PDA

View Full Version : Found a used Hitachi F1000A Jointer/Planer on CL - should I buy it?

ShawnE Curry
03-26-2014, 9:43 AM
Within a year or so, I'll be in serious need of a good jointer and planer. I am the proud owner of 14 acres of beautiful old-growth hardwood forest, and I plan to harvest some of this for lumber once the weather warms up. My neighbor 4 houses down from me has a huge sawmill that I can use (score!). My parents also have a early 1900's barn that we'll be tearing down this year, and there are some really awesome timbers in there - like 12"x12"x30' - and I can have as much as I want.

So I don't really need one yet - but I've been looking around. I've been thinking I'll probably make the investment for a high-end helical head model, since I'll potentially be running 1000's of board feet through it. But since I have some time, I've also been keeping an eye on CraigsList, hoping to score someone's unwanted inheritance, or a cool antique model.

There's currently a Hitachi F1000A listed in my area. They're asking $500. The pics look pretty good - I don't see any rust on it, and it looks like it has a really long jointer table. Sounds like it will probably need a new set of knives ($175), and a set of motor bearings (~$40). I recently did a restoration on my grandfather's old 1959 Dewalt MBF radial arm saw, and I had to replace the bearings in that, so I have a little experience in that regard.

Think it's worth it? What should I be looking out for if I do decide to buy it? Will it be enough for my needs? If it's not and I need to replace it, I guess I'm less concerned about the $700 something, and more worried about lugging a 350lb machine up and down stairs to my basement workshop.

Jamie Buxton
03-26-2014, 10:20 AM
Pretty limited capacity, especially if you're going to be processing big timbers.

Ron Kellison
03-26-2014, 10:36 AM
If the rollers are in good shape it's not a bad purchase. If it's going to be in your basement you won't be running any 30' timbers through it! :) If you're going to be using it in your basement you should also be aware that it is a very noisy machine. The Makita and Hitachi used universal motors (think router) rather than slower speed induction motors.

ShawnE Curry
03-26-2014, 10:59 AM
The large timbers will mostly be processed in my garage or my neighbor's barn, and I'll cut them to 8'-12' lengths before I take them into the basement. The only thing I could forsee using longer lengths for would be for structural uses - like annexing another bay onto my garage to store drying lumber :) The green lumber will be rough sawn and dried for a year or so before I ever plane it.

That's good to know about the noisy motor though - that's definitely a consideration for my basement workshop. My workshop is in a fairly confined 20'x22' space, with 7' ceilings, so the noise seems to get amplified reflecting off of the concrete walls. But aren't planers pretty loud anyway once you start cutting? Even if the motor was quieter, it would still get pretty loud I'd think.

Peter Kelly
03-26-2014, 12:13 PM
I've got the Makita version of the same thing (2030N) and it's a real screamer. My MiniMax J/P makes a fraction the amount of noise even when planing full-width.

I'd check the belts for wear on the Hitachi. Apparently they're a headache to replace.

Loren Woirhaye
03-26-2014, 12:20 PM
Also, the rollers will need recovering sooner or later, about $100 apiece I think.

If you're really going to be planing a lot of rough lumber, I think you'll be happier with a 220v machine. An old used Belsaw may be worth looking out for.

Those Hitachi/Makita format J/P combos were really designed to be portable machines for Japanese carpenters. There's a way more robust version of the Hitachi with a 3 phase motor, 10" jointer and 18" planer. There were also non-tilting table saw extensions available that attach to the side opposite the jointer.

Peter Quinn
03-26-2014, 12:35 PM
I used one on a job site a few years back, the planer was decent to ok, the jointer was marginal versus even a decent 6" long bed, may have been influenced by condition some what , and it was loud enough to wake the dead. While it's probably worth what they are asking, it's not what I'd want for my own shop. If finances allow and you want a combo I would look at hammer or minimax, much better machines. Add. Spiral head, quiet as a kitten. I replaced straight knives with a Byrd head in my dc-380 delta. Went from waking dead people, very popular on Halloween but seldom otherwise, to working at night in basement shop after kids go to bed!

Thomas S Stockton
03-26-2014, 5:03 PM
I bought one new about 30 years ago and have used it professionally ever since. the belts are a timing belt and the main cause of wear is leaving the cutterhead locked after changing blades and turning it on, they are not that hard to change but there is a technique to it.
It leaves a very nice finish. The jointer is OK, I never use it I have another one. I've never had the rollers redone, Hitachi used a formula that didn't turn to gum like Makita did.
I've replaced the bearings once a pretty easy job, the on/off switch a couple of times, countless sets of brushes and worn out a couple of sets of blades. The blades on the one you're looking at probably just need sharpening.
Some parts are not made anymore but most that wear out are.
For the amount of machine $500 is a good price
Like others have said it is a screaming banshee.

ShawnE Curry
03-27-2014, 11:56 AM
So I think I'm going to pass on this one and save my money towards a new higher-end machine, given the amount of lumber that I may end up running through it. No sense sacrificing my hearing to save a few bucks, when I don't actually need it just yet.

I'm leaning towards a Grizzly G0634XP at this point. 5HP and it's got the spiral cutterhead. Anybody here have any thoughts on that machine? My bandsaw is a 17" Grizzly, and once I learned the right way to tune it and got a proper blade, it's been a great machine despite it's Asian lineage.

nicholas mitchell
03-27-2014, 12:32 PM
Unless your sawmill neighbour is going to put your lumber in a kiln, you won't actually need the j/p for many,many years. Just a thought.

Etienne Ringuet
03-29-2014, 9:03 AM
I have one at home that I purchased for $225. I had the feed roller re-coated for $63 and I've put a Wixey digital readout on it.

I find that it is a really nice little machine that leave a very smooth finish. It is loud but does a great job. There is no built-in dust collection but I have been able to make a bracket for both the jointer and the planer.

If I was to sell it, I would ask for $600 and I'm pretty sure someone would pick it up at this price.

I would recommend this machine.

John TenEyck
03-29-2014, 3:46 PM
I saw that Hitachi on C-list and thought it looked pretty nice. At over 300 lbs it's sure not a portable, jobsite type of machine. But if you plan to run thousands and thousands of BF through a jointer and planer, I'd be looking for more robust and separate machines. The recommendation of an old Foley Belsaw (or Woodmaster) would be a good choice. They can often be had cheap (I paid $250 for my 12" FB with a 5 HP motor) and they will run all day long. There was an 18" Woodmaster up for sale a week or so ago for around $500, which I almost bought. They are pretty simple and easy to work on machines, too. But they aren't light either, nor will any machine be that you would want for thousands and thousands of BF. A big old American wide jointer in the 12" range would be a good choice, too, but they weigh even more, some over 1000 lb. But you only have to take them down into your basement once. If you ever decide to sell them, the buyer will have to figure out how to get them out.

John

Bill Massie
01-13-2017, 11:23 PM
I have the F1000A but its my brothers and I broke the feed table. If you still have the contact info of the CL ad I would be interested in trying to contact him. or if you know of someone parting one out. I am brand new to the creek and dont know how to navigate it very well, but i will check here for a response, and nav. tips if you have some