PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone identify this plane iron?

Judson Green
03-27-2014, 3:56 PM
This came from a frankenplane I bought last summer. Can't make out the maker's mark. The first letter appears to be a "R" the second to last "O". Its a size for a #4 or #5. Also there's a "R" stamped on the back about midway up the length. And its thin, like even just a touch thinner than Stanley irons.

Thanks

Tim Atkins
03-27-2014, 4:15 PM
Is it a Revonoc Plane Iron ? Just throwing that out there ? I can't really see it too well. They have lot on the web about Revonoc planes. HSB / Conover hardware stores brand name. Is the iron tapered?

Tim

Judson Green
03-27-2014, 4:19 PM
No taper. Thanks for the info.

David Weaver
03-27-2014, 4:30 PM
It appears to be revonoc.

Joe Bailey
03-27-2014, 4:30 PM
Good call, Tim

285773I

Judson Green
03-27-2014, 4:51 PM
Yup! It appears so. And now that I've a name to do a little searching with, I think I have a no 4 from them but unfortunately the previous owner decided to take off the wood handles and brass adjusting knob for another plane and replace them with sh!++y plastic ones.

Are they any good? The frog mating surface looks like it might not mate that well.

Tim Atkins
03-27-2014, 5:12 PM
I think Revonocs were mainly old Stanley Patents, and some say made by Stanley. Most I have seen where decent planes. I think along the lines of Lakesides and the others. You probably just have the blade and the plane is something else all together. If the frog has a center rib, it is probably not a Revonoc. The ones I have seen were older than the center ribbed frogs.

Tim

Judson Green
03-27-2014, 6:10 PM
This is what my frog bed looks like. No center rib. Kind of a gap between the very front leading edge of the frog and main casting. That's why I thought it might not preform well, took it for a little test drive in soft maple and it seems OK.

Not sure I'm being fair to the plastic handles as right now I have a little cut on my pinky finger where it rubs along the seem of the tote.

Tim Atkins
03-28-2014, 8:59 AM
Yeah, That looks like a Revonoc. Put aside and wait for different handles, or use as it is.

Tim

Jim Matthews
03-28-2014, 4:49 PM
That is the most excellent avatar in The Creek, including Dave's current homage.

I do believe that is the way my wife sees me, Saturday nights.
(Only without the hair, and some of the teeth...)

Judson Green
03-28-2014, 7:17 PM
Thanks! It wasn't easy holding still for the camera.