PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Are you prepared for Windows XP end of support?

Larry Browning
03-27-2014, 10:45 AM
As most of us know, Microsoft is ending support for XP next month, even though XP is still installed and running fine on millions of computers. This means that there will be no more security updates or any updates at all for that matter to the operating system.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help?ocid=xp_eos_client

I also ran across and article on what this means and how help protect yourself from the bad guys if you want or need to continue to use XP.

http://www.ghacks.net/2014/01/21/protect-windows-xp-system-april-2014/

Rick Christopherson
03-27-2014, 1:57 PM
Contrary to the media hype, most vulnerabilities do not attack the operating system, but the software running on it, such as Internet Explorer. Not getting security updates to XP is not nearly as critical as the hype makes it. Because the percentage of systems still running XP will also drop, hackers will target it less and less.

Kev Williams
03-27-2014, 2:46 PM
Sorry, I have to say it:

WHAT support?

Just for my own personal reference, I've had my upstairs office computer get every XP update ever gotten. The computer I'm on right now, which is my main graphics/machine running/email/internet surf machine, hasn't had an XP update since sometime in 2009. Both computers are essentially the same age, same processor speed, ram, etc, they both act identical, as they always have. And I run Microsoft Security Essentials on ALL my computers, and nothing else, and I've never had a virus- last virus I EVER got was in 1999... knock on my head! ;)

My email doesn't get hacked or spoofed. My neighbors don't get on my wi-fi. I don't get viruses-- just my opinion, but all the hype is just to sell new software...

Bruce Page
03-27-2014, 2:46 PM
I’m going to keep my XP machine for the CAD and Photoshop software I have on it but take it completely off-line as a stand alone. I’m trying to decide if I want Win7 or Win8 on the new machine. I like the Win7 OS that I have on the shop PC.
Is there any reason to move to the Win8 OS?

David G Baker
03-27-2014, 3:35 PM
Windows 7 is still okay but my experience with Windows 8 was very unpleasant for me. Maybe I am old school but the set-up on the computer I worked on was foreign to me. It wasn't the touch screen issue because I used touch screen computers to control satellites for uplinks and downlinks when I was working in TV. If I have to move over to Windows 8 or its next version I will learn to work with it. I liked Windows XP but made the transition to Vista with out any problems. I use Photoshop version 5.5 with out any issues on my Vista computers.

Jerry Thompson
03-27-2014, 3:53 PM
What?!!! There is something after Windows 3.1?

Dave Anderson NH
03-27-2014, 4:22 PM
Yes Jerry there is. Windows 3.11 For Workgroups

Fred Perreault
03-27-2014, 4:23 PM
I have 3 laptops and 2 desktops running Win XP sp3. I downloaded the sp1, sp2 and sp3 updates after they worked out the kinks. They were major improvements, but I have never used Windows Update for anything else, and my units run fine. I am using some favorite programs from 1992 on. The installed base of Win XP is enormous, but they shouldn't be be afraid of any more problems than we experienced at the turn to the new millenium, which was more hype than substance. I still have my DOS manuals, an 11" 4 bit 16 color monitor w/.5 meg Hercules graphics card, an old Eagle IBM compatible w/Intel 8088 processor with less than 500,000 instructions per second on a shelf somewhere. I do not go back to punchcards though.

Paul McGaha
03-27-2014, 5:55 PM
We have (1) computer at our house w Windows XP on it. Just use it for surfing, emails, word and excel documents, pictures.

The computer is a desktop and maybe 4 or 5 years old.

It's a Dell I bought from Costco. We haven't had the 1st problem with it.

Is it a big deal for Microsoft to stop supporting Windows XP?

Just keep on using it? When/If it starts messing up get another computer?

PHM

Brian Elfert
03-27-2014, 6:29 PM
Windows XP isn't going to just stop working because of the lack of updates unless your computer gets hacked through an un-patched vulnerability. Someone mentioned that programs such as Internet Explorer is what gets hacked. The thing is Internet Explorer is a Microsoft product too and it is unlikely they will keep patching IE on Windows XP. IE on Windows XP would be version 8 at newest which is three versions behind.

Moses Yoder
03-27-2014, 6:55 PM
I bought an HP laptop last spring with Windows 8 on it and love it. If you are getting a new system you might as well get 8 and learn it, otherwise you will only be further behind. I don't get very deep into computer maintenance but install all of my own programs and really have had no issues with it. One thing, if you have 8 on a lap top you will definitely want a cordless mouse or the charms popping out from hitting the edge of the touch pad will drive you crazy.

Pat Barry
03-27-2014, 6:58 PM
I heard this morning on the news that Microsoft will give you a rebate of $100 on the trade-in of an XP machine toward purchase of a new PC.

Phil Thien
03-27-2014, 8:12 PM
Windows XP isn't going to just stop working because of the lack of updates unless your computer gets hacked through an un-patched vulnerability. Someone mentioned that programs such as Internet Explorer is what gets hacked. The thing is Internet Explorer is a Microsoft product too and it is unlikely they will keep patching IE on Windows XP. IE on Windows XP would be version 8 at newest which is three versions behind.

Keep XP, get Firefox, and use Thuderbird for E-Mail. Pretty good setup.

Bruce Page
03-27-2014, 8:45 PM
I heard this morning on the news that Microsoft will give you a rebate of $100 on the trade-in of an XP machine toward purchase of a new PC.

I'll pass on that deal. I have about 8k of software on my 32bit XP machine that I can't afford to update to a new 64bit system.

Andrei Georgescu
03-28-2014, 2:29 AM
Don't worry. There are millions of Windows users who shut down their updates as soon as they install a pirate version of this software. They have no problem whatsoever, trust me.

Brian Ashton
03-28-2014, 3:30 AM
Twice I've had my systems infected by going to what should have been quite innocent websites. One was a knot tying site I had been on a month before. It was fine the first time but the second visit AVG had a window popup saying I've been infected and it couldn't fix or identify the problem. The computer also went into restart mode so what ever payload I had inadvertently downloaded could install and launch; so I interrupted it by pulling the power cord and did a re-image. Other infection was quite similar in that it was an innocent website and again the virus software said it could detect the infection but couldn't fix it or identify it. This time it didn't need to restart to launch the payload. That one changed a lot of setting throughout XP, I suspect through a single attack on the registry. And there was no way I was going to wade through it blindly trying to figure out what needed to be restored.

It's quite easy to combat any sort of threats even if XP is no longer supported and you get "hacked". Just get a program like Snap Shot put it on an external HDD and take an image of your HDD on a regular basis, you can set up a DOS command to do this quite easily. Create a boot disk with what ever boot disk creator you like... If you have any problems such as an infection, simply restart from the boot disk you created, plug in the external HDD, launch Snap Shot and command it to reinstall the latest image you've saved... 15 mins later and you're back up running like nothing had ever happened.

Chris Parks
03-28-2014, 4:31 AM
As Brian says and keep all docs on another drive so they are not impacted.

Curt Harms
03-28-2014, 8:00 AM
Windows 7 is still okay but my experience with Windows 8 was very unpleasant for me. Maybe I am old school but the set-up on the computer I worked on was foreign to me. It wasn't the touch screen issue because I used touch screen computers to control satellites for uplinks and downlinks when I was working in TV. If I have to move over to Windows 8 or its next version I will learn to work with it. I liked Windows XP but made the transition to Vista with out any problems. I use Photoshop version 5.5 with out any issues on my Vista computers.

You're not alone, David. There are a couple free/inexpensive add-ons that make Windows 8.x look & act like Windows 7 or (I think) XP. Here's the freebie: www.classicshell.net. Start8 is one cheapware addon, there may be others.

Prashun Patel
03-28-2014, 8:17 AM
The UI of Windows 8 isn't so bad once you get used to it.

The "end of XP support" will largely impact businesses like mine. Companies and departments that provide desktop support will by and large demand that desktops be upgraded to 7-8. We just completed such an upgrade, and it was not fun.

The bigger impact is the death of (yes I said it) DOS applications. You can run virtual machines and shells and picture-in-picture-what-what, but it's just not pretty or intuitive for the users who would be using those applications. The simplest thing like printing becomes such a nightmare.

For standalone use, I see no problem keeping your old XP machines alive (I have one at home too). But if you're planning to do any kind of networking or sharing, there will be hiccups.

Brian Elfert
03-28-2014, 9:36 AM
I absolutely cannot stand the GUI on Windows 8/Server 2012. I admin a number of Server 2012 machines and it just sucks trying to get work done compared to Server 2008 R2. Now, Windows 8.1/Server 2012 R2 is much better with the start button being back. A lot of what I need to get to I can right click on the start button to get to.

A lot of companies are stuck on Windows XP because they built in-house software that won't run on Windows 7/8, or they have web applications that only work with IE 6. In some cases it is cheaper for a large company to pay Microsoft a million dollars or more a year to keep patching XP than to pay to rewrite their applications. In other cases companies laid off everyone who wrote the applications during the recession.

My employer has some really good desktop folks who have managed to get software written for Windows 2000 to run on Windows 7. We originally thought we might be stuck on XP due to that software. Luckily, that software is getting replaced.

Bill Huber
03-28-2014, 11:01 AM
One thing that people forget is the fact that a virus program like Norton, Microsoft, AVG, Avast or any of them can only detect what they know.

If Microsoft or any other software company finds a hole in a program and plugs that hole there could have been someone that wrote a virus that could have used that hole that the virus programs don't even know about.

Your computer could have a virus right now that the antivirus companies don't even know about.

paul cottingham
03-28-2014, 12:34 PM
:D:D
Most excellent advice. Oh and use good antivirus.

Or run XP in a virtual machine running in Linux. (Couldn't help myself.):D

Actually, the best way to run XP now would be to store all data on a network drive or some form of off computer storage. That way if you get a bad infection, you can nuke and reinstall. There are utilities that allow you to make a script that reinstalls your OS and installs any software you use. Several of them are free, and available from MS. I prefer this method to imaging, as I have seen images get infected too many times. Even reinstalling from scratch is pretty quick once you have done it a few times. I used to make my students do it every day so that it became second nature to them. They complained, but many still thank me for it when I run into them.
YMMV of course.

Tom Stenzel
03-28-2014, 1:05 PM
When I picked up my “museum grade” XP box out of the trash it didn’t come with any recovery disks. One of the first things I did was download a copy of Ubuntu (10.10), it worked OK.

With XP doom hovering over my head, I had another try with Unbuntu. The newer versions, both the latest and greatest and the long term support, have improved the video support to the point it won’t work on my addled box. Lubuntu has followed the same thorny road. Mint does work well and supports our wireless HP printer so Linux is still a go.

Since I’ve been forcibly retired I don’t need to be “compatible” with anyone, and if I want to play games that’s what the Wii is for. I really haven’t needed Windows for several years. That’s why I really haven’t tried to image the existing hard drive. I guess I could try it, I have the utilities and a USB hard drive.

Both my daughters have Toshiba laptops with Win 8.0 on them. You can see who gets all the goodies in the family. I can deal with them (the laptops that is. My daughters, um, not so much) but sure can understand the unhappiness. The Jekyll/Hyde screens (tiles screen/work screen) make no sense on a desktop or for most uses of a laptop. The one thing I did was put a Control Panel tile on the screen as it’s the only utility I use.

My daughters have no expectation that a computer is supposed to be useful FOR THEM and don’t seem to care about the interface!

Jerome Stanek
03-28-2014, 3:56 PM
I have been using Pale Moon it's a stripped down firefox and uses memory better.

Kev Williams
03-28-2014, 4:50 PM
My issue with newer OS's is the fact I'm running ancient graphics software and engraving machines. Out of all the stuff in my signature below, only 3 connect via USB cable, and the Concept still requires a proprietary computer running a DOS based program. (which is the upgrade from the Apple IIe program!). My favorite graphics software requires I keep a computer with Win98se on it, because it won't run on anything higher than 8-bit. My engraving machines and lasers require drivers that won't work on Win 7 or 8.

This is the thing that p****S me off about forcing new software down our throats, is that Bill has NO idea that it isn't just offices and students who rely on their software! I'm all for new and improved, but can't they make a Windows8 that will allow me to install a generic text driver, and WORK?

And oh yeah-- I mentioned in my first post that I've been using, and having great luck with Microsoft Security Essentials for keeping viruses out-- Well, seems that Security Essentials will no longer be available either. This "buy our new product or else" mentality borders on being illegal, if not already....

:mad:

Jim O'Dell
03-29-2014, 8:32 PM

I agree!

I've used Firefox and Thunderbird for years. Actually, I now use Waterfox which is the 64bit version of FF. Heard about the Pale Moon version here a few weeks back, but haven't had time to play with it with the new job.

I just retired my wife's XP machine. Still hearing about the "problems" with the programs that need to be replaced to work on 7. Actually only 2, Word and Quick Books. I have both working in a XP virtual environment in Win 7, and she is dealing with it. Just don't need to spend 300 bucks on software right now if I can find a free way to make it work. ;) I will probably resurrect the XP machine to use in the shop as a music source. Easy enough to transfer via USB drives and keep it off the net. If need be, I can get it on the net with a wireless antenna to the main system, but doubt that would be necessary.
So I now have all 3 main computers on Win 7 Pro 64 (2 desk tops, 1 laptop). There is a Win 2k system in LOML's music studio annex, but it hasn't been turned on in probably 2 years. It has some music game programs that wouldn't run on XP!!!
And I'm on Win 8 at work......I hate it! Took me 2 weeks to figure out how to get into the
device manager screen so I could fix the audio that didn't work!! Win 7 was not big deal changing from Win 2K for me. Just seemed to be a natural progression. Jim.

Brian Elfert
03-30-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm surprised you would have issues getting Word working on Windows 7 unless it is Word 97 or something like that. I currently have Office 2000 installed on Windows Server 2012 R2 and it works fine. (This is essentially Windows 8.1) I was surprised it actually works.

Curt Harms
03-30-2014, 9:45 AM
:D:D
Most excellent advice. Oh and use good antivirus.

Or run XP in a virtual machine running in Linux. (Couldn't help myself.):D

Yup. I've run XP & 7 as an experiment on *buntu installs using Virtualbox found in the Ubuntu repositories. I have 4 GB. RAM, don't think I'd try a VM without at least 3 GB. Running common software & printing worked just like a 'bare metal' windows install. I did have to install guest extensions in order to get full screen and USB support.

Actually, the best way to run XP now would be to store all data on a network drive or some form of off computer storage.

Excellent advice no matter the O.S.

That way if you get a bad infection, you can nuke and reinstall. There are utilities that allow you to make a script that reinstalls your OS and installs any software you use. Several of them are free, and available from MS. I prefer this method to imaging, as I have seen images get infected too many times. Even reinstalling from scratch is pretty quick once you have done it a few times. I used to make my students do it every day so that it became second nature to them. They complained, but many still thank me for it when I run into them.
YMMV of course.

Will antivirus companies continue to support XP after April 8th?

paul cottingham
03-30-2014, 10:07 AM
The antivirus should continueto work, as the definitions are OS agnostic, so i wouldn't worry about that. Eventually, it will be hard to get the executable, but that is far in the future, I imagine. You could always use an open source AV like Clam AV, as the older versions will always be available, of course, Clam doesn't check email, so you would need to be careful with that.

Kev Williams
03-31-2014, 10:45 AM
Just found another reason to hate Win 8- Over the weekend my ancient IBM Thinkcentre office computer's motherboard self destructed. Fortunately the drive is fine and I'm able to extract all my files using the drive as a slave in another computer. I use Quickbooks 2005 to keep my books...

...Guess what? My quickbooks won't load and work correctly on my shiny new Win8 boat anchor. One of the modules won't register. I can "ignore" that and finish installing the program, but it won't run.

I've yet to find one redeeming quality about Windows 8. Freakin' ridiculous :mad:

Brian Elfert
03-31-2014, 11:18 AM
If you are still using Quickbooks 2005 you're probably going to have to upgrade. I don't really like Intuit because they force you to upgrade Quicken every two or three years to keep online services working. I think it saves me enough time on my finances that it is worth the $40 every few years.

Larry Browning
04-08-2014, 3:28 PM
Well, today is the day. According to MS XP is now dead!
Here is a link to some fun facts about Windows XP:
http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/461048-amazing-facts-to-remember-windows-xp-by-data-visualization

The ATM thing is a little worrisome!

Curt Harms
04-09-2014, 8:25 AM
I'm suffering brain fade right now. I seem to recall reading about a version of XP - not desktop or server obviously - that is supported until 2016 or so. It's a stripped down iteration used sort of like the operating system in a GPS or entertainment systems. I wonder if that is what is used in ATM systems. I can't believe financial institutions would leave themselves open to lawsuits arising from losses caused by the use of a non-supported O.S. whose security issues are well known. Well, unless the ATM vendors are paying Microsoft to continue support for their XP based machines. Microsoft will continue to support XP - for $200/machine this year, $400/machine next year etc. I imagine large enterprises could negotiate their own deals.

Brian Elfert
04-09-2014, 8:30 AM
Windows XP embedded is supported until 2016. Companies can pay to get support for XP until 2020, but it isn't cheap. I've heard the cost for just a single company is $1 million plus.

Curt Harms
04-09-2014, 8:32 AM
Windows XP embedded is supported until 2016. Companies can pay to get support for XP until 2020, but it isn't cheap. I've heard the cost for just a single company is $1 million plus.

Thanks Brian. Embedded is the term I was looking for.

glenn bradley
04-09-2014, 9:41 AM
We go through this experience as a matter of course at work. Many of the invisible network devices that make our online life possible have a given life cycle. Some function for 10 to 15 years while others are designed for only a few years of service at best. Windows XP suffers the fate of a well matured long-life system. When something is in use for an extended period of time you establish a wide user base. If the product is in use long enough you can have an entire generation that has known little else. I work with people who have never used a routable protocol beside IP and who are only vaguely familiar with any network technology other than Ethernet.

XP's end-of-support has been announced for years. If we're not ready now, we aren't going to be. The sheer volume of updates that come out per month let you know what is required to keep XP current. I don't think your XP machine will suddenly become any more interesting to evil-doers than it was day before yesterday. If you had any experience in moving to Windows 7 you know that some applications and hardware have requirements that are fairly specific. XP functionality won't break, it will just become more questionable as products move forward. Some may work while others may not. As for me, I don't see my little XP laptop that is incapable of running Windows 7 as a dying platform. I see it as a unix laptop waiting to be born.

Your operating system requirement is dictated by the applications you want to run and the things you want to do. Oh yeah, and your tolerance for exposure if you choose to connect to the internet.

Myk Rian
04-09-2014, 10:19 AM
Same thing happened with DOS, Win 3.1, 95, etc.
I upgraded to Win 7 several months ago after loving XP.
Life goes on.

Kev Williams
04-09-2014, 1:05 PM
14 years ago all computers were supposed to die at midnight Dec. 31st. Nothing happened.

Today I find my XP computers are still working. My Win 98se computer that runs ancient software I use daily, and is connected to the internet with zero AV or malware software, keeps running flawlessly.

Yet 5 minutes ago my Win8 computer just crashed, took 20 minutes to re-boot and 5 minutes for me to read the "memory dump" error message.

I
Will
Never
Pay
Another
Cent
For
Any
Microsoft
Products
Period.

Lee Reep
04-09-2014, 1:33 PM
Will antivirus companies continue to support XP after April 8th?

I use Avast and got a notice that as an XP user, I had nor reason to worry. They are continuing support for XP. I'm a bit suspicious. Not that I do not trust Avast, but can they or any other AV company truly keep an unsupported OS safe? I had planned to make the move to Apple since my wife and I are huge fans of our iPhones and iPad, and willing to try out a Mac when we are ready to repalce a Win7 laptop. I am not using anything that absolutely requires Windows, and have a good friend that made the move to Apple years ago, but has Windows running on a Mac for his requirement to run some Windows apps. I'll take his lead, I think.

Being retired now, I am more interested in spending more time is the wood shop, and less time (make that no time) screwing around with Microsoft and Windows every few years when the latest ploy to upgrade comes up.