PDA

View Full Version : DSL Modem Time-out? Ideas?

Mark Bolton
03-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Hey all,
Have a situation that Im wondering if some of the tech savvy may have some input on. I have Frontier DSL here at the shop and ever since it was installed Ive had an issue where every morning when I get here, or even if I pack up my laptop and go to a customers for a while, when I return I have to cycle the modem to have internet access. The computer will see the remembered network, password, and so on, however it will log on to the network but never get passed "connected with limited access". It hits this point even after cycling but quickly switches to "connected" and all is fine. Initially when the DSL was installed (years ago) this happened and I called tech support and the tech, while advising against it, said to try taking off the password leaving the network wide open which solved the problem. I could walk into the shop at any time and have access (which I loved). I have no neighbors and am in a rural area but on a main street so technically someone could park in front of the shop and get on but I highly doubt there are many mischievous hackers sitting on a busy street in my hillbilly town but maybe so.

Back to the situation, a couple weeks ago there was an issue with one of my email accounts which required re-setting passwords and the tech wanted the password back on the router so we put one back on and poof. Here we are right back to walking in every day, and sometimes multiple times a day, having to cycle that modem and its very irritating. I just got off the line with Frontier Tech support and after explaining it the tech basically just said he can think of no work around or solution and thought perhaps the laptop was forgetting the settings or something but still nothing after telling him I mere click the on/off on the modem and its fine.

It almost seems like the modem times-out or something or goes to sleep? Just wondering if any of you have any ideas or thoughts. I would really love to have it setup to where anyone that comes in doesnt require a password but that doesnt seem to be the best solution.

Thanks for any input.

Matt Meiser
03-26-2014, 11:20 AM
Do you have their modem/router? What do the lights on top tell you? Mine has a DSL light--if its not on steady, its not synced to their equipment. Sometimes a reboot will fix it but more often than not its a problem on their end. That probably happens once a month. If the "Internet" light isn't lit, I believe it means it can't get an IP address.

I have mine in "bridge" mode much to their disdain so I'm not real familiar with all the router settings. There may be a setting in there somewhere that tells it to keep the connection alive. You might also try leaving the computer on and let it check your email regularly overnight. It may be that something is using it when open and keeping things alive.

If nothing else, tell them you want them to replace the modem/router. If they refuse, I'd call back and tell them now it doesn't have any lights. You are paying about what the thing costs in mandatory rent tacked on to the advertised rates every year.

My current scheduled to be rid of them is in 13 days. Can't wait...

Mark Bolton
03-26-2014, 11:54 AM
Do you have their modem/router? What do the lights on top tell you? Mine has a DSL light--if its not on steady, its not synced to their equipment. Sometimes a reboot will fix it but more often than not its a problem on their end. That probably happens once a month. If the "Internet" light isn't lit, I believe it means it can't get an IP address.

I have mine in "bridge" mode much to their disdain so I'm not real familiar with all the router settings. There may be a setting in there somewhere that tells it to keep the connection alive. You might also try leaving the computer on and let it check your email regularly overnight. It may be that something is using it when open and keeping things alive.

If nothing else, tell them you want them to replace the modem/router. If they refuse, I'd call back and tell them now it doesn't have any lights. You are paying about what the thing costs in mandatory rent tacked on to the advertised rates every year.

My current scheduled to be rid of them is in 13 days. Can't wait...

Matt,
Thanks for the reply, yes all the lights are on. I have frequently had the issue with the "internet" light not being on when their service is down (which can be fairly frequently). But when I come in in the morning, or after being away for a while, all the lights will be on (DSL, Internet, Power, and usually #2 which I assume is my Iphone).

I agree with you about the rent on the modem but unfortunately Im in the same boat as you have been in that they are my only option for service here. I have been tempted lately to dump them and run the hotspot through cellphone but speed and data would likely be an issue Id say.

Im feeling like there has simply got to be a setting in there that is incorrect however they wouldnt even consider it in this last call. Im lucky in that I have a Frontier switching building literally 10' from my business and perhaps one of those guys would have some input as they are in and out all the time.

I will poke around and see what this "bridge mode" is or if I can even find it in there.

I dont leave my computer here (laptop) though I have been thinking of setting up a PC here for some time but havent made the leap. The place is completely alarmed but I still worry as basically my entire business is on this laptop, backed up of course, but I keep it with me nearly always.

Matt Meiser
03-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Bridge mode is for when you want to use another router--basically turns their device into just a modem. Is your's a Netgear with a Frontier logo?

I'm considering spending the time this weekend to eliminate my current router and go to using theirs. Should make the changeover to my new cable service easier on install day since I must use the router in the cable company's "media gateway" since we are getting their whole-home DVR service. I'm going to lose some features my router provide and I need to figure out workarounds. If I do, I'll look around in the settings for a keep-alive setting.

Between PCs, DVRs, iPhones, etc, etc, on our network there's always SOMETHING trying to communicate. If truly need something on the network to keep things alive I bet you could find something dirt cheap to do it. Even an old iPhone or iPod touch configured to check your email (or a dummy gmail account for security reasons) plugged into a charger stuck in a desk drawer would do it.

Mark Bolton
03-26-2014, 1:02 PM
The modem/router is a Seimens Gigaset SE567. I did look around a bit for a sleep setting or something to that effect but all I found so far was a snooze setting for the modems firewall which is not enabled anyway. Im going to keep my ear out for one of the Frontier tech's next door. They have been in and out all morning. They may just run over and swap it out for me I often dont even have to put in a service ticket.

Chuck Wintle
03-26-2014, 4:43 PM
Check if there is a setting called maximum idle time. On my modem 0 = infinite idle time or in other words it will never disconnect.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-26-2014, 5:18 PM
Another quick thought is to check and see if there are any firmware updates for that particular modem.

Curt Harms
03-27-2014, 8:26 AM
Another quick thought is to check and see if there are any firmware updates for that particular modem.

That's what I was thinking - either a hardware or firmware problem.

Matt Meiser
04-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Mark, did you ever get this worked out. I have a surplus Frontier branded Netgear modem on my hands now if you want to try a different one.

Seems after 18 months of mandatory $7/mo rental they don't want it back.

Myk Rian
04-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Seems after 18 months of mandatory $7/mo rental they don't want it back.
Yeah. Go figure.