PDA

View Full Version : English Walnut Mandala

Doug Reesor
03-25-2014, 6:26 PM
I have been experimenting with wood burning and designing Celtic inspired patterns. I like the looks of a 9 point star and came up with this pattern for a wall hanging. My wife decided this one is a keeper. It's 15" diameter with Carduba Wax/beal polish for finish.

Bill Hensley
03-25-2014, 6:48 PM
I don't blame her, I'd want to keep it too. Very well done!

Harry Robinette
03-25-2014, 8:54 PM
Very nice work.Oh ya are you blind or crazy yet.

Tom Sherman
03-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Very cool, can't imagine the work that went into it but very cool.

Brian Tymchak
03-27-2014, 7:44 AM
Wow! that's great! I'm curious - how much time do you have in that project?

Thom Sturgill
03-27-2014, 12:23 PM
I am also a fan of celtic knot work. Well done, a few minor bobbles, but they just show that it was hand done IMHO.

Doug Reesor
03-27-2014, 5:26 PM
The turning and burning took about 6 hours (mostly the burning). The original design work took a couple of hours but once its done I can re-use it.

Thom Sturgill
03-28-2014, 5:57 AM
One book I read on Celtic knot work said that Celtic patterns are notable not for what is there, but rather for what is not there. Play with the design (on paper) by removing say three of the inner points or outer points. You might find an interesting variant for your next piece (and I'm sure there will be one :D).

Doug Reesor
03-28-2014, 7:22 AM
Thanks for the advice. This is actually the 4th design I made. The first 3 were less complicated. I have been laying them out on circular graph paper in each section and going the paper piece together for a view of what they look like before I burn them on the wood.

Brian Tymchak
03-28-2014, 8:42 AM
The turning and burning took about 6 hours (mostly the burning). The original design work took a couple of hours but once its done I can re-use it.

Wow! I would have guessed quite a bit more time to do that amount of burning. Excellent!