PDA

View Full Version : Rotary problem with a vase

Mark Ward
03-28-2014, 3:09 PM
We are just getting to grips with our rotary still, managed glasses and we wanted to have a practise on a vase.
Now I may be being stupid and it is simply a case that the vase hole is too big and thus can't be used with the rotary but wanted to check I'm not missing something obvious.
As you can see in the picture the lip of the vase won't allow us to get the rotary piece down inside the vase to give it a snug fit, we have turned it around the other way and it will fit in however the vase seems to slip slightly as it rotates around.
I can't even raise the height of the right hand cone or exchange it for the rollers I have! :confused:

Are we best just moving on and finding a smaller lipped vase to try or have I missed something very simple here?

Scott Shepherd
03-28-2014, 3:29 PM
Cut a ring out of plywood or acrylic. The rotary part goes into the inside of the ring, the vase goes on the outside of the ring.

Tony Lenkic
03-28-2014, 4:34 PM
Try roll of masking or packaging tape if it will give you enough holding area.

Kev Williams
03-28-2014, 5:05 PM
It only came with one cylinder cone?

Mike Null
03-28-2014, 5:32 PM
You can tape fiberboard blocks to the cone to secure the vase similar to the drawing.

Mark Ward
03-28-2014, 6:02 PM
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys, what a great set of thinkers you all are, will have a try with these suggestions tomorrow :)

Kev, it came with an outward cyclinder and an inward cylinder (if that makes sence), one at each end!

David Somers
03-28-2014, 6:29 PM
Mark,

As you play with your rotary and need more ideas, both the engravers forum and the wood turning forum are good resources. Wood turners have a pretty broad range of solutions to work holding on a lathe, and what your rotary is nothing more than a slow moving lathe. Have any nearby woodturning friends? They could probably help make you simple things to help as well.

Also,

When you are next in a big box store or a craft store pick up a couple of sheets of 1/4 foam rubber, the soft yellowy stuff, as well as sheets of craft foam. They make excellent padding and non slip material for your work holds.

Dave

Jim Coffee
03-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Regarding the 'slipping'. I put D cell batteries into some of the things that I engrave when using the Rotary attachment. They add weight...and roll.

Tony Lenkic
03-29-2014, 3:53 PM
Jim,

Mark has a Trotec machine/rotary attachment that actually grips the object and rotates it unlike Epilog unit that just rolls it and object is freely turning.

Check it out here:------------------http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoRteyD6KUw

Rolf Randby
03-30-2014, 10:34 AM
We are just getting to grips with our rotary still, managed glasses and we wanted to have a practise on a vase.
Now I may be being stupid and it is simply a case that the vase hole is too big and thus can't be used with the rotary but wanted to check I'm not missing something obvious.
As you can see in the picture the lip of the vase won't allow us to get the rotary piece down inside the vase to give it a snug fit, we have turned it around the other way and it will fit in however the vase seems to slip slightly as it rotates around.
I can't even raise the height of the right hand cone or exchange it for the rollers I have! :confused:
Are we best just moving on and finding a smaller lipped vase to try or have I missed something very simple here?

You can easily make cones of any size by modifying a plastic funnel of the proper size. Picture - below:
Sorry for the small drawing. Get a funnel and dowel of the correct size, laser cut a disc with a whole to fit the dowel and the dia. of the funnel. Glue together with plumbers epoxy cement and cut off spout if needed.
For a better grip, glue three tree strips of rubber or use stencil Adhesive. Stencil adhesive dries tacky :-)