PDA

View Full Version : Amazing craftsmanship in another medium.

Larry Edgerton
03-28-2014, 7:32 AM
This guys work is amazing but his creativity is even more so. Jay Leno is his # 1 customer. Check out some of his other creations on U tube. The Decoliner has to be the coolest moving art form ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-bkq0CSzjQ

Larry

Mark Bolton
03-28-2014, 7:56 AM
Very impressive. That kind of work has always fascinated me I just dont ever seem to have the time.. envious.

Andrew Joiner
03-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Thanks Larry. What a trip you could take with that.
His other polished aluminum vehicles Pistol Pete and the Tank Car are incredible beauties as well.

Larry Edgerton
03-29-2014, 7:15 AM
I saw the Decoliner close up, at a gas station no less. I was filling up my old Volvo when this thing pulled in across the pumps. I was awestruck. It is even more amazing close up. Everything fits perfect and the design is beautiful. I wanted to ask for a little tour but did not want to be a pain. I waited and followed it, the stairs in the back are very cool. It turned into the Bay Harbor auto and boat show, a concours show.

I did not know until yesterday morning that it could be driven from the top, that is very cool.

The thing I admire most about this kind of work is the courage it takes to decide that this is what you are going to do for a living. Many of us, and I am among this group, are not doing what we really want but don't have the courage to chuck it all and go for it. Yesterday I was grinding concrete that had a hump in it and this thought crossed my mind.

Larry

Andrew Joiner
03-29-2014, 11:37 AM
The thing I admire most about this kind of work is the courage it takes to decide that this is what you are going to do for a living. Many of us, and I am among this group, are not doing what we really want but don't have the courage to chuck it all and go for it. Yesterday I was grinding concrete that had a hump in it and this thought crossed my mind.

Larry

I'm like you Larry.I thought exactly the same thing.

When I was a cabinetmaker I'd often work for wealthy white collar people. Once in a while one would say "man,
I'd give anything to work with my hands like you. I hate sitting at a desk." At first I was proud, but as the years went by I'd think I'd love to sit at a desk and make money. I'd never let my admiring client know my thoughts, I just smiled. The last years of my working life I got to sit at a desk and make money. I guess the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. My ultimate dream was to only build really cool stuff just for me with no budget restraints. I've been doing that for a couple years now and I'm bored!

Sounds like Randy Grubb has gotten together with other like minded craftspeople to build things in his organization. A great way to avoid liability insurance,workers comp, and employee headaches.

How many custom car and motorcycle shows are on cable TV? They all build creative unique stuff. I'd love to do a furniture/millwork show in that spirit. We'd have our favorite creekers all building cool stuff for rich clients. Could be a great adventure.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-29-2014, 12:29 PM
Watching someone creative is fun, there is a similarity in their enthusiasm, regardless of the project.

One of my kids favorite movies is "Despicable Me", Gru's car is this, albeit a little more menacing version. Wonder which came first.