PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 121 oscillating spindle sander drums

Frank Martin
03-26-2014, 1:37 AM
I have one of these that I purchased years ago and would like to get different sized drums, but realize the tool is discontinued and seems like the drums are not even available through ereplacementparts.com. Any idea where I may be able to source some? Quick google search did not yield a source.

Rick Potter
03-26-2014, 3:01 AM
Could the drums from the Delta OSS perhaps fit? It has, I think, a half inch shaft which all the drums went on. You might find some of those.

I just went out in the shop and looked. I had a whole extra set, but I guess I let it go with the Delta OSS when I sold it.

Rick Potter

Frank Martin
03-26-2014, 11:26 PM
Rick, great idea! The sander I have indeed has a 1/2 in shaft. The drum length needed is 4.5 inches. I need to check the length on the Delta OSS to see if it works.

Thanks

Rick Potter
03-27-2014, 2:13 AM
That is the right length, pretty sure.

RP

Frank Martin
03-27-2014, 3:26 AM
I confirmed the length to be the same, but could not confirm the shaft diameter. I may need to call to ask unless someone here can confirm that it is indeed 1/2 inch.

Doug Ladendorf
03-27-2014, 7:14 AM
Might be tough to get Delta parts right now. I believe that is a common size and may be used in OSS's by Ridgid, Craftsman, Ryobi etc.

Dave Richards
03-27-2014, 7:53 AM
I'll try to remember to measure mine when I get home from work if you still need the numbers.

You might check with Klinspor and see if they have drums to fit.

It's too bad they discontinued that sander. I like mine a lot. I have it mounted to an aluminum plate made by Woodpeckers to fit in my router table. I use it in the router table more than I use a router in the table. It's nice for big projects to be able to take the sander in hand, though.

Dave Paine
03-27-2014, 9:20 AM
Rick, great idea! The sander I have indeed has a 1/2 in shaft. The drum length needed is 4.5 inches. I need to check the length on the Delta OSS to see if it works.

Thanks

This is a common size for many spindle sanders. I have a Grizzly OSS and it uses drums of this size.

Try calling Grizzly for the drum parts. Part Nos 4-1 through 4-6 in this link.

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/partslists/g0538_pl.pdf

Frank Martin
03-27-2014, 2:21 PM
With the input from you all I looked into other brands for drums and found one option available on Amazon. There is an actual review that even confirms that the drums fit the PC 121 sander:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NBBAKG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AJVD03PRD8VF4

While checking that out, I also found that there is a Woodhaven plate made specifically for this sander and will order that too, before that one becomes obsolete as well:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LU38J2/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2PM1IA2LE1QET

Thanks again to all for the ideas and suggestions!

Chris Padilla
03-27-2014, 4:10 PM
It's too bad they discontinued that sander. I like mine a lot. I have it mounted to an aluminum plate made by Woodpeckers to fit in my router table. I use it in the router table more than I use a router in the table. It's nice for big projects to be able to take the sander in hand, though.

I have the exact same setup and it works great!

Doug Ladendorf
03-27-2014, 4:23 PM
Looks good. Add a foot pedal and you will be rockin'. :cool:

Rick Potter
03-28-2014, 2:13 AM
You know, that sander is one thing I have never seen on CL. Wonder why.

Rick P