PDA

View Full Version : Exterior Interchangeable Directory Signs

Liesl Dexheimer
03-28-2014, 10:49 AM
I have a customer who I do a lot of interior signs for but they are now looking for an outdoor interchangeable directory type of sign (something where they can change hours if need be). I'm trying to figure out if I should take on the job or turn it away as this isn't something I normally do and may be too challenging. I have a sign company that I do some work for so I was thinking of recommending them instead. The customer wants me to come by so they can show me where it would be going. I've been to the place of business before so I'm guessing it's either going to be attached to the brick building or possibly glass. They had thought of some plexiglass to go over the signage so it won't be tampered with since it is in a city setting. I was thinking of JRS's Flex Frames or Euro Frames but they are meant for interior. They only have one product for exterior and it doesn't look very easy to switch out signage. Does anyone know of any other product that might work or have any other ideas?

Doug Novic
03-29-2014, 12:44 PM
I would purchase an exterior sign box. For an example there is "displays2go"dot com or "slimelinewarehouse" dot com. These frames are made for outside use and they lock to keep tampering to a minimum. Manufacture your signage using UV resistant material (Rowmark, IPI etc.), charge accordingly and smile!

Joe Pelonio
03-29-2014, 5:48 PM
I have done a bunch of these, and the problem is that you will have to order from a catalog or online picture without being able to show it to them. Typically I have used a rack system with snap-on aluminum strips, and apply vinyl lettering to them. I have made a few using magnetic strips with vinyl lettering on a sheet metal background (covered with vinyl rather than paint) and it holds up fine outdoors as long as it's under an overhang.
In that situation you could always use engraved Rowmark exterior material, with velcro to attach to a background piece of material with perhaps an address or logo on the top. Even if you use double sided foam tape you can remove them to change names, just pry them off and scrape any excess tape left on the background.

Liesl Dexheimer
03-31-2014, 8:27 AM
Good resources Doug. My customer had been looking for the type of signs that you see in office buildings where you can switch the letters around on a bulletin board type of system. I had been looking at the cork boards which might be an option. Has anyone seen those bulletin boards that have the switchable letters?