PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Corflute.

Mitchell Tutty
03-24-2014, 8:09 PM
First question is, corflute, i've read it's mainly polypropylene, so no PVC right? Don't particularly want to die testing it out.

Does anybody cut it? Success stories? Or simply don't bother, did a bit of a search on the forums, didn't find much about it.

All help is greatly appreciated!

Matt Turner (physics)
03-24-2014, 9:19 PM
Try searching for Coroplast.

Scott Shepherd
03-24-2014, 9:42 PM
Seems like I cut it years ago. If I recall correctly, it did okay. It's a little melty and the issues I had with it, if I remember correctly, was the webs take more power, so you have to overpower it a little, which can cause some burning. I think air assist is key too. I don't recall the shapes I cut, but I do remember cutting it and having some flame up because of the excess power needed to get through the ribs.

Richard Rumancik
03-25-2014, 10:28 AM
Yes, it can be cut but a bit finicky due to the flutes. If you focus on the surface it will be hottest there, but then the backside is farther away and out of focus, and not thermally connected (i.e. heat from the top face does not heat the lower face.) And as Scott noted the bits that are standing almost vertical will need more energy to cut through. If you happen to get a cut that approximately aligns with a vertical web you may get a poor cut. It is a bit of hit-and-miss (literally) to get a complete cut. Too much power will cause a lot of meltback.

If the job time permits, two passes might work, one focused on top surface and one on bottom. Play with it and see what works. I used it for making holding fixtures for very thin film, so my edge quality requirements were not critical. I had to help it out with an X-Acto but your application may not allow this as it will show.