PDA

View Full Version : Retirement Anniversary

Raymond Fries
03-28-2014, 6:02 PM
One year ago today, I left my job for good. YAY

Times passes so quickly.

Just enjoying life with family and my favorite hobby of woodworking.

Enjoy life whether you are retired or not...

Bruce Page
03-28-2014, 6:39 PM
Yep, I retired almost 3 1/2 years ago. It seems like six months.

paul cottingham
03-28-2014, 9:29 PM
Yep, I was forced to retire for medical reasons 11 years ago almost to the day. I miss working, (a great deal!) but am enjoying retirement. More woodworking, and time with my daughter!

Bill McNiel
03-30-2014, 1:42 PM
A friend of mine confided that the best thing about retirement is Sunday evening.

Bruce Page
03-30-2014, 1:50 PM
A friend of mine confided that the best thing about retirement is Sunday evening.

I look at it as Every day is Saturday.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2014, 1:58 PM
My retirement 3 years ago was caused by medical and safety reasons. I have enjoyed retirement immensely!

Brian Elfert
03-30-2014, 2:09 PM
You guys are lucky that you actually get to retire. I'll probably have to work until I die. My generation will have paid the higher FICA taxes for our entire working lives yet Social Security will almost certainly be reduced by the time I turn 67. I'm putting a good chunk of money in my 401k every paycheck yet I still need ten times what I have saved just to put food on the table when I retire. Hardly anybody in my generation has a pension unless they work for government.

Somebody who just retired at age 58 called into a radio show about finances last night. He was worried he retired from the Post Office too early even though he gets a $4,000 pension and his wife still works. He said his monthly expenses are under $3,000 a month. He and his wife own two paid for homes and they have over $600,000 in retirement savings. He plans to sell one house for nearly $400,000. The radio host told him to quit worrying about money. She said he and his wife would have nearly $1 million after selling one house and might never need to touch that money with the pension.

I would love to be in this guy's position when I retire, but it will never happen.

paul cottingham
03-30-2014, 5:20 PM
Oh, I worry about money, but I will never work again, so I just deal with it. We are lucky enough to own a good chunk of our house, and are used to living on little. What extra we have goes to our daughters education, she has special needs, so attends private school. I like the peace of mind it brings.