PDA

View Full Version : Buying golf clubs

Mark Bolton
03-28-2014, 2:41 PM
I want to buy a used set of golf clubs. Im just a hack, dont really know anything about golf clubs. Do I need to look for things with regards to my height? I just want to go out and bang around, never going to be a pro golfer or anything. Ebay? Local?

Im in the dark on this one. Any input is appreciated.

David Weaver
03-28-2014, 2:47 PM
Ebay or local. There are four things you have to consider, though probably only two of them matter that much when you're a beginner:
* head type and profile - goes all the way from a hard cast cavity back iron that's really large to irons that are soft mild steel and that look like tiny butterknives
* the length of the iron, esp. if you're particularly short or tall or have something odd about the distance from your wrist to the ground
* how the clubs are bent if you get something that's not cast (if they are bent for someone who holds the club a lot different than you, you might have a whole lot working against you when you use the clubs because the heel or toe will strike first causing the club to turn
* the shaft flex

The middle two probably will affect you more than anything else. If you get a set of "blades" from the 70s because you find them cheap, you'll probably find solid feeling hits don't seem to occur very often. They are hard to hit, but they have their attributes for a reason that you can use in your favor when you get better. Most people are probably not good enough to hit muscleback blades, though - ever.

You're going to do your best as a beginner getting something about 10 years old that doesn't have a cult like following online (sound familiar to tools?).

Mark Bolton
03-28-2014, 2:57 PM
Ebay or local. There are four things you have to consider, though probably only two of them matter that much when you're a beginner:
* head type and profile - goes all the way from a hard cast cavity back iron that's really large to irons that are soft mild steel and that look like tiny butterknives
* the length of the iron, esp. if you're particularly short or tall or have something odd about the distance from your wrist to the ground
* how the clubs are bent if you get something that's not cast (if they are bent for someone who holds the club a lot different than you, you might have a whole lot working against you when you use the clubs because the heel or toe will strike first causing the club to turn
* the shaft flex

The middle two probably will affect you more than anything else. If you get a set of "blades" from the 70s because you find them cheap, you'll probably find solid feeling hits don't seem to occur very often. They are hard to hit, but they have their attributes for a reason that you can use in your favor when you get better. Most people are probably not good enough to hit muscleback blades, though - ever.

You're going to do your best as a beginner getting something about 10 years old that doesn't have a cult like following online (sound familiar to tools?).

Thanks David,
With regards to the length, Im just a touch over 6'1" when I have smashed a bunch into the woods and annoyed the others on the course I seem to feel like the clubs are a little short. I know buying used Im going to be a bit stuck but??? Im sure I could pick up some yard sale clubs cheap for sure.. Perhaps thats the route to go.

Pat Barry
03-28-2014, 3:34 PM
I would tell you to buy a cast club, cavity back (irons) with the larger face size because the sweet spot on the club face is much larger and more forgiving. Avoid buying forged clubs because they are now designed for better players, have a very small sweet spot, and are unforgiving of off center ball strikes.
I would go for a name brand (Ping, Taylor Made, etc). There should be tons of them available because people are always upgrading to newer technology.
Avoid off brands because they are not worth it (unless you are comparing new off brand with used name brand)
Club length is normally not an issue.

Dave Lehnert
03-28-2014, 9:25 PM
I purchased a set a few years ago from Wal-Mart. Knight brand. Sure someone who is serious about golf would fall on the floor laughing but it has served me well. Good enough for me just so I can go out and hit some balls at the driving range or play a round with guys from work.
Just remember they come left or right handed.

Keith Westfall
03-28-2014, 11:36 PM
Go to your local golf store and tell them your just looking. You will be able to try different kinds, ask about lengths and all sorts of things. If you don't buy there it will give you lots of info to consider when you do.

Dan Bundy
03-29-2014, 7:42 AM
If you are near a Golf Galaxy or Golfsmith, they take clubs in on trade and may sell those back again as used. In addition to doing some woodworking, I've built a few sets of clubs and it's not that hard. If the clubs feel a little short, it's pretty easy to lengthen them and put new grips on. Hireko and Golfworks sell club building components, tools, etc., and have a few videos on doing some of the basic stuff. Good luck. And remember, it's called golf because all the other four-letter words were taken. DB

Mark Bolton
03-29-2014, 8:41 AM
Thanks guys. Much appreciated. There isnt a golf store around here for miles other than something like a Dick's Sporting Goods or something like that but Im going to do a little searching. Will start looking.

Dan, I often question why I want to get back into it as Im thinking something a bit peaceful as a break from my hectic work (haha!!). Im thinking perhaps my approach knowing Im just going out beating around will keep me cool but somehow I dont think that will be the case!

Thanks again.

Pat Barry
03-29-2014, 8:43 AM
This looks like a pretty good deal. Tommy Armour are very fine clubs.
http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/spo/4368731050.html

Stan Calow
03-29-2014, 9:27 AM
There must be a shop at the golf course you intend to play at. Often they will have used sets from trade-ins, or at least they may have good recommendations on where to look. At your height you probably need the longer ones. But used is the way to go. Just about every other garage sale I see has a set of used clubs for sale. Heck I once found a complete set of new clubs in the dumpster at the apartments I was living in. I guessed it was a from domestic dispute.

Don Huffer
03-29-2014, 9:54 AM
Mark
I find what I like and then buy them on EBay. There are a lot of golfers that blame their clubs and sell them. Or like moths to a flame buy the newest because they must be better.

Truths about clubs.

All drivers weigh the same + - one gram. You can't feel one gram. A dollar bill weighs 2 grams.
All irons are very close in weight from one set to the other.
Irons are made two ways. Stay away from the sets without the recess in the back.
Most clubs are also the same length.
If your tall your arms are longer. If your short your arms are shorter. So in most cases most clubs fit.
Buy a set you like the looks of. So you will hit with confidence.
Pick a 3 wood and driver shaft that suits your swing speed.

Get a driver with more loft than normal. It's becoming the norm. Leave it in the bag and use it on the driving range.

Drive with a 3 wood. Your scores will be lower.

Put a rescue club or hybrid in your bag and use in for any shot that requires a 3 or 4 iron.

Buy used clubs and save a bundle.

Mark Bolton
03-29-2014, 9:55 AM
This looks like a pretty good deal. Tommy Armour are very fine clubs.
http://charlestonwv.craigslist.org/spo/4368731050.html

Thanks Pat, email sent

Phil Thien
03-29-2014, 10:20 AM
Around here we have used sporting goods shops called things like "Play it Again Sports" and the like, and they often have sets of golf clubs. I've also seen sets at Goodwill stores.

Dan Bundy
03-30-2014, 8:06 AM
Dick's is somehow affiliated with Golf Galaxy so they may have a trade-in program as well.

Best advice I ever read for playing golf is to just play like you don't give a [crap]. My game improved a lot. Now I play what I sometimes refer to as "Oh look! A golf ball. I think I'll hit it." Just enjoy the beautiful surroundings and the different flora and fauna you might encounter on the course. then when you get to your ball, make your best effort to hit it then go find it but enjoy the walk/ride until you get there. I still get frustrated at times, but I don't let it get to me for as long as I used to.

DB

Tom M King
03-30-2014, 8:19 AM
You will most likely play a degree or two upright over standard lie. Check around close to you, and see if there is anyone that can fit you for clubs. If you have a good driving range anywhere near you, ask there. If you get fitted to start with, it will save a lot of frustration trying to learn with something that's not right. You can have clubs bent to the proper lie for you, but if you need longer clubs, it will be cheaper to buy some the right length to start with rather than pay someone to modify others. You may need clubs an inch longer than standard, but maybe not.

Join Golfwrx forums, and ask questions there. You can buy anything from old beater clubs, to stuff used on Tour last week in their classified forums.

I work on clubs, up through blueprinting, and could fit clubs, but I'm a too far from you to be much help.

USGA +2 currently. Woodworking is one of the things I do for a living, but not as a hobby. In spare time, golf is one of them.

Dave Verstraete
03-30-2014, 8:39 AM
Mark

Truths about clubs.

All drivers weigh the same + - one gram. You can't feel one gram. A dollar bill weighs 2 grams.
All irons are very close in weight from one set to the other.
Irons are made two ways. Stay away from the sets without the recess in the back.
Most clubs are also the same length.
If your tall your arms are longer. If your short your arms are shorter. So in most cases most clubs fit.
Buy a set you like the looks of. So you will hit with confidence.
Pick a 3 wood and driver shaft that suits your swing speed.

Get a driver with more loft than normal. It's becoming the norm. Leave it in the bag and use it on the driving range.

Drive with a 3 wood. Your scores will be lower.

Put a rescue club or hybrid in your bag and use in for any shot that requires a 3 or 4 iron.

Buy used clubs and save a bundle.

Great advice. As an occasional golfer, you should hit the club that you are most comfortable with. If you are grabbing a 4 iron for the first time that year, put it back in the bag.

Leave the driver in the bag. It is one of the most difficult clubs for a beginner to hit. I play a a fair bit of golf and there are days it is not kind to me. I just grab my 3 wood on the tee.

Find a club that feels comfortable to hit. Mine is a 5 iron. Make sure that you hit with this club as much as possible.

Half of your shots are on the green or next to it. Don't forget to practice this part of the game.

Play on a course that is a little forgiving. It's no fun to be in the woods, traps and water all day.

Above all...HAVE FUN. You're out there with your buddies

Oh yeah...A pro shop can lengthen a club a little by putting an extension in and re-gripping it. Not so cheap if you are doing all of your clubs. I'm 6'0" and right on the edge of needing longer clubs.