PDA

View Full Version : What is an Agazzani band saw worth?

Rick Potter
03-25-2014, 8:09 PM
What should I pay for an almost new 18" 240V single phase 2.5 HP Agazzani bandsaw???

Rick Potter

Rich Riddle
03-25-2014, 8:26 PM
Rick,

I pay 5o% to 75% if in great condition. Eagle Tools can offer an idea of current pricing.

Loren Woirhaye
03-25-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm thinking the guy might sell at $1800. Nice saw. I've seen bigger ones for less; they start to become hard to get rid of for sellers as the wheel sizes creep up.

I tried out a 20" Davis and Wells band saw recently and it was a sweet saw. The patternmaker selling it said it was designed by a patternmaker and it shows. I bought a jointer from him and he showed me some other stuff just for fun. I was impressed with the saw. It ran significantly smoother than my old 20" Delta/Crescent steel frame saw.

Frank Martin
03-25-2014, 11:20 PM
Few months ago there was one listed for $1200 on Craigslist that appeared basically new but from mid 90s. Just a reference point.

Rick Potter
03-26-2014, 2:39 AM
Further thought on it reminds me that what I would like is a smooth heavy saw, but I will use it for everything, and do not resaw much at all. It dawned on me I don't really want one with a low, resaw type table, I like them high. I have been looking at Delta/Rockwell 20" saws, which seem to have a higher table. Nicer single phase ones seem to go for $1000 to 1400.

Are they any good?

I currently have a 14" Delta that works fine, but I cannot really adjust the guides very accurately, as whenever I raise or lower the guides, the rod moves sideways a bit. No adjustment that I can find. I also have a 40 year old one that does the same thing.

Rick P

Loren Woirhaye
03-26-2014, 2:59 AM
My Delta/Crescent would shimmy when the switch was flipped off. It probably shimmied on startup too but I don't remember. There may have been something off about it somewhere. When the blade was at speed it cut acceptably. I would run a 1" blade on it (having a smaller saw for curves) and as I recall the upper guides didn't require much fussing at different heights, though I didn't set them especially tight. I used hardwood blocks as that's what it came with. Adjustment required an allen wrench which was annoying. I suppose I could have figured a way to make thumb screws fit. That said, a 1" blade doesn't need nearly the help to cut straight a 1/4" blade does.

Band saws are simple machines. Heavier ones tend to run smoother, assuming they are adequately well-made, which most heavier ones were in the old days. The Italian style frames save weight and the expense of big steel cabinets or cast iron frames. Assuming I had the space to park a machine I couldn't easily move, I'd go with a big vintage saw. As it is, I don't have the space and I'm doing ok with a used INCA 710 and a used Hitachi for resawing, which I don't do often up to now.

I'm not totally sure "smooth running" is the same as smooth cutting. Low vibration makes for pleasant use but I'm not convinced the cut is much better in a heavier cast iron saw vs. a newer welded frame one, assuming we're talking about band saws in the 18" and bigger class.

Jeff Duncan
03-26-2014, 4:13 PM
I run a late model Delta 20" and it's a pretty good saw. Runs smooth and with a good blade can re-saw fairly good as well. I wouldn't want to pay much over $1k for one as they're not as refined as the Italian saws seem to be. But for a stout general purpose saw I don't have any real complaints.

good luck,
JeffD

Rick Potter
03-27-2014, 2:21 AM
Thanx guys,

Gonna keep looking around. I am in absolutely no rush. There is a diamond out there somewhere.

Rick P

Mike Heidrick
03-27-2014, 8:54 AM
Agazzani is in the diamond catetgory IMO.

Jeff Duncan
03-27-2014, 10:09 AM
I'd take a Bauerle over the Agazzani….but going to be a lot harder to find on this side of the pond!…..maybe more comparable to a pink diamond:D

Jeffd

Nick Christensen
03-27-2014, 3:49 PM
I just bought a B18 (2001 model) for $1500 The guys at Eagle tools told me it was a hell of a deal. This saw is not even in the same class as the delta's, it is far above and beyond. This thing is hand built in Italy it is like a Ferrari the delta's and that range of saw are like toyota's sure they work and will get you where you need to go but not as well fast and nicely.

Rick Potter
03-28-2014, 2:14 AM
What I meant to say is...a diamond that fits my needs and budget. :)

Rick P

Herr Dalbergia
03-28-2014, 8:25 AM
No, that is not a ferrari, that is a solid Fiat. If you want Ferrari, you have to go to Bäuerle, Hema, Kölle, Schneider, Pehaka.....

Cheers, Alex

David Kumm
03-28-2014, 10:13 AM
No, that is not a ferrari, that is a solid Fiat. If you want Ferrari, you have to go to Bäuerle, Hema, Kölle, Schneider, Pehaka.....

Cheers, Alex

Exactly. Aggi is - or was - very good but close to ACM and Centauro. Dave

Rich Riddle
03-28-2014, 1:51 PM
Exactly. Aggi is - or was - very good but close to ACM and Centauro. Dave
Dave,

To many of us those machines are as close as we can afford to get to a Ferrari....so let the brother's bask in ignorance. Thanks for all the help you rendered on helping me find the 24" Aggi in the garage.

Frank Martin
03-28-2014, 4:28 PM

Cheers, Alex

If we are calling Delta a Toyota, calling Agazzani a Fiat is perhaps a little unfair:)

Jim Matthews
03-28-2014, 4:54 PM
Check which guides are supplied.

My Centauro made MM20 had the original guides that either
dragged the saw off line, of didn't guide at all.

The retrofit was VERY expensive.

If it's serviceable and delivered, $1800 isn't a bad price.
If you have to move it, subtract time and materials.

I used piano movers to get mine out of the first owner's shop and onto a shipping pallet.

If you've got a good piano mover in your neighborhood, this is an easy job for them.

David Kumm
03-28-2014, 5:01 PM
Dave,

To many of us those machines are as close as we can afford to get to a Ferrari....so let the brother's bask in ignorance. Thanks for all the help you rendered on helping me find the 24" Aggi in the garage.

I'm way more partial to the 24" than the 18". I would not consider them to be in the same catagory, Having said that I think 1200-1400 is full price but I just sold an ACM 18" for 1000 so take it for what it is worth. Dave