PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 42 Saw Set

Glenn Samuels
03-26-2014, 8:10 PM
I just received an inexpensive Stanley 42. I do realize that it is definitely not the 42X. (I may pick one up at the upcoming Liberty Antique Show in NC) The 42 has a single plunger but it also has a horizontal plate on the back side of the blade that is meant to hold the blade in place. Is there a way to adjust the plate in and out to have it closer to the blade or is this the reason that the 42X was introduced with the double plunger. If you have had any experience with the 42, I would like to hear your thoughts.

Mike Brady
03-27-2014, 10:26 AM
It sounds like you have (need pics) an early model of their 42 saw set that was superceded later by the 42X, as you mentioned. Many people use that set still, although the 42X is the tool-of-choice. 42W are available and they have the adjustable bar you spoke of. Of the above I have not used a 42, but I don't recall it being maligned in posts about saw sets, either. Woodnet just had an extensive thread on what to look for when evaluating saw sets. Stanley sets were all well-made and certainly functioned adequately for their users during the era when the hand saw was arguably the single most important tool. Provided yours isn't worn out or neglected to a point of uselessness you should find it serviceable. Don't forget that many people like the plier-type sets as opposed to the pistol grip style of the Stanley.

Sorry I didn't answer your question directly.

Warren Mickley
03-27-2014, 10:34 AM
I have used the Stanley 42. It is designed for coarser toothed saws than the 42X, like a 5 point saw to a 13 point saw. In use you put the set in place, then cock it so the tooth is against the anvil then squeeze to set. Since the plunger is wider, it probably does a little nicer job on the coarse teeth.