PDA

View Full Version : stanley plane chip breaker screw

Clay Fails
03-24-2014, 8:42 PM
I purchased a replacement blade (IBC) for my vintage #7 plane, and the chip breaker screw is not long enough for the thicker blade.

Does anyone know where I can get a longer screw?

thanks

David Weaver
03-24-2014, 11:05 PM
I'm not sure where you can get the screw without robbing a cap iron that was intended for thick irons (that's what I've done in the past, anyway).

I've discarded all of those thick irons, though. Was the iron that came with the plane bad?

Jim Koepke
03-25-2014, 2:32 AM
I purchased a replacement blade (IBC) for my vintage #7 plane, and the chip breaker screw is not long enough for the thicker blade.

Does anyone know where I can get a longer screw?

thanks

My recollection is the IBC blades are thick enough to make the depth adjuster unusable without their patented chip breaker.

Hock blades are not that thick yet they still cause throat choking with thicker shavings.

In other words, once you get the longer screw and then figure out how to get the depth adjuster to engage... (hint: you may need to solder/braze some tabs on to your chip breaker.) Then you may need to file the mouth wider.

I agree with David, if the original iron was working there really isn't that much magic in a new blade.

jtk