PDA

View Full Version : Makita angle grinders

Andrei Georgescu
03-25-2014, 7:52 AM
I've decided I need an angle grinder for cutting some 15 - 30 mm iron bars. After seeing a review on youtube of Makita vs Bosch grinders I think it will be a Makita.

We don't have the exact models in Europe as in the US but the equivalents would be

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=9557PB
and
http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=9557PB

The first is about 100 USD and the second about 180 USD in our stores.
Should I buy the small or the bigger one?
I have no experience in grinders but I'm expecting to use one pretty often in my workshop on building various reinforced advertising panels.

Rich Engelhardt
03-25-2014, 8:22 AM
I've been using this one for about three years:

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinders-buffers/4-12-angle-grinder-60625.html

A bigger one will probably cut faster and a smaller one will probably get into tighter places.
I like the 4.5" one I have since it gets into some tight places.

I mostly use mine for cutting off toilet bolts that have become too corroded to remove with a wrench.

BTW - your links go to the same tool.

Andrei Georgescu
03-25-2014, 8:29 AM
Ugh. Sorry about that
http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=GA7020

Thanks for the reply.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-25-2014, 8:47 AM
Makita makes good grinders, pretty much the standard by which others are judged.

Jak Kelly
03-25-2014, 8:52 AM
One of the primary reasons I have never purchased Bosch tools are the "horror" story's related to warranty or getting parts, if it breaks.
I would have thought that a European resident would have better luck? Otherwise I would have owned several of their tools over the years.
I have had issues with Makita and getting parts for their tools as well, not so much getting the part but they sure do seem proud of any repair parts they sale.
Anymore I just stick with Dewalt, they have a service center 4 miles or less from my house. Anytime I go in there with a tool in need of repair the desk clerk flips the tool around to see if it is "under warranty", which they can tell by the serial number, and I have seen several instances where a tool might be less than 30 days out of warranty and they fix or replace it anyway. They do the same with their battery's to!
Metabo makes some industrial grade grinders, not cheap either, but very good quality!

Steve Friedman
03-25-2014, 8:58 AM
Not sure if it matters to you, but the larger one is almost 3 times heavier than the smaller one. I have never used the larger one, but have the smaller one and it is a great tool. Very easy to handle and very versatile because there are so many different kinds of discs available for it.

Steve

John Downey
03-25-2014, 9:27 AM
Get the 4 1/2" over the 7", definitely. The smaller one is easily up to your task and is much easier to manage in use. I use them one handed all the time for stuff like you describe - a 7" grinder is way too big for that convenience.

Ed Labadie
03-25-2014, 9:40 AM
One word.....Metabo.

One has to do their homework when purchasing, they have many variations of each model.

Ed

John Schweikert
03-25-2014, 9:53 AM
Getting parts for Makita and Bosch is quite easy through many websites and also Bosch's own parts website. I've done it for both brands with no issues. If anything I see Bosch upping their game with power tools to compete head to head here in the USA. Makita makes solid tools. All the Dewalts I own have been great but no better than the many Makita and Bosch tools I have. I own tools of many brands, they all work fine, some just have more finesse in design and comfort in use. Never heard any Bosch warranty "horror" stories.

One of the primary reasons I have never purchased Bosch tools are the "horror" story's related to warranty or getting parts, if it breaks.
I would have thought that a European resident would have better luck? Otherwise I would have owned several of their tools over the years.
I have had issues with Makita and getting parts for their tools as well, not so much getting the part but they sure do seem proud of any repair parts they sale.
Anymore I just stick with Dewalt, they have a service center 4 miles or less from my house. Anytime I go in there with a tool in need of repair the desk clerk flips the tool around to see if it is "under warranty", which they can tell by the serial number, and I have seen several instances where a tool might be less than 30 days out of warranty and they fix or replace it anyway. They do the same with their battery's to!
Metabo makes some industrial grade grinders, not cheap either, but very good quality!

Jak Kelly
03-25-2014, 9:57 AM
One word.....Metabo.

One has to do their homework when purchasing, they have many variations of each model.

Ed
I have often been told that Metabo is kind of like Leupold, that once you buy just one you will never buy anything else!
Have also been told that their grinders is one area where they really shine above the rest.

John Schweikert
03-25-2014, 9:59 AM
I have the Makita 9565 5" 12amp and it works great. I think you'll be just fine with the 9557.

Andrei Georgescu
03-25-2014, 11:59 AM
This is my main reason for choosing Makita over Bosch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuwSnihXcBU

I usually do some research before choosing a brand, in this case I chose Makita. For my middle priced jigsaw it was a Bosch and I've got my eyes on a Dewalt circular saw. About every tool one would need is more expensive in the EU than in the US, for me it should be all about matching the price to the quality of the product.

It will be the smaller grinder for me but now it's

http://www.makitatools.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?Name=9565CV

vs

http://www.metabo.com/Product-catalogue-handheld-powertools.24048+M5be4ed719d7.0.html

The thing about Makita is that from what I've heard all of them have that aluminum gear housing and the ball bearing on the shaft. This 9565CV a bit heavier than the Metabo WE 14-125 and a little less powerful from what it says on the specs. The Makita is also a bit more expensive but both tools are more powerful than the small one I initially thought about.

Peter Kelly
03-25-2014, 12:12 PM
I've got this one from Metabo and like it a lot: http://www.metabo.com/Product-catalogue-handheld-powertools.24048+M570c4e58b99.0.html

Ed Labadie
03-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Andrei,

I've got the W8-115 Metabo and it's a monster. There is no comparison between it and my 2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinders. My purchase was based on the need for a grinder with a "lock on" switch, rather than the paddle type.

The only thing that might bother some people is the body of the Metabo is large, someone with small hands should handle one before purchase.

Looking back, I should have bought the larger 125mm one just for the ability to use either 115 or 125 dia discs.

Ed

Steve Rozmiarek
03-25-2014, 2:29 PM
I have often been told that Metabo is kind of like Leupold, that once you buy just one you will never buy anything else!
Have also been told that their grinders is one area where they really shine above the rest.

Yeah, until you try Swarovski, then things change again...

Andrei Georgescu
03-25-2014, 2:30 PM
I wonder how does the tool-free disk change system of Metabo compare to a standard disk change system of other manufacturers. It looks dead easy to use but is it as safe as any?

Tom M King
03-25-2014, 3:16 PM
Depending on how many of those pieces you have to cut, it might not be necessary to buy an expensive one. I have several good ones-I like the Makita, but I have a bunch of the cheap 29 dollar ones from Walmart-Skil or Black and Decker.

I started using them as disposables for cutting flashing grooves in stone foundations for my waterproofing old foundation systems. It was going to be a too abrasive environment to put a good one in, and they lasted a lot longer than I expected. I ended up putting dedicated ones in the different shops on our farm. For instance, I have one just to sharpen bushog blades in the tractor shed, so I don't have to get one of the others out of the trailer or one of the shops.

The thin cutoff blades sold in Lowes and Home Depot will do your cutting just fine. I even use one of those blades to sharpen the teeth on holesaws since I can't get a file at the right angle.

A cheap toolbox to keep the grinder, spanner wrench, and different disks in is well worth a few bucks to keep it all quickly accessible.

For rough or dirty cutting, I'd get one of these even if you have a good one for other purposes.

Loren Woirhaye
03-25-2014, 5:04 PM
People say Metabo is the best. In Europe they may not be that much more money than Makita or Bosch. Over here in the states Metabo is a bit pricey but for the grinders the quality is said to be excellent. Angle grinders have these gears that have to turn a corner and the gears are a point of failure.

Kevin Stricker
03-26-2014, 12:26 AM
My last two angle grinders have been Makita's, but I have a lot of experience with Milwaukee, DeWalt, and Metabo. I bought a second Makita because it is easy to grip one handed even with large welding gloves. The Metabo (and Fein) are a whole different animal in terms of quality but much more expensive here in the states.

I agree with the above recommendation for the 4.5"vs 7" grinder. A 7" is an excellent tool if you have a lot of grinding to do, but a 4.5" is much more versatile.

As as for paddle vs switch, after watching a iron worker shave off part of his lip and nose with a wire wheel in a split second I think any and all safety precautions when grinding should be observed.

Benjamin Miller
03-26-2014, 1:11 AM
If you're just doing hobbiest work cutting some occasional steel, I'd buy a cheap one and save my money for a tool I'd use more frequently.

I have a bunch of $40 Hitachi grinders and they all work fine for most tasks, especially cutting with a cutoff wheel. I keep one with a cutoff wheel, one with a grinding wheel, one for each grit of flap disc, and one with a wire cup brush. The wire brush is really the only application that could use more power.

I also have a 7", 15 amp grinder that I call "the widowmaker". That sucker comes out rarely and is usually attached to a twisted cup wheel -- very dangerous, but very effective.

Andrei Georgescu
03-26-2014, 5:25 AM
I saw them today at the local store. Both Makita and Metabo are at the same exact price. You guys were right, the Metabo is a bit chunkier while the other one is easier to grip. They also differ in two other aspects: the Makita has a bigger handle which I like better and has superior RPM - 11 000 vs 7000 of the Metabo. I've asked the man to keep one Makita for me a couple of days, I think that will be my final choice.
I'm also glad I found them locally at a good price, I was beginning to feel sorry for the local guys. I saw several other tools in their shop only to buy them later online at a better price.

Ed Labadie
03-26-2014, 9:25 AM
Take a look at the Metabo W 720-125, it's a 10,000 rpm unit.....like I said, many variations in the lineup.

http://www.metabo.com/Product-catalogue-handheld-powertools.24048+M539248dd6ed.0.html

Ed

Matt Meiser
03-26-2014, 9:34 AM
I have a Harbor Freight special or two, a high power Dewalt, and the one that uses my Milwaukee M18 batteries. All run a cutoff disc or flap disc just as well. The Dewalt is better for heavy grinding or running a wire brush. The battery powered one is real handy for something quick or something I want to do outside but doesn't last long enough for constant use. The beauty of the HF ones is that you can afford to buy one for each type of disc and not have to swap discs all the time. Surely there are cheap ones available there.

Andrei Georgescu
03-28-2014, 12:24 PM
I ended up buying the Makita 9565cv.
Spent an hour or so watching videos and reading about angle grinder safety.
It's time to cut those iron bars and weld that security grids for my shop.
Thanks guys!