PDA

View Full Version : Drill press blues

Al Sherred
03-27-2014, 11:16 PM
Today I was drilling as usual, with a clark BT 1029 and half way through the cut the bit stopped. I shut it down and checked to make sure the bit was tight, turned it back on, it seemed to work as normal until the bit contacted the workpiece once again the bit stops ,an I smelled that the belts were slipping. I don't have a manual. If anyone has any ideas what could be wrong I would welcome the help, thanks in advance.

Patrick Curry
03-28-2014, 1:19 AM
Today I was drilling as usual, with a clark BT 1029 and half way through the cut the bit stopped. I shut it down and checked to make sure the bit was tight, turned it back on, it seemed to work as normal until the bit contacted the workpiece once again the bit stops ,an I smelled that the belts were slipping. I don't have a manual. If anyone has any ideas what could be wrong I would welcome the help, thanks in advance.

I had a similar problem with my drill press. Over time and some heavy work some large forstner bits, the pulleys came loose. Mine were secured with some small bolts (actually took an Alan wrench if recall) along the side. But I would guess that's the issue. Shouldn't be too hard to find whatever it is that keeps the pulleys taught.

Jerry Miner
03-28-2014, 1:20 AM
#1: belt tension (you should be able to loosen a wing-nut, tighten the belt, re-tighten the nut)

#2: worn belt

#3: slipping pulley (lost woodruff key?)

Bill Huber
03-28-2014, 10:40 AM

It looks like you can get a manual on the net, just do a Google search on Clark BT1029 manual and I think you can find one.

I am sure it is just the belt needs to be tightened.

Al Sherred
03-28-2014, 12:00 PM
It looks like you can get a manual on the net, just do a Google search on Clark BT1029 manual and I think you can find one.

I am sure it is just the belt needs to be tightened.

Thanks Bill, I will check for one. The problem has been found, Patrick got it correct the nut on the top of the spindle pulley came loose. Thanks for all the possibilities