PDA

View Full Version : New Pen

Adam Howard
06-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Made one of these...

Brazilian Cherry and Ebony Baron Rollerball.

http://home.comcast.net/~oxhoward/P1010152.JPG

Roger McIntyre
06-21-2005, 11:56 PM
Adam,

This pen looks great. Where did you get the mechanisms from? I am in Australia and would like to get som.

Roger

Gary Max
06-22-2005, 1:56 AM
Great job on the Baron----your pic came out real sharp.
Thanks for sharing.

Steve Stube
06-22-2005, 3:01 AM
Stunning! Wow! That's Great!

John Hart
06-22-2005, 6:40 AM
Now, that's the kind of elegance that I want to achieve Adam. Beautiful piece! How did you build your blanks? I have the wood...just need some guidance.

Thanks

Adam Howard
06-22-2005, 7:45 AM
John, it's easy, really..

First take a board... half the thickness of a good pen blank, plus a little. I use 5/8" to be on the safe side. The board should be double that in width, plus a little for a bandsaw kerf plus smoothing, say 1 3/8". Make it extra long, like 10".

Take that board and cut it in half (crosscut). Place your veneer of choice inbetween the two pieces, and glue'er up. Let it cure, then make it all smooth and happy.

Cut it in half lengthwise on the bandsaw, perpendicular to the veneer. Joint/plane it smooth. Put another piece of veneer in the middle and glue'er up again.

Again, cure, make smooth and happy. Now the veneer should be a cross through the length of the stick. At this point make sure it's S4S.

Here's where a tablesaw jig is handy, or a good crosscut sled. Cut the stick crosswise in slices, however thick you want them.

Make yourself some veneer squares That'll fit inbetween the slices.

You're going to glue the slices together with a piece of veneer in between, but the slices should be rotated 45 degrees from one another (roughly). Just do it by eye. Glue them up by two's first, then four's, then eight's. You get the idea. When you have a spiny looking stick, put it on the lathe using spur drive/live center, and make it round. Then you have a round pen brick wall blank to do with what you want.

Adam Howard
06-22-2005, 7:47 AM
Roger,

I buy my Baron's from arizonasilhouette.com. They buy them from Berea Hardwoods. You can also get them from Woodcraft, but it's called the "Navigator".

John Hart
06-22-2005, 7:54 AM
Good explanation Adam. I'll give it a try tonight. Any recommendations on glue type? I have standard yellow, CA, Epoxy, and poly.

Adam Howard
06-22-2005, 8:15 AM
John,

I just used normal yellow glue.

Dawn Sunkle
06-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Adam, that is a beautiful pen. I've been interested in segmented items for a while and with your great directions I think I can handle it and will be giving it a try soon :)

Thanks for sharing!!
Dawn

Fred Ray
06-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Very nice work, Adam. I really like the Baron's, Navigators, and Jr. Gents. You did a great job on the segmenting. For curiosity, is it a fountain pen or roller ball?

Adam Howard
06-22-2005, 12:45 PM
It's a rollerball.

Randy Meijer
06-22-2005, 10:56 PM
Adam: Nice pen. I really like the effect!! Do you have any pictures of the glue-up process?? I'm not fully visualizing how the blank is created?? Thanks!!

Adam Howard
06-23-2005, 8:10 AM
I'm working on another set of blanks and will take pictures. Check back in a few days.

Aaron Koehl
06-23-2005, 8:20 AM
A picture would be worth a thousand words.. and maybe an article.. ;)

Randy Meijer
06-23-2005, 2:36 PM
Thanks very much!!

Ernie Nyvall
06-23-2005, 6:34 PM
Wow, that is a beautiful pen Adam, and I second the motion on an article.

Ernie

Jim Ketron
06-23-2005, 8:53 PM
Nice Job Adam! Thats one nice looking Pen Neighbor. Grey Tn is not that far from me pass by there every day as I go to work.
Jim