PDA

View Full Version : Trotec Speedy 300 60W and 3mm Acrylic Cutting

Khalid Nazim
03-26-2014, 10:21 AM
I would like to know what speed / power is being used by people who have Trotec Speedy 300 60W to cut 3mm cast acrylic.

The background to this question is that am working on a project which requires engraving and cutting 3mm clear Cast Acrylic. I am colloborating on this project with a friend of mine who has a Trotec Speedy 300 60W. The engraving speed on the Trotec is phenomenal. However, the cutting was too slow. He was using 100% power and 1% speed. That seemed too much power and too slow to me as I can cut 3mm acrylic on my 80W Shenhui with 20%P / 75mm/s.

We have to cut and engrave 300 9" x 5" with heavy text coverage in the next few days and would like to optimize our settings.

Thank you.

Regards
Khalid

Bob A Miller
03-26-2014, 10:51 AM
I haven't had my speedy 400 setup long enough to compare but I think the answer is Trotec's recommended speeds are for the best cut edge without any ridges on the cuts.... Or at least that's what my tech alluded to.

Just set set ours up & I have to leave it to take a family trip 1400km away...:(

Scott Shepherd
03-26-2014, 11:57 AM
However, the cutting was too slow. He was using 100% power and 1% speed. That seemed too much power and too slow to me as I can cut 3mm acrylic on my 80W Shenhui with 20%P / 75mm/s.

It wouldn't be slow because it's a Trotec, it would be slow because it's 60W. Your 80W is going to cut faster, without question. Speeds on rastering do matter, speeds on vectoring don't, meaning someone with a 80W Chinese machine isn't going to cut much slower or faster than someone with a 80W Trotec. Speeds matter radically when rastering, not so much in vectoring.

You also can't compare speeds either. 1% on a Trotec is 5% on a Universal is "X" on some other brand. The numbers can't be compared across platforms because they are relative to the machine speed. 1% on a Chinese machine isn't 1% on a Trotec. Just doesn't work that way.

Khalid Nazim
03-26-2014, 1:51 PM
My apologies for not making it clear.

I wanted to ask the speed/power setting that other Trotec Speedy 300/60W users were using to cut 3mm Cast Acrylic to see if there is an issue with my friend's machine. He was doubting it as well. This information was not to compare with my chinese machine or make a judgement call on which machine is right or wrong. It was merely to understand if there is a problem withe Trotec that we are using or if this is how it should be.

So again, I will appreciate if people can share their settings for a Trotec Speedy 300/60W for cutting 3mm cast Acrylic.

Regards
Khalid

Scott Shepherd
03-26-2014, 1:57 PM
My apologies for not making it clear.

I wanted to ask the speed/power setting that other Trotec Speedy 300/60W users were using to cut 3mm Cast Acrylic to see if there is an issue with my friend's machine. He was doubting it as well. This information was not to compare with my chinese machine or make a judgement call on which machine is right or wrong. It was merely to understand if there is a problem withe Trotec that we are using or if this is how it should be.

So again, I will appreciate if people can share their settings for a Trotec Speedy 300/60W for cutting 3mm cast Acrylic.

Regards
Khalid

Khalid, that's right about where it should be on a 60W for 1/8" thick.

Jiten Patel
03-27-2014, 4:43 AM
On my 80w 400 I cut with 100% power and between 0.9 and 1.1 speed depending on colour. Clear is usually 1.00 for optimum results. Why dont you post a test cut file and I can compare the cutting time for you.

Khalid Nazim
03-27-2014, 1:36 PM
Jit/others,

I have attached the drawing that I am working on. The black text needs to engraved and the blue line is to be cut. Let me how much time would this take on the Trotec.

Regards
Khalid

Scott Shepherd
03-27-2014, 2:10 PM
I don't know the time, but I hope you aren't engraving it vertically, it'll take almost twice as long as it would if you rotated it 90 degrees.

Khalid Nazim
03-27-2014, 3:42 PM
Scott,

Great advice. Never thought of that!! Thanks.

Regards
Khalid

Jiten Patel
03-28-2014, 9:20 AM
That takes about 4 minutes at 300dpi. To speed things up, if you are tiling these onto a large sheet, merge the cut lines, so instead of it cutting around each invites, stack them next to each other and cut out a grid.

Scott Shepherd
03-28-2014, 9:30 AM
That takes about 4 minutes at 300dpi. To speed things up, if you are tiling these onto a large sheet, merge the cut lines, so instead of it cutting around each invites, stack them next to each other and cut out a grid.

That's about what I got too Jiten, I think I had 24 minutes to run 6 of them, so 4 minutes each, but that was at 500 DPI.

Khalid Nazim
03-28-2014, 12:25 PM
Scott/Jit,

Thank you very much for your help. Just to be clear, you taking 4mins to cut and engraving one invite? Thats phenomenal.

Regards
Khalid

Scott Shepherd
03-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Scott/Jit,

Thank you very much for your help. Just to be clear, you taking 4mins to cut and engraving one invite? Thats phenomenal.

Regards
Khalid

Yes, that's 4 minutes each, total of 24 minutes run time for 6 of them at a time is what I had setup and tested last night.