PDA

View Full Version : Volcano Platter

Jim Ketron
06-21-2005, 4:57 PM
This One is just roughed out but I had to take some pictures of it. Its Curly Box Elder with red flame. after I got it shaped and looked at it for a min it was evident of what it looked Like. cant wait to finish this one I think some oil will bring out all the curl and pop the grain nicely.

Bill Stevener
06-21-2005, 5:02 PM
One very OUTSTANDING pc of wood. Take your time with the finish and you will have a grand prize winner at any show. One in a million!

Bill.>>>>>>>>>:)

Just had to ps this in, -- Now you are not going to tell me that you used your new Captive Hollowing Rig on that, are you ??????

Carole Valentine
06-21-2005, 5:10 PM
What a fantastic piece of wood (and superb use of it!) I have found that oil darkens the BE quite a bit. That is so georgous that you might even think about laquer.

Fred Ray
06-21-2005, 5:16 PM
Beautiful piece of wood, Jim. And an equally great job of turning it. Too bad that "lava flow" down the left side wasn't red.

Ernie Nyvall
06-21-2005, 6:00 PM
That is a nice find Jim and the platter certainly the best form for it. Please post a picture once finished.

Ernie

John Hart
06-21-2005, 6:14 PM
I am so jealous. Can't to see it finished Jim.

John Miliunas
06-21-2005, 6:25 PM
Extraordinary, Jim! :) What a find and you're doing it justice! Yes, definitely an award winner. I agree with Carole; Finish it up, oil the begeesus out of it, let it cure and hit it with some lacquer (satin or semi-g). Like Bill says, take your time with the finish on that piece! Once done, pictures from every conceivable angle will be necessary for us, you know!:D :cool:

Don Baer
06-21-2005, 6:48 PM
WOW... that is one nice piece
You guys and gals are such an inspiration to me. I guess I need to get off my duff, finish the tool post for my Metal lathe, go down and get a starter set of tools and just start making some chips. I was hoping that the local WW store would have a class on turning but alas no such luck. One can only read so many books then it's time to take the plunge.
I have already learned a lot from just reading posts here. I hope that some time in the near future I can show something at least 1/10th as nice as that.

Gary Max
06-21-2005, 7:24 PM
That is just to neat-----It is always great to find out what Mother Nature has hidden in the wood.

John Miliunas
06-21-2005, 7:31 PM
WOW... that is one nice piece
You guys and gals are such an inspiration to me. I guess I need to get off my duff, finish the tool post for my Metal lathe, go down and get a starter set of tools and just start making some chips. I was hoping that the local WW store would have a class on turning but alas no such luck. One can only read so many books then it's time to take the plunge.
I have already learned a lot from just reading posts here. I hope that some time in the near future I can show something at least 1/10th as nice as that.

Don, books are great, but you're right about the "up close and personal" approach. BUT, all is not lost. Besides books, video's are a great source and there are numerous ones out there. One of the best around right now has been authored by our very own, Bill Grumbine! He's got an awesome DVD out on turning bowls and he goes from start to finish with the entire process! Highly recomend it! Just do a member search for Bill and follow out to his web site, where you can order it. There are a LOT of members here who have the video and it's been praised by experienced turners and novices alike!:) :cool:

Michael Stafford
06-21-2005, 7:38 PM
Jimbo, that is one outstanding piece of wood and the guy turning it ain't so bad himself. I know you are nursing that baby through the alcohol and then turning it nice and easy... You will do a great job on it! ;) :)

Steve Rowe
06-21-2005, 9:18 PM
Jim, lets see if I can find an adjective that hasn't already been used - EXTRAORDINARY! Looks great.

Steve Rowe
06-21-2005, 9:27 PM
I was hoping that the local WW store would have a class on turning but alas no such luck. One can only read so many books then it's time to take the plunge.
Don, you may want to check and see if there is a local AAW chapter in your area. Our chapter just started in January and has grown to over 50 members. Demos and presentations are on the menu every meeting. There are also a number of woodworking schools around that offer turning classes. Sunday, my wife and I are leaving to take a week long turning class from Richard Raffin.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-22-2005, 8:02 AM
Wow Jim, that is for sure a prize winner! It sure looks great... Many you are producing some stunning work!

Ed Scolforo
06-22-2005, 9:30 AM
JIm: What more can I add? That's one BEAUTIFUL piece of wood. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Ed

Jim Becker
06-22-2005, 9:45 AM
"Ching ching" That one should sell for a bundle if you decide to sell it! GREAT piece of wood and an outstanding platter.

John Shuk
06-23-2005, 9:13 PM
Jim,
The platter is awesome.
John

Aaron Koehl
06-24-2005, 9:04 AM
This One is just roughed out but I had to take some pictures of it. Its Curly Box Elder with red flame. after I got it shaped and looked at it for a min it was evident of what it looked Like. cant wait to finish this one I think some oil will bring out all the curl and pop the grain nicely.

That really looks like a mountain range with a slightly lighted red skyline. Awesome.