PDA

View Full Version : Vario 3, Vario4?

Larry Edgerton
03-26-2014, 8:14 AM
Anyone using one of these? I asked about a year ago but.......

Larry

Erik Loza
03-26-2014, 9:35 AM
What's the question?

Don't own one but have used them and am reasonably familiar with....

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Larry Edgerton
03-26-2014, 9:58 AM
Just impressions and if there are any dependability issues with the variable speed mechanism. They cost a bit more so was wondering if the convenience was worth the extra cost. I was also wondering if you can adjust speed in the middle of the cut.

Larry

nicholas mitchell
03-26-2014, 11:59 AM
They're excellent feeders. No issues, change speeds whenever. Personally I wouldn't bother with the variable speed.. The regular feeders have 8 speeds, more than enough variety for any job. Definitely go with 4 wheels. Is this for your shaper? If you've found a used one go for it, but if you're buying new then definitely look at the co-matic , cantek feeders. They look REMARKABLY similar (nudge,nudge,wink,wink) and save yourself some money. Co-matic also has a track feeder and a 6 wheel. The 6 will be my next feeder.

Erik Loza
03-26-2014, 1:35 PM
Just impressions and if there are any dependability issues with the variable speed mechanism. They cost a bit more so was wondering if the convenience was worth the extra cost. I was also wondering if you can adjust speed in the middle of the cut.

Larry

Never had any issues with Steff feeders but the Varios, as Nicholas pointed out, that is a lot of money for just that one feature. It's really up to the customer in the end. I do believe you can dial up/down the speed at any point if memory serves correctly.

Best,

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

David Kumm
03-26-2014, 3:05 PM
Don't hold me to it but I believe the Varios are difficult to repair compared to the traditional 8 speed. I would at least ask the sales people about that. I've found I use about two speeds most of the time. If you plan any shaping using the feeder against the fence you should look at the Comatic type that pivot from vertical to horizontal. They are variable but with a reeves drive. Flipping a traditional feed is a pain. Dave

Jeff Duncan
03-26-2014, 4:01 PM
I use a Univer variable speed, not sure if it's the same drive system, (reeves type), but mine can be adjusted any time. I really do like the flexibility it offers as it also has the horizontal motor David mentioned which makes it much easier and quicker to flip. However not sure I'd pay what these go for new just for the variable speed? Oh, wait a minute, now that I think about it I'd never buy a feeder new in general as I'm cheap.:o

good luck,
JeffD

Max Neu
03-26-2014, 4:11 PM
I have a Wegoma variable speed with reverse on my shaper.I really like being able to dial in the the speed on the fly.I also like to being able to turn the feeder to face profile,which is where reverse is needed(along with other things).I think it all depends on what kind of operations you plan on doing with your shaper,and how particular you are with the rpm/fpm (knife marks per inch).I paid alot of money for my feeder,and at the time I wasn't sure I should have spent that much,but now that I have had it a while,I wouldn't do it any other way.

Larry Edgerton
03-26-2014, 4:14 PM
I assumed that the Vario feeders were Reeves drive but have not been able to find a shot of the inside. I must have assumed wrong, not the first time. They are only about $300 more than the comparable 8 speed but about $700 less than the Comatic EZ series, and although I do like that setup on the EZ'sI have read no feedback on them at all. Not many places seem to be carrying the EZ series. I do like how EZ the Comatic switches from vertical to horizontal.

I have a couple of feeders now but they are getting tired, so before they break and become useless I am looking around. I like the variable feed feature as I like to work in "Defects" that are interesting and it would be nice too be able to slow the feeder down just before these bits of character go through the shaper, then run it back up to speed for the straight grain sections. The reason I ask about shift on the fly.

The Wegona is the Comatic EZ.

Thanks for the replys, Larry

David Kumm
03-26-2014, 4:26 PM
Comatic makes most everyone's feeders now. I think the Wegoma go through an extra step of finish but just guessing based on appearance. Steff are only partially Italian. for used I like the green Steff, Univer, Elu, and Holz Her ( made by Pertici who makes Univer ). Dave