PDA

View Full Version : New Popular Woodworking Came....

Corey Hallagan
06-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Great article on Norm Abrahms that is the "Cover Story" this month. Interesting. I had read how he came to be hired for the show and all, but I didn't know the story on the shop and who actually owns it. Who'd of thunk!

Corey

Bill Lewis
06-22-2005, 6:04 AM
Didn't see the article yet, but I did know that the NYW is in the backyard of Russ Morash, the producer of the show. Oh, and his backyard was also the location for the now defunct "Victory Garden". I'll bet it's all overgrown now that he doesn't have a full time TV gardener. BTW, His wife also did the cooking segments for VG.

John Hemenway
06-22-2005, 9:02 AM
Not to hijack a thread but...

Victory garden defunct? I think it's still on the air. Perhaps they should change the name to 'The Yuppie Garden' tho. It's gone far from the original concept.:(

Hank Knight
06-22-2005, 9:39 AM
I thought this was a very good issue of Popular Woodworking. The Charlesworth article was particularly interesting. I thought Chris Schwartz would get blasted by the hand tool guys for featuring Norm, but I liked the article. In my opinion Populaw Woodworking and Fine Woodworking are head and shoulders above the rest of the woodworking magazine pack.

Dave Anderson NH
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm awaiting the arrival of my copy. Things are sometimes a little slow to get to the woods of NH:D I'm have been very favorably impressed with the quality publication that Pop Woodworking is putting out these days. In many cases it rivals FWW or even exceeds it. On the other hand, I'm will admit that I'm very prejudiced since I'm primarily a hand tool woodworker. Steve and Chris are to be commended. As for Norm, whatever your attitude about NYW and him personally, he is an important figure in our world and has contributed much to all of us. Anyone care to guess how many tool choices we'd have without his popularization of our hobby/

John Lucas
06-22-2005, 1:48 PM
... As for Norm, whatever your attitude about NYW and him personally, he is an important figure in our world and has contributed much to all of us. Anyone care to guess how many tool choices we'd have without his popularization of our hobby/
I have always held him in high regard, but watching him on the shop cam really has impressed me. He works non-stop without help of any kind. To read in this article that he also does all the work on the prototype is amazing, considering his schedule for TOH also.
It seems that Russell Morash and he have an excellent relationship and that is to all our favor. In 1993 I talked with Norm and he was wondering if they would last another season...for fear of running out of projects. I guess they didn't...and we are all the better for it.

Corey Hallagan
06-22-2005, 9:14 PM
Norm did say he would like to have full control of where his life is going by age 60, he is 56, so I guess that means a few more years and it will be 20 years of reruns!

Corey