PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw wheel shimming

Tyler Keniston
03-25-2014, 11:02 PM
Hi all.

So I've been restoring a Powermatic 140 14" bandsaw and have come to the point of putting the wheels into plane. The on-line literature I've read repeatedly refers to shimming one wheel or the other. In my case, the lower wheel can be moved on the shaft and is secured in place with an allen head set screw. What I don't get is where the shim comes in (if at all). Here is a pic of the lower wheel before I took it apart.

If you can see, there is a gap between the bearing and the wheel hub. I figure I can make this gap smaller or larger (move the wheel in or out) in order to put the wheel in plane with the upper wheel. Is there supposed to be shims filling that gap? If so what are their purpose? Would they press up against the inner race of that bearing? If this is so, I assume it would be important for the shims to be small enough to ONLY touch the inner race and not the seals...

Any help is appreciated.

Phil Thien
03-25-2014, 11:08 PM
No, you don't need any shims for that model, you adjust the lower wheel alignment and snug the screw and you're done.

Tyler Keniston
03-26-2014, 11:34 AM
great. Makes things simple. Thanks