PDA

View Full Version : Bessey Vario Revo Clamps vs fixed Jaw

Brian Tymchak
03-28-2014, 1:19 PM
Hey all,

I think I'm going to build out my clamp collection a bit over the next few months. I have a bunch of 31" Bessey Revos, which I like a lot. I'm thinking of getting a half dozen or so 60" Revos. Looking at the Woodcraft website, I see something called the "Vario" which is the Revo with floating top jaw, instead of the traditional fixed jaw. They're a bit more expensive, but I'm wondering what the real value is of having that jaw able to move? The Bessey website indicates they have the same clamping pressure, but offers no more detail, video, etc.

Anyone out there worked with these and can offer pro and con info, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks, Brian

Stew Hagerty
03-28-2014, 1:26 PM
Hey all,

I think I'm going to build out my clamp collection a bit over the next few months. I have a bunch of 31" Bessey Revos, which I like a lot. I'm thinking of getting a half dozen or so 60" Revos. Looking at the Woodcraft website, I see something called the "Vario" which is the Revo with floating top jaw, instead of the traditional fixed jaw. They're a bit more expensive, but I'm wondering what the real value is of having that jaw able to move? The Bessey website indicates they have the same clamping pressure, but offers no more detail, video, etc.

Anyone out there worked with these and can offer pro and con info, I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks, Brian

I have never used one of their Varios, but I do have quite a few REVO's. Like you, I really like them. They clamp firm and straight.

Although it is the 24's, 40's, and 50's, you might be interested in this...

I just posted it yesterday after picking up a few more myself:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?215852-FYI-About-Bessey-K-Body-REVO-s-On-Sale

Brian Tymchak
03-28-2014, 4:55 PM
I just posted it yesterday after picking up a few more myself:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?215852-FYI-About-Bessey-K-Body-REVO-s-On-Sale

Yep, saw that Stew. thanks! I have 31"s at the moment. I think the combination of 31s and 60s will cover just about every longer clamping need I have.

Stew Hagerty
03-28-2014, 5:38 PM
Yep, saw that Stew. thanks! I have 31"s at the moment. I think the combination of 31s and 60s will cover just about every longer clamping need I have.

I have 4 of the 31's myself. They're a great in-between size. I had 4 of each: 24, 31, 40, 50. I also have 6-60's. What I bought was 4 more of the 24's. With what I make, I seem to always wish I had a couple more of that size. I almost got a couple more 40's too. If they'd had the 31's I'd have stocked up.

Shyang Huang
03-28-2014, 9:05 PM
You can see a demonstration of the Vario at the 4:06 mark of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tTXUNwzdw8

The idea is to keep the center of gravity at the center. The bar itself can be great when combined with an extender, instantly turning your 31" into, say, a 71" if you purchase the 40" Vario.

BTW, the push-button-activated movable jar is separately available:
http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-KR-VO-Replacement-Variable-Clamp/dp/B002YIHM48/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396054633&sr=8-4&keywords=bessey+revo+vario

Brian Tymchak
03-30-2014, 9:19 AM
Shyang, Thanks for the link to the video. I can see on occasion centering the bar would help in a glue up.

I also didn't know Bessey offered the "tilting" clamp accessory. those could be handy.

Stew Hagerty
03-30-2014, 11:59 AM
Shyang, Thanks for the link to the video. I can see on occasion centering the bar would help in a glue up.

I also didn't know Bessey offered the "tilting" clamp accessory. those could be handy.

I have 4 of the tilting accessories and, although I don't use the all the time, they do come in handy.
Another accessory is a sort of C-Clamp with a Pin (TK-6) that hooks into the plastic tip at the far end in order to hold it down onto the bench. Ever do a clamp-up and your pr shifts sideways and the clamps all tip over? Those little attachments keep that from happening. They also hook through the sliding bar protectors so you can attach a whole K-Body down onto a jig, table, or sawhorse.

Shyang Huang
03-30-2014, 1:37 PM
You're welcome, Brian. Your avatar is instantly recognizable. It must be from reading and following someone's posts in this forum!

Another accessory is a sort of C-Clamp with a Pin (TK-6) that hooks into the plastic tip at the far end in order to hold it down onto the bench. Ever do a clamp-up and your pr shifts sideways and the clamps all tip over? Those little attachments keep that from happening. They also hook through the sliding bar protectors so you can attach a whole K-Body down onto a jig, table, or sawhorse.

The British woodworker Peter Parfitt demo-ed that idea at the 7:31 mark of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsO2H-FiMl8

In case you're jumping on the deal on the Revo at the big blue, TK-6 is also available in their catalog.

Just one more reason to like the Revo.