PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes, I Don't Understand Football

Julie Moriarty
03-26-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm a Bears fan. I rarely miss a game. Last year Jay Cutler got injured and Josh McCown took over for him. Everyone in Chicago knows there's Good Jay and Bad Jay and you never know who is going to show up for the game. Bears fans are too often tortured by Bad Jay.

Before getting knocked out by an injury, the Bears were struggling at something like 2-4. McCown went on to win all but one of the games he started and gave the Bears the only chance they had at making the playoffs. Bad Jay ended that chance. At the end of the season, McCown had 13 TDs to 1 INT. Cutler was 13-8. McCown used all of his receivers and gave Alshon Jeffery the chance to show his stuff, and it was AMAZING! When Cutler returned, Jeffery was practically a forgotten man. Under McCown, Jeffery was unbelievable (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-2013-elite-performers/0ap2000000308769/2013-Best-of-Alshon-Jeffery). Cutler only had eyes for Brandon Marshall. Okay... he threw a few to the other receivers.

Last year, when Cutler was healthy to play again, Brian Urlacher (as an announcer) said the Bears need to keep McCown as the starter. Polled Bears fans agreed 2-1. Everyone was excited about the play of McCown and many saw this as a chance to let Cutler go and use the money more wisely.

So what do the Bears do? They cut McCown (age 34) and keep Cutler (31). The Bears just cut a new $126 million, 6-year deal with Cutler. McCown has a $10M, 2-year deal as a starter with the Bucs.

I realize McCown is 34 but Culter will be 31 next month. At their best, I'd say they are even. At their worst, well, there is no Good Josh, Bad Josh.

What am I missing? Where's the logic here?

Mike Circo
03-26-2014, 2:12 PM
Your title should read "I don't understand the Bears".

The Bears do not follow any normal development or planning strategy that any other successful team does. They seem to randomly hire and fire people based on emotion rather than logic. Then if by some random bit of luck they win some games pat themselves on the back. Then the next year they once again hire and fire randomly, only to screw up the team again. Seems to be repeated pattern.

Chris Padilla
03-26-2014, 2:57 PM
This pretty much has little to do with football, unfortunately.

I picked up McCown in FF when Cutler went down and he helped me to my Super Bowl in FF (which I lost...because Cutler came back, I keep saying to my buddies) but age is a HUGE deal for a QB unless you're a Favre or a Manning, I guess.

Jim Koepke
03-26-2014, 3:37 PM
Not being much of a football fan my only remembrance of this kind of situation was with the team I liked to root for way back when.

Many felt they had the best quarterback at the time, Joe Montana. What few realized or would mention is the team also was home to what was likely the leagues second best quarterback, Steve Young. The story was the 'Niners kept him on the bench so no other team would be able to have him on their roster.

It almost happened that first year Steve Young was the starter and Joe Montana was playing for the KC Chiefs. Both teams were in the playoffs. Both teams were eliminated.

I remember that year when the 'Niners won Super Bowl XVI. After they won the first two games of the season I remarked at work that they were going to the Super Bowl. My coworkers thought I was nuts. My thought was in their most recent seasons it took the whole season for them to win two games. The guy that thought me the craziest took me with him when he went to buy the Super Bowl XVI book at the sports outlet. He never said anything, but I knew he remembered.

jtk

Pat Barry
03-26-2014, 4:21 PM
Personally, as a Viking fan, I'm super happy to hear the Bears haven't figured things out. LOL

Julie Moriarty
03-26-2014, 7:03 PM
Your title should read "I don't understand the Bears".

The Bears do not follow any normal development or planning strategy that any other successful team does. They seem to randomly hire and fire people based on emotion rather than logic. Then if by some random bit of luck they win some games pat themselves on the back. Then the next year they once again hire and fire randomly, only to screw up the team again. Seems to be repeated pattern.

When I started reading your post I thought, "He really understands the Bears." Then I see you're from Algonquin and must be a fellow sufferer. :o

Larry Frank
03-26-2014, 8:11 PM
My name is Larry and I am a Bears Fan....

What has become of the Bears - Urlacher Gone, Hester Gone, and they get rid of McCown. Everyone knows that Cutler can not play a complete season and throws interceptions. All the other teams should be happy that Cutler stays. I wish the best for McCown and hope is does extremely well

Greg Peterson
03-26-2014, 9:57 PM
I don't see the problem.

Dick Latshaw
03-26-2014, 10:24 PM
I don't see the problem.

Me either. Particularly since we have a new coach, whom you Bears fans might remember. Oh, and another quarterback, too.

Bruce Page
03-26-2014, 11:08 PM
I feel your pain Julie. As a Broncos fan I lived with Good Jay/Bad Jay for three years and was glad to see him go. (sorry Chicago) I never did understand what the front office saw in him, he must have a really, really good agent.

Brian Tymchak
03-27-2014, 7:32 AM
What am I missing? Where's the logic here?

Not a Bears fan, Go Pack Go!!

But, this will make you feel even better about the Bears front office. Particularly liked the part how for $1 they could have had some options they don't have.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24375969/the-ironic-reason-why-the-bears-cant-extend-josh-mccown

Paul McGaha
03-27-2014, 8:20 AM
I think it's hard for the average fan to understand some of the player changes the teams make.

Darren Sproles played very well for the Saints the last few years. One of the their best players. He had a decent year last year. So why trade him to the Eagles for a 5th round draft choice?

I guess you just have to trust the judgment of the teams management. About the only thing we can do really.

PHM

Wes Mitchell
03-27-2014, 9:33 AM
I never did understand what the front office saw in him, he must have a really, really good agent.

We know it isn't his winning personality...