not skipped a beat since I introduced it to my shop 25 years ago.

Don Huffer
03-29-2014, 9:06 AM
I love mine. Been cutting for 27 years no break downs. But you gota throw out the jet lock and put a good fence on it and really get the most out of it.

Craig Behnke
03-29-2014, 9:24 AM
A guy came to the garage door while trick or treating with his kids. It was a great saw. Rick Potter

That's funny. I have had to fend off several guys from making offers on my tools in the garage (that aren't for sale) when I'm having a yard sale. Even when the items for sale are nowhere near the garage and I have signs that clearly state the tools in garage are NOT for sale, some guys make offers on certain tools. Doesn't bother me at all, it's funny, and I do the same thing when I see something I really admire. I know it's very unlikely the person will sell it, but it's a way to compliment them by saying I really like their choice of tools, they buy quality stuff, yada, yada. It's fun.