PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on Bells palsy

Pat Barry
03-26-2014, 11:00 AM
We have such a cross-functional group of folks here that I thought I'd ask about Bells Palsy.

My daughter had an incident this weekend and as it turns out, after completing MRI and spinal tap procedures, various blood tests, etc, the doctors and neurologist settled on Bells Palsy as the diagnosis. Basically there was an infection, caused by a latent virus apparently, that acted up and affected here nerves running to her face. This was highlighted by the MRI with dye and it clearly showed the hot spot centered on this group of nerves behind her ear. As a result she is semi-paralyzed on the right side of the face affecting her mouth, cheek, tongue, and eye. She can't close here eyelid completely and the outlook for this is a long recovery time to, hopefully, get back to normal again although the Dr would not promise anything. I have read anywhere from 2 weeks to see some improvement to 7 weeks for complete and final recovery to whatever recovery she will ultimately get. She is on Prednisone and an anti-viral medication now and will be for about 10 days. The neurologist talked of doing an electrical stimulation test in about 10 days in order to help determine what the permanent damage might be.

So, I'm curious to find out if anyone here has had close experience with this disease, either themselves or a close family member for example. Please send me a PM and I'd like to follow-up off line to see what the experience was like and how it turned out and what to watch out for, what worked, what didn't, etc.

Thanks

David G Baker
03-26-2014, 12:27 PM
Get her into physical therapy as soon as possible to prevent permanent damage. Other than that there isn't any treatment that I have read or heard that will help. My wife had it and did the physical therapy and there is no sign that she ever had it. I am surprised that her doctors did not diagnose the problem prior to giving her a battery of expensive tests. There may be many stages of the disease and my wife may have had a mild one.

Pat Barry
03-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Yes - you are right - we are trying to get the PT set up ASAP. With regard to the testing - they wanted to rule out meningitis and stroke / tumor all of which can give similar symptoms I guess

Val Kosmider
03-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Bells Palsy occurs when the nerves which pass through a small hole in the bone behind/below the ear somehow get inflamed. The symptoms which you describe are typical.

It seems like an OMG moment...paralysis of the face, numbness, drooping, itching, inability to close the eye. it seems like you are going through hell, and must have had a stroke or something life threatening.

And then it all goes away. The worst symptoms exist for a week or ten days, and then start to reverse. Little by little you get better, until in a month or two there are no residual symptoms or indications that you ever had a problem.

I wouldn't go head over heels with tests, examinations, PT or other analysis and treatments. It is what it is, and a good physician will know right away what he is dealing with. Treat with antibiotics and steroids to reduce the swelling.

Had it. Scared the hell out of me. Got better. Never any residual problems.

Pat Barry
03-26-2014, 1:08 PM
Thanks Val - yes, it certainly scared the hell out of us this weekend. I passed along your experience and encouraging words to my daughter. Thank you

Dave Sheldrake
03-26-2014, 2:09 PM
http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/adult/nervous_system_disorders/bells_palsy_85,P00774/

John's Hopkins info. My niece had it for around 2 weeks before going away totally, my ex in my younger years had it for around 8 months.

cheers

Dave

Rick Potter
03-26-2014, 2:51 PM
I had it years ago. We left home to drive about 80 or so miles, and my face started to itch a little. By the time we got there, one side of my face felt dead, my eye wouldn't blink properly, and I drooled out one side of my mouth. The doctor said some people call it 'chauffeurs disease', because it affects them on the side where the window is always open.

It lasted almost six months for me. Drank with a straw, because I dribbled. Some trouble eating because the lips were dead on one side, had trouble speaking, and the eye ran a lot. I kept a napkin with me all the time. There was a guy I worked with occasionally who had it permanently, which bothered me no end.

With time it gradually got better, as I said, about six months for me. The doctor gave me a TENS (SP?) machine which is used to mildly shock the nerves. It's supposed to keep the muscles from atrophying.

Never had a clue what caused it, but I do have the window open whenever I can when driving. No idea if that means anything or not.

Rick Potter

Pat Barry
03-26-2014, 6:53 PM
Thank you for the link Dave. I was trying to remember the name JohnsHopkins - it was recommended by her neurologist. A lot of good info. 8 months though? I don't think I'll pass that on to my daughter just yet.

Thank you also Rick. My daughter is going through the same things you describe with trouble eating, dribbling and a bit of trouble speaking because her mouth isn't working quite right. Reminds me of being loaded with novacaine. I am so surprised that it shows up out of nowhere and then hangs on for so long. Trying to keep her spirits up. Having other peoples experiences to pass along does help.

Michael Mahan
03-26-2014, 7:30 PM
A guy I worked with a close friend had it , same as above , his lasted a month & in two months he was back to normal
scared the crap outta him & his wife as well .
he drove a truck for living & yes he had it on the drivers side of his face

Mike Cozad
03-26-2014, 8:11 PM
25 years ago I woke up with my face paralyzed on the right side. Went to see the corpsman and it turns out it was an ear infection I didn't know I had or had symptoms of. Antibiotics for 10 days or so and goop to put in my eye at night (to keep my eye from drying out while i slept) for the next 6-8 weeks and it all disappeared. Being a baby sailor at the time my buddies tortured me everytime we were at chow. Watching the paralyzed kid try to eat a cheeseburger was always good for a laugh as it ran down his face or he bit his tounge... Ahh the memories, lol...

glenn bradley
03-26-2014, 8:58 PM
Girlfriend in college had it. Just as you describe, it "just happened" and quite quickly moved from 'not quite normal' to paralysis. Very scary but, she recovered completely in about 8 weeks. I still see her now and again, no signs of it at all. She was 19 at the time IIRC.

Scott Stewart
03-26-2014, 10:09 PM
My mom had it many moons ago, took about 9 months to clear, but you would never know she had it now.

Brian Deakin
03-28-2014, 4:59 PM
Please see http://www.evidence.nhs.uk/topic/bell-s-palsy

Please read with care and always get proffesional healthcare advice before making any decision

regards Brian

Brian Deakin
03-28-2014, 5:06 PM
Please see

http://www.evidence.nhs.uk/topic/bell-s-palsy

Please read with care and always take proffesional healthcare advice befre making any decision

regards Brian

Pat Barry
03-28-2014, 6:29 PM
Once again I'd like to thank everyone for their responses. It is encouraging to hear that recovery is likely. My daughter as you can imagine has a huge concern about this. We are sure hoping for a quick recovery but even knowing that recovery might take up to 9 months is encouraging considering that on Sunday we were concerned whatever was affecting her might even be fatal. Brian, her doctor does agree with most everything except that she is on the anti-viral medication. This was also recommended by Johns Hopkins, Mayo, and Cleveland Clinic.