PDA

View Full Version : Airline reducing legroom between seats......?

Chuck Wintle
03-28-2014, 6:38 PM
I know why airlines are reducing the leg room in the coach section...its to improve their profits on each fligh by packing in more people. But I wonder why since most north american are nor getting any smaller wouldn't the airline lose in the long run with reduced ridership? Imagine a passenger now with no leg room after a 4-5 hour flight all cramped up and miserable...would they want to go back to the same airline?

Harry Hagan
03-28-2014, 6:57 PM
Due to the rapid increase in Hispanic population—the average USA resident is getting shorter; which would help with leg room. But unfortunately, we’re also getting wider! :eek:

Chuck Wintle
03-28-2014, 7:16 PM
Due to the rapid increase in Hispanic population—the average USA resident is getting shorter; which would help with leg room. But unfortunately, we’re also getting wider! :eek:

yes the big problem!

Pat Barry
03-28-2014, 7:21 PM
Delta now offers the ability for you to upgrade to Economy Comfort which is just like Coach used to be for only a nominal fee. I thought - what a ripoff - then I sat in standard coach for 10+ hours going to and from Ireland and I'll never do it again. I'll gladly pay the upgrade fee. Coach is made for children, small women, and dwarfs.

Mike Henderson
03-28-2014, 7:50 PM
"We have met the enemy and he is us." Travelers make a decision on which flight to take based on price, only. So if an airline can squeeze a few more seats in, they can reduce their fares and more people will buy their tickets. When we, the travelers, start making purchase decisions based on comfort, the airlines will offer more comfort at a higher price. In fact, that's what Premium Economy is.

Mike

Brian Elfert
03-28-2014, 7:59 PM
Flights are still nearly full so airlines won't change things until business starts to slow. Even when business does slow the airlines have been reducing flights by parking older planes and laying off employees instead of dropping prices. Airlines made tons of money last year. Delta made a $10 billion profit last year on revenues of $33 billion or so. People bitch about oil companies making money, but the airlines made far more profit on a percentage basis.

I know a lot of people who won't fly anymore due to price, security hassles, and lack of comfort on planes. The prices are also getting to be sky high. It used to be easy to fly almost anywhere for $200 to $300. Those days are mostly gone and $350 or more seems to be the new normal. An extra $600 for a family of four is a lot to handle.

Chuck Wintle
03-28-2014, 8:16 PM
Delta now offers the ability for you to upgrade to Economy Comfort which is just like Coach used to be for only a nominal fee. I thought - what a ripoff - then I sat in standard coach for 10+ hours going to and from Ireland and I'll never do it again. I'll gladly pay the upgrade fee. Coach is made for children, small women, and dwarfs.
not everyone is a child, woman or a dwarf. Unfortunately plentiful food during our youth has created a generation of large people...How much can we squeeze into those small seats?