PDA

View Full Version : "What a cute little saw"...

Bob Borzelleri
06-22-2005, 2:19 AM
said my wife when she drove in from the 45 mile commute today. Being retired with a working wife has its ups and its not-so-ups. The obvious up is being free to do whatever I want to do pretty much every day. The not-so-up is being free to do pretty much whatever I want to do every day.

Today is day xxx of way too many days of putting up paneling in the shop. You would think that four 24 foot walls with six windows and a large roll up door wouldn't be all that time consuming, but given that I did it twice (3/8" OSB first and 3/8" pine paneling next), had to cut 22 outlets (twice), still have to trim windows and that I still have several panels to install, the old circular saw with the cord seems to have been putting on weight of late.

So off I go to the computer to search for a reasonably necessary tool, not to replace the old Makita 7 1/2", but to augment it. Several manufacturers make lighter saws than the Makita, but strange as it may seem, the cord has started feeling heavy, particularly when I cut panels on the 2x4 frame I have laid out on the concrete in front of the shop (my TS has not been visible since I started the re-wall effort). Stooping and bending with the saw turned barbell and hooking the cord around the straight edge or the cat started getting pretty old so I included a cordless trim saw into the search.

Prices for these things are all over the place even for the same saw. And then, I had to think about introducing the saw to my still working wife. Makita makes a 3+" trim saw that would probably work fine if thin paneling is all I need to cut. The 6 1/2" cordless saws are lighter than the Makita, but not by much. Enter the Dewalt DW935. Small and light, powerful enough at 14.4V and with a 5 3/8" blade, capable to cut the every so often larger than thin sheet stuff as well as a 2x4 or two.

First price I find causes palpitations ($240). I wondered if I had wandered into a Canadian web site. Then I saw a Ridgid cordless on sale for $149 at the Depot. It was a 6 1/2" saw and still a bit heavy, but at least it was a lot less than $240.

Undecided, I decided to drop in to Lowes on the way home where I ran across a kid wearing a bright yellow shirt with DeWalt patches all over it. I asked him "why the loud shirt?" and he noted that he didn't really work for DeWalt, he was a Lowes guy who drew the short straw. "OK, so other than the shirt, why are those little Dewalt cordless saws so expensive?", I asked. And, wonder of wonders, he said, "have I got a deal for you". The formerly $240 saw was now $160 with one battery and a case or in a kit with a 14.4V driver (didn't they used to be called drills?) with 2 batteries and the nifty hard case for $169.

And that was what my wife saw when she drove in tonight. That little zonker yellow and underpriced saw caught her eye as though it was a new kitten. No questions about how much it cost or "do you really need another tool?". Just a true and pure appreciation for the cute little saw that it was.

Now if only the Fein Multi thing had been yellow...

...Bob

Vaughn McMillan
06-22-2005, 3:08 AM
Great story Bob, and I can relate. The LOML likes my new TS better than the old one because it's orange and "prettier".

- Vaughn

Mike Cutler
06-22-2005, 5:17 AM
You're going to like that saw Bob. It's hard to really appreciate just how annoying the cord in a CS can be, until you don't have to fight it. Nice find and nice gloat. It is a "cute"" little saw.

Lee DeRaud
06-22-2005, 9:44 AM
Several manufacturers make lighter saws than the Makita, but strange as it may seem, the cord has started feeling heavy, particularly when I cut panels on the 2x4 frame I have laid out on the concrete in front of the shop (my TS has not been visible since I started the re-wall effort). Stooping and bending with the saw turned barbell and hooking the cord around the straight edge or the cat started getting pretty old so I included a cordless trim saw into the search.Last time I had to do something like this, I hooked one end of a 3' bungee cord to a garage rafter over the center of the cutting area and the other end to the cord where it plugged into the extension. Worked great at keeping the excess slack off the floor and out of the way.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-22-2005, 10:16 AM
That is a great story Bob! You have to find out if the Festool black and green is "cute" :)

Steve Cox
06-22-2005, 11:29 AM
I bought a Bosch 18v cordless set a couple of years ago, mainly for the drill and the jig saw. It came with a circular saw and my thought was "that'll be pretty much worthless". Boy was I suprised. I had some 12" wide OSB that had been used for shelving by the previous owner of the house so I started cross cutting to see how much power there was. 86 cuts later I was just starting to lose power. More than adequate for what I use a circular saw for. I think you will be quite happy.

Bob Borzelleri
06-22-2005, 1:22 PM
That is a great story Bob! You have to find out if the Festool black and green is "cute" :)

I think I'm already out of luck on that count, Jeff. My wife was with me when I visited my friend who had just bought the entire Festool catalog. I thought I might have to take her to an opthalmologist to have the glazed over look removed from her eyes.

Silas Smith
06-22-2005, 3:24 PM
I have a 18V Ridgid set and I can't believe how often I use the circular saw. I have cut countless 3/4 plywood sheets up to rough size and it works great. I think you will find yourself wondering how you got along without it.