PDA

View Full Version : Power Switch Installation

Sam Bell-Hart
03-26-2014, 5:52 PM
I recently bought an old Belsaw planer that I'm looking to add an on/off switch to. Currently there's just a power cord running from the motor and it just starts up when plugged in. So I bought a Grizzly H8243 Paddle Switch that the folks at Grizzly said was rated to work with my motor. My question is about the wiring- The wiring diagram (https://d27ewrs9ow50op.cloudfront.net/manuals/h8243_m.pdf) in the switch manual is a little confusing (at least to someone unused to working with things electrical), as it shows where the two hot wires connect, but seems to be showing an entirely separate ground line? I recently put a new 220V plug on the end of the line (I had to get rid of the twist-lock plug it came with) and and know that the cable has two hot and one ground wires. The manual also mentions that it "fits all basic electrical boxes". Anyways, apologies for my naivete, but I've found next to nothing in terms of resources for this sort of stuff (which seems like it should be relatively simple?). Maybe, I've just taken the wrong step in adding a power switch to the machine but it seems as if it shouldn't be too difficult to "splice" a switch onto the power cord somewhere. Any advice very welcomed!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2014, 7:00 PM
Sam,

Wiring it for 240 vac isn't difficult. The two incoming hot wires from the plug attach to the two "line" contacts on the switch. Then two wires come off the "load" side to your motor. Thus, when the switch is turned off, it will remove both hot legs of the incoming ac from the motor.

Typically, the incoming ground wire would be terminated at a terminal or screw in the switch box/enclosure and another ground wire attached to the same terminal would be run to the motor.

Do you have a box for the switch on your planer?

Mike Heidrick
03-26-2014, 7:43 PM
Pay attention to the gauge wire in the power cord on your machine.

Time to shop.
Get a metal electrical box from lowes/hd/ orany hardware store. Take the switch with you if you have to and match up the switch mounting screws with the box. I would get a metal one that had knock outs for cable clamps and a ground screw inside the box and holes to mount the box to your machine. Get a couple cable clamps as well and some wire terminals to match the gauge wire in your power cord.

At home, knock out the cable clamp holes and install the clamps. Bolt box to metal part of the machine. Cut the unplugged wire in half where you want the box. You will have three conductors - typically green white and black. Run one cable in the top (I would do motor side) and one in the bottom through the clamps. Both green wires will go to the box - it may or may not have a grounding screw but typically has a spot to mount one at least. I would use crimp wire terminals to make positive connections to the ground screw and the screw terminals on the switch. The plug wires go to the line side - both are 220V so it will not matter. Motor black and white wires go to load side. Verify everything is tight and nothing will short out once enclosed. Feel free to get out a continuity meter and test all your connections. Once satisfied, screw switch to electrical box front. Tighten the cable clamps snugly but don't over tighten.

Good to go. Plug in and start it up.