PDA

View Full Version : weekend prototype build, and a few questions....

Justin Jump
03-25-2014, 12:03 PM
Hello all,

Just some pics of my weekend prototype build for my future kitchen project.

Shaker style door and face frame mock up, to show the wife.

I used the Freud shaker bit set, 1/4" plywood inset (though I may change over to reversed raised panel inset).

I watched a video one of the members here recommended, and changed the rails and stiles to 2 7/16". With a 7/16" tenon, makes calculating the rails very easy.

The door is poplar, the face frame is soft maple at 1.5" wide.

My few questions.....

As you can see from the third pic, I am getting some burning on the soft maple. Originally thought fence alignment, but this was checked and OK. Could it be my blade? I am using a 60 rip blade, read somewhere for soft maple, I should drop to 24t.

Tear out - I posted a question about this a few days ago. New blades and a bit more detail in alignment help alot, but I still get some random tear out on the maple. Since these will be paint grade, should I accept a small amount and sand and fill, or plan the tear out to be on back sides where it's less visible?

Which leads me to back to the slight burning, since these are painted, should I just hit the burns real quick with sand paper, or not bother?

Last question - the soft maple I got was suppose to be kiln dried, but during ripping, I still had some bow and pinch. Any tips here? Should I cut 1/16" over and joint individual pieces? Since these will be painted, I dont want to have to fight the dark assembly line I may get when putting two cabinets together.

John Bomment
03-25-2014, 2:19 PM
Which leads me to back to the slight burning, since these are painted, should I just hit the burns real quick with sand paper, or not bother?

I would,
For me I rip the stock about 3/32" wider than needed then stack 3 or 4 together and run thru the planer on both edges to clean up the cut and get final width,then cut to length.
Just ran some 8' sticks thru the planer this morning to get them to 1 1/2".