PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on gift for excellent contractor (PICS)

RichMagnone
06-22-2005, 12:35 AM
In 2003, my wife and I purchased a "cottage" (read dump... in fact, in the words of one of the neighbors up there "the place was a dump 20 years ago") in Northern Wisconsin.

Since then, we have been renovating it with the help of a contractor. Although I served as the general and he was the main carpenter, he basically ran the show because I spend my workweek here in Chicago.

In any event, the job is done (save for a very few woodworking projects I have saved for myself). It was no small rehab - basically a full gut job. In fact, we lifted the 26 x 26 cottage up, moved it, put down a new foundation and new basement and then added on a 24 x 14 section.

Here are some pics of the original cottage (yes, that's me in front) and some of the finished work.

My question is this: I want to show this contractor my appreciation for what I consider extremely fine work (much better quality than I would find for a comparable price here in Chicago), but the contractor is not a "woodworker" per se, I have ruled out my original thought of an LV or bridge city plane or some such woodworking trinket. Can anyone suggest a good gift for a contractor? I do feel that I paid him a fair price for a good job and, frankly, I was an pretty easy client. Any thoughts?

RichMagnone
06-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Just a few more shots. Notice the old doors are now the doors to the master bedroom and some old windows have been "built in" and made into display cabinets. FYI, that vanity is also a custom job.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-22-2005, 1:07 AM
We got a $500 tip for a job we did...split it with Lamar and it was much appreciated on both counts. Cash works best!!

Beautiful house BTW and a nice setting for it as well. Send more pics when you can!

Cecil Arnold
06-22-2005, 1:09 AM
You might want to consider something that would make him more productive. Depending on how much you want to spend you could consider the festool saw and vac, or a really good set of 18v. cordless power tools (Bosch mybe since I think they make a very good tool).

Corey Hallagan
06-22-2005, 1:22 AM
Idon't know about the gift but that is a great little cottage! Very nice!

Corey

Peter Stahl
06-22-2005, 6:24 AM
Very nice job on the cottage. As for the gift, I would do either cash of a gift certificate from his favorite borg.

John Hart
06-22-2005, 7:00 AM
Yeah...I would have to agree with cash. That's always appreciated. Nice little "dump" by the way...when can I move in?:rolleyes:

Frank Pellow
06-22-2005, 8:16 AM
I had a similar situation recently. That is, a contractor who did a great job but who does not really want tools for his private use. I would have prefered to get him a really good tool but I realized, in time, that I was letting my preferences rule. In the end I gave him cash, and I knoiw that the gesture was well appreciated. His wife even phoned me to tell me so.

Oh yes, congratulations on the great looking cottage.

Michael Gabbay
06-22-2005, 8:21 AM
Cash is King! Followed by booze. :D

Some guys are particular about tools so its hard to say what he might like or need. Cash works best IMHO.

He did a nice job. You have a great cabin.

Mike

Frank Carpenter
06-22-2005, 8:48 AM
Our forum host, Keith Outten, makes an awesome presentation plaque. He can put a picture of your finished cottage on it.

Tim Morton
06-22-2005, 8:55 AM
I think cash is good, but also a scrap book, before and after for him to present to prospective clients with a glowing letter of recomendation would be good.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-22-2005, 9:02 AM
I think cash is good, but also a scrap book, before and after for him to present to prospective clients with a glowing letter of recomendation would be good.
This suggestion is a GREAT one! It would really help him with future clients. If someone went to the work of creating him a scrapbook, they must have been very impressed.

Kevin Post
06-22-2005, 9:22 AM
What about one of those refrigerators with a beer tapper in the door? :D http://home.centurytel.net/rockyroad/images/beers.gif

Tim Morton
06-22-2005, 9:25 AM
What about one of those refrigerators with a beer tapper in the door? :D

now you're talking...a kegorator!!!*LOL*:D

Jim Becker
06-22-2005, 9:32 AM
I'm with Kelly...I think that a cash tip is the kind of gift that works the best, although accompanying it with something small that you have made in your shop is a nice gesture.

mike malone
06-22-2005, 9:35 AM
[QUOTE=RichMagnone]In 2003, my wife and I purchased a "cottage" (read dump... in fact, in the words of one of the neighbors up there "the place was a dump 20 years ago") in Northern Wisconsin.

Hey Rich
"..have canoe, will travel"
nice job

mike

Chad Pater
06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
Cash...here is another reason, any tools he buys for himself are tax deductable. The cash he can use on personal expense and buy his own tool and receive a deduction. Small point I suppose.
BTW I like the scrape book idea too.
Chad

RichMagnone
06-22-2005, 12:50 PM
Cash it is.

I really like the idea of a scrap book - I have given him a key and told him that he can feel free to bring people over whenever he wants, as we keep the place at "show" quality when we leave (rule #1 of cabin: do not leave it dirty - more fun when you come back!) but I think a nice letter and pics (we have plenty) would be real good.

Thanks for the great idea.

By the way, I'll post a few close ups of some of the trim work - just a top notch job. When you use stained wood, you really need to be dead on because you can't fix it with caulk. The craftsmanship was flat out incredible.

Richard Wolf
06-22-2005, 5:39 PM
Sorry to jump in so late. Don't give cash, I know its nice and I get alot of cash tips, but its not speacial, kind of lacks creativity. My best tips are a gift certificate to a nice resturant, I can share it with my wife. Second would be a gift certificate to Home Depot.
The gift certificate idea show that you made some effort on your part, not just reached a little deeper in your pocket. I have also gotten tickets to sports, but that kind of locks him into a date and time which may not work.

Richard

Steve Ash
06-22-2005, 9:25 PM
What a nice idea that you have to show your appreciation. I got tickets to Lambeau field (48 yard line, home side, 8 rows up) from a guy I built a house for some years ago....it was the nicest thing any customer has ever done. Whatever you decide to do, your contractor will remember you for years to come.

chris toomey
06-22-2005, 9:57 PM
how about letting he and his family use the place for a week or two ? assuming he ever can take a vacation.......:)

Tim Brewers
06-22-2005, 10:12 PM
run an ad in the paper stating how well he did. We have had that happen to us a few times and it is always appreciated.

Brew

Dale Thompson
06-22-2005, 11:11 PM
[QUOTE=RichMagnone]In 2003, my wife and I purchased a "cottage" (read dump... in fact, in the words of one of the neighbors up there "the place was a dump 20 years ago") in Northern Wisconsin.

Rich,
To begin with, there are no "dumps" in Northern Wisconsin! :rolleyes: Only the very wealthy live in a place as large as your first picture. :o It's not a big problem, though. My cardboard shanty dries out after a couple of sunny days. :) In addition, the mosquitoes can usually be brought down by a small, lasar-guided nuclear warhead. ;)

Rich, I vote for the cash option. If your contractor has a favorite local supper club, a gift certificate would also be very welcome. :) WELCOME TO THE NORTHWOODS OF WISCONSIN!! :) :)

Dale T.

Mike Stanton
06-23-2005, 12:46 AM
:D He did a beautiful job and it looks great. Cash would be nice or a gift certificate to a great resturant also is nice or hd or lows. Mike

Bruce Overholt
06-23-2005, 6:46 AM
Even though he is a contractor, and a tool would be the most likely gift, think about getting him a Nice Wrist Watch. For a Man, this is a great gift that can be given on any occasion and is usually well apprieciated.

Bruce

Jim Andrew
06-24-2005, 12:52 AM
You guys are way off. What this guy needs is a week in Jamaica in February!

Peter Mc Mahon
06-24-2005, 4:16 AM
A bottle of single malt Scotch. I will take one as well please. Peter