PDA

View Full Version : Festool circular saw & MFT AND/OR (S)CMS?

Christian Aufreiter
06-21-2005, 7:44 PM
Hello folks,

I’m not interested in starting another general GCSS discussion or F vs. E debate. But what I’m interested in is if you, owners of a Festool circular saw and a MFT, also have and use a (S)CMS or not.
Do you think the Festool saw and MFT are a good replacement for a (S)CMS? Or do you can you think of jobs where you prefer a (S)CMS?

Thanks for your responses.

Christian

Bob Marino
06-21-2005, 8:06 PM
Well, one area where the (S) CMS would excel is cutting crown moulding. Just ask Per. ;)

Bob

Christian Aufreiter
06-21-2005, 8:10 PM
Well, one area where the (S) CMS would excel is cutting crown moulding, right Per :) ?

Bob

Well, being in Europe, the perfect tool for crown molding would be the Symmetric :D . And it would not only be perfect for that application, no, it would even be pretty foolproof for guys like me who have difficulities with mitres all the time ;) .

Christian

Per Swenson
06-21-2005, 8:34 PM
Christian,

All though I have the 1080 mft and both saws,

You could have my Makita 12 inch sliding compound

only when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Ask Bob.

Not because one is better then the other,

because that is the bike I ride.

Also I have a portable and accurate 12 foot

fence attachment, with flip stops.

You can see the rig here, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=19422

Per.

Mike Cutler
06-21-2005, 9:12 PM
It's hard to beat the speed and repeatability of an (S)CMS. If you have to 10, 20 or a hundred repetetive cuts, It's just easier on an (S)CMS, slide the board and pull, slide the board and pull. Notice, I didn't say accurate, I said repeatable. With that fence system of Per's and quality full kerf blade, I think an argument can be made to add accuracy to the description also.
It's a different machine in my opinion, and I've been missing mine since I loaned it out to a friend in need, it should be coming home soon.

Per Swenson
06-21-2005, 9:43 PM
Sorry I have to add......

Accurate, This one, extremely.

If you go back and look at the linked picture there is also

a laser kerf unit hooked to the bottom.

This unit really does work as advertised. http://laserkerf.com/home.htm

And Mike has it right about the blade size.

Even on a 10 inch SCMS anything less then a full 1/8

kerf is asking for blade deflection, trouble as soon

as you swing the head out of 90 degrees to the table.

This kind of setup though is rather costly.

All together about $1200 American.

Please note that I am so use to working with one,

that it is just second nature.

Per

Sam Blasco
06-21-2005, 10:01 PM
my SCMS has stayed in the truck ever since my sliding table saw showed up (embedded in my combo) years ago. however, I would never part with it for a job site essential. My set up is similar to Per's, only it folds up with wheels. I've got lots of Festool stuff (crazy about it) but have only played with the MFT if others' shops and at trade shows before the curtain goes up. ten years ago I would have scooped it up in a heart beat, but with everything I have now, it just makes no sense for me. if you have to choose one or the other, that might be tough. Versatility vs. ease and speed. if you run a bunch of molding the slide miter would probably be the winner. but since both don't take up that much room and can be stored easily when not in use, just get both.

Jay Knoll
06-22-2005, 7:08 AM
:) Christian

I have a SCMS and the MFT, I like them both, for different purposes, for me, the MFT works great for panels -- I don't have a sliding table on my little Dewalt benchtop saw (which isn't seeing much action since I got my Festool stuff)

I use the SCMS for most other cross cuts, it seems easier to use it than to set up the MFT with spacer blocks if I'm working with narrow stuff -- I don't like to leave the guiderail unsupported across the width of the table -- I also find it easier to "sneak up" on a mitre cut, for example, if I've made it too long by using the SCMS than with the MFT. But that may be because I am an amature and don't do this stuff for a living

Frankly if I had bought my Festool and SCMS before I bought my little dewalt, I don't think I would have a TS right now but that is another thread which has already been discussed

Jay

RichMagnone
06-22-2005, 7:21 AM
Per - how does that fence hook to the saw itself. Better said: can you show a picture (either overhead or side view) of the junction between the fence and the saw?

I have the KREG fence system sitting unopened right now and I am trying to figure out the best way to make it portable. Even though I will not go on the road with it, I'd like to be able to break it down for sake of storage space when not in use.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-22-2005, 7:29 AM
Nice setup Per! I have the 1013 and that same stand. I need to check into the table system you show. I want the new 1214 next...that is if we ever toast the 1013 (not likely).

As to your Q Christian, I'd have both...the SCMS is much faster on repetitive cuts using a stop system.

Mark Riegsecker
06-22-2005, 7:53 AM
my SCMS has stayed in the truck ever since my sliding table saw showed up (embedded in my combo) years ago. however, I would never part with it for a job site essential. My set up is similar to Per's, only it folds up with wheels. I've got lots of Festool stuff (crazy about it) but have only played with the MFT if others' shops and at trade shows before the curtain goes up. ten years ago I would have scooped it up in a heart beat, but with everything I have now, it just makes no sense for me. if you have to choose one or the other, that might be tough. Versatility vs. ease and speed. if you run a bunch of molding the slide miter would probably be the winner. but since both don't take up that much room and can be stored easily when not in use, just get both.

Can someone tell me to what the high lighted letters refer. Thanks ......Who knows maybe I want one? Or two:D

Bob Marino
06-22-2005, 7:58 AM
Sure. Sliding Compound Miter Saw and Multi Function Table.

Bob

Per Swenson
06-22-2005, 9:03 AM
Rich,

A couple of things first,

This product is by far the best thing of its type

out there. But! Call me spoiled,

My miter saw lives outside on jobs and at home.

For $480 they could of powder coated the steel.

I also switched the nuts and bolts for stainless.

Now the good part, You can set this saw up in 60 seconds,

aligned and dead on accurate. It is the patented bracket system

that works as advertised. So as requested here are a couple of shots.

They should be self explanatory.

Per

Jim Becker
06-22-2005, 9:22 AM
I have both the MFT and an CMS and they both have their unique uses as well as placed they "cross over". While I could live without one or the other (the MFT is a recent addition to the shop, more or less), I'm using the MFT more and more, but not necessarily for things that I use my CMS for. The latter mostly is used for breaking down long stock and other similar cutting. I tend to do "precision cuts" at other tools, however, largely because my older CMS isn't the most accurate tool in the shop... ;)

Don Baer
06-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I have a DeWalt CMS and wouldn't be without it. Setup is quick and very accurate. That said I don't have and of the Festools so I can't give you a fair comparison.

RichMagnone
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the pics. Its so simple it seems like a no brainer! (most things that work well seem so logical in hindsight).

Chris Padilla
06-22-2005, 1:22 PM
I have both but have had the SCMS for much longer. I plan to have a dedicated SCMS station much like Mr. Becker. The SCMS is just so quick for knocking down lengths (hardwood, 2x4s, PVC, Aluminum pieces, etc). The MFT is something that I plan to set up but then take-down and store against or on the wall but who knows, that could change.

Frank Pellow
06-22-2005, 2:01 PM
I have the Festool MFT as well as a non-powered mitre box that can dupuplicte most of the capabilities of a compound mitre saw (see: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32926&cat=1,42884). I also use my table saw for simple angled cuts.

I could probably do without the mitre box but I do find that I am glad to have it on occasion.

Dave Avery
06-22-2005, 3:35 PM
Christian,

Recognize that this is a gross simplification, but I use the MFT for furniture-making, the CMS for construction. I almost sold my CMS post-Festool purchase, but LOML wouldn't let me. And when I replaced the decking on my deck, the CMS was the obvious tool of choice. So I guess it depends on what you're going to be doing. If it's furniture-making, I'd definitely recommend the MFT. For more general purpose use, the CMS. Dave.

Bob Noles
06-22-2005, 4:15 PM
Frank,

My miter saw is probably my most used tool in the shop, but swallows up storage space even though it folds up nicely against the wall. It is heavy to move around even though I have it on the Delta mobile base which I think is one of the best for my purposes. Your link to the LV non powered MS looked really good and has me thinking. Does it give a really good cut? About what would you say it weighs? What do you use for a stand?

Christian Aufreiter
06-22-2005, 4:42 PM
Hi folks,

thanks for you helpful replies.
I already have an Ulmia (http://www.ulmia.de/English/Ulmia-Gehrungssaegen.htm) hand-powered that I like and use a lot. Since I’ve equipped it with a Japanese cross cut blade I get really smooth cuts.
Anyway, a SCMS would definitely offer more capacity which might be an adavantage as I don’t own a table saw.
As for the MFT, I started to build a very simple cutting table that will be used for similar purposes as the originial Festool MFT:
Per, your setup looks great.
Have you ever used other mitre saws than Makita?

Follow up question, how often do you need a wider mitre range than +- 45°?

Thanks again.

Christian

Per Swenson
06-22-2005, 5:48 PM
Christian,

Thank you.

Yes, I have used Dewalt, Bosch, Delta, and craftsman. I still own

The millwaukee 10" scms and use it for back up and rough framing.

As for my thoughts on those brands......I took a picture of the makita.

Per