PDA

View Full Version : Laser Cutting Transfer Fillms

James Cogbill
03-27-2014, 11:58 AM
I'm looking to Laser Cut through 2 transfer films, 3M 9471LE and 3M 9482PC. I'm sure the laser will go through it no problem, but is it safe? Thanks!

David Somers
03-27-2014, 12:07 PM
Good morning James!

If you do a search in Google for msds 3m 9471le you will find links to the MSDS for the product. (Material Safety Data Sheet) If you haven't already discovered the MSDS sheets that is really your first place to look for safety information on any product.

Here is the link to the one on 9471le
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?66666UtN&ZUxL99XLxMclxfEMVu9KcuZgVU_LXT1u666666--

And a second link for the MSDS on 9482PC.
http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawebserver?mwsId=SSSSSuUn_zu8l00xM8mB4Ytvmv70k 17zHvu9lxtD7SSSSSS--

Hope that helps

Dave

Richard Rumancik
03-27-2014, 1:36 PM
James, I don't think there are any issues, assuming you have a normal exhaust system and enclosed laser chamber.

The products of combustion of any organic material are typically toxic, but the volume of material being decomposed tends to be extremely small and the typical exhaust system will take care of it. These are acrylic-based adhesives and nothing out of the ordinary.

The MSDS for something like this will not be that helpful as it will state something like:

"7.1 HANDLING

This product is considered to be an article which does not release or otherwise result in exposure to a hazardous chemical under normal use conditions."

In other words, since it is not burned during normal use, there should be no risk to personal health. But laser cutting is not a normal use.

You can look at firefighting precautions, but typically that info is there to direct firefighters to proper procedures when a whole vat of adhesive, or a fabrication/converter facility is on fire. That information is usually not very helpful when it is being laser cut in a controlled manner.

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2014, 8:39 PM
It's acrylic adhesive on a paper release liner. I have cut through many a roll of the 3M adhesive films. I apply it to Rowmark, acrylic and other materials prior to cutting out signs and letters so they are ready to mount. No problems.