PDA

View Full Version : blade for a stanley 112?

miguel bernardo
03-24-2014, 7:32 PM
Hi all, i´m refurbishing an old (aren´t they all?) stanley 112 that i got from fleabay without a blade. so now i´m curious at which way to go regarding the aftermarket blade? veritas A2 (thicker and tougher but maybe harder to roll a nice burr?) or an Hock carbon (cheaper, but thinner and should wear faster). or am i just overthinking this? i´ll be using the scraper plane mostly on rosewoods and ebony, FWIW.

my plane blades are all A2 (except for one PM V11 and a white steel kanna) and i really dislike sharpening them when compared to an old Sheffield or japanese steel, but i guess for hardwoods it makes sense to choose A2.

thanks!
Miguel.

bridger berdel
03-25-2014, 1:31 AM
there is a fast curve of diminishing returns with increasing the hardness of scraper blades. spring hardness is just about right.

miguel bernardo
03-25-2014, 5:52 AM
ok, thanks.

David Weaver
03-25-2014, 7:25 AM
I don't know what hock's scraper blade hardness is, but IIRC, veritas had something in mid-high spring temper for A2 and LN did, too. It has to be soft enough to roll a burr without chipping.

Locate David Charlesworth's discussion of preparing a scraper edge and making a jig to roll the burr - it's a fantastic method for a scraper that's hard enough to hold its edge for a while (and all of the harder scraper blades are). He does it in a video, but I think he also did a magazine article describing the same thing.

david charlesworth
03-25-2014, 4:04 PM
Thanks David.

I would thoroughly recommend the01 Hock blade. They are excellent and work very well in the 112. I see no need for extra thickness.

Best wishes,
David Charlesworth

miguel bernardo
03-25-2014, 6:21 PM
thanks David and David, Hock it is (or was, as i already ordered it). i can´t find Mr. Charlesworth´s video, but got enough hints searching an UK forum.

best,
Miguel.

david charlesworth
03-26-2014, 3:39 AM
My 6th DVD available from L-N or me, covers 112 use and blade preparation, as well as a number of other techniques ! It is long.

Best wishes,
David

miguel bernardo
03-26-2014, 8:04 AM
i´m aware of that David. TBH i was considering the book instead (number two, right?) - somehow i get more feedback out of reading than watching a DVD.

Daniel Hartmann
03-26-2014, 10:45 AM
The hock blades are fantastic. I much prefer them over the lee valley A2 blades

david charlesworth
03-26-2014, 1:15 PM
Miguel,

Yes, No. 2. Unfortunately my publishers have "lost" the wherewithal to print any more, so second hand might be the best bet.

I just enjoyed the opportunity of mentioning the DVD !

Best wishes,
David

mike holden
03-26-2014, 1:24 PM
David,
could you please give us the title of your sixth dvd? Lie-Nielsen does not have them numbered.
Thanks,
Mike

David Weaver
03-26-2014, 1:32 PM
http://www.lie-nielsen.com/dvds/furniture-making-techniques-five-topics/

Of course, I'm not stumping for LN - find it from any retailer (craftsmanstudio ships free). it is an enormously long DVD as David says, and is sort of a catch-all for various things.

For those individuals who have ever purchased a scraper and tried to get the burr to sit at a certain angle by finesse, the setup that's presented in it makes getting the angle perfect a guaranteed process, and the quality of the burr allows a scraper to get a finish almost as nice as a plane.

I'm also, of course, not affiliated with David, but will take the opportunity to point out things like this that provide excellent results and keep you using tools instead of fiddling with them.

david charlesworth
03-27-2014, 3:18 AM
Mike,

It is called "Five Topics" 188 minutes.

Back bevels and scraper planes for difficult timber & veneer. Decorative bevels, planing round corners (such as rail/stile intersections). Using and tuning shoulder planes.

It is the best produced of my 6 DVDs.

Currently working on "The Secret Mitre Dovetail", which is filmed in my workshop in England.

Best wishes,
David

mike holden
03-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Thank you, dvd is ordered.
Mike