PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with adhesive choice

Wayne Fuder
03-25-2014, 12:21 PM
I am in the process of installing some homemade base cabinets in my farm shop for occasional cooking purposes that are ten feet in length. There is a double sink on one end and a dishwasher next to it and the rest is storage. I have the top of the cabinets covered with 3/4" plywood and am going to put a sheet of 16 guage stainless steel over the ply and up for a back splash. I feel the sink will hold one end of the SS in place, but need some type of adhesive for the rest of the top. My local lumber yards have all kinds of ideas, but give me the impression that they are merely guessing about what will be a good practical choice. What ideas can you people suggest? Someone here has probably had experience with a similar situation in the past.

Jak Kelly
03-25-2014, 1:23 PM
One of the company's I use to work for had a caulk product made by Silka (maybe Silka Flex). We would use it on our inner-locking wall panels, then tek screwed together. After a 24 hour dry time you could remove the tek screws and it took a torch to heat up the panels if you wanted to take them back apart.
I would say almost any grade or type of caulk should or would work in your application, but anymore it seems as though those products from the home improvement stores are not as good as they once were. You can buy it from a company called Dynamic Fastener.

Ellen Benkin
03-25-2014, 1:32 PM
I don't know where you are but most restaurants deal with someone who can fabricate and install stainless steel counters or serving areas. Check with them to find out what kind of adhesive they use to affix the stainless to a base cabinet. If you are anywhere near Los Angeles I can refer you to someone here.

Tom M King
03-25-2014, 3:21 PM
You can find Sikka Construction Adhesive in Home Depot. Some keep it where all the caulking is, and if it's not there, others keep it over where the concrete products are. I've never seen anything it won't stick to. Just hope you don't need to get it back apart. Don't get it on any clothes you like.