PDA

View Full Version : A least one clerk at Home Depot has the right attitude

Frank Pellow
06-21-2005, 3:40 PM
I am restoring my daughters old garden shed and, as part of that restoration, I need to repair some window panes. When I was at Home Depot this morning, I decided to pick up some putty for the job. I couldn't find any, so I asked a clerk. She said "We don't stock putty. It seems that we don't stock much that requires old-time skills. You can can putty at xxx which is located at yyy." It so happens that xxx at yyy was on my way home, so I bought some.

Jeff Sudmeier
06-21-2005, 3:58 PM
I have always said that it makes a company look very good if they direct their customers to another, if they are not able to serve them. Now how that affects my decision to return depends on my liking of the "new" store :)

Lynn Sonier
06-21-2005, 4:37 PM
Until June 6, the closest Home Depot or Lowe's was about 20 miles away. A Lowe's opened up here in Thibodaux, La. and I have been in there quite a bit - a little buying and a lot of looky-looking. It sure is nice to have the place in town when you need an item or two. When I exit after being in there a while, its a shock to realize I'm still in my hometown.

Paul Canaris
06-21-2005, 4:45 PM
Home Depot seems and by way of extension so do we, when a down turn in the economy occurs. I recall a while back, when such a down turn occurred, that a lot of knowledgeable tradesman were taking work at HD to supplement their incomes. You could actually get answers that meant something at that time. Lately it seems to be career HD personnel who don’t know a whole lot more than me, and that’s scary.

James Mudler
06-21-2005, 5:05 PM
I workout with the manager of HD and he always tries to hire from the trades and it shows. The regualrs in the various departments know their stuff. Cashiers and "loaders" are good people but not the pros.

Per Swenson
06-21-2005, 5:40 PM
Hello everyone,

In 1980 or so I had the opportunity to work in the home center business

for a NJ based company called Channel Home centers. This was about the

time HD was flourishing in Atlanta. At the time I took note of them

in the home center trade magazines. Channels response then,

"They will never fly around here." In the late 80s when they did fly in

and channel was just a memory, you could get a job there for $10 to $15

a hour. Only if you where a tradesman or had 10 years hardware or lumber

yard experience. They wanted experts, they got em at far above market

scale. It was a pleasure to shop there. Not anymore. They have market

share and they will now hire anybody. Sad.

Per

Don Baer
06-21-2005, 6:03 PM
My youngest son works for Lowe's in the Mill works. He was raised around wood workers his Grandpa and his Dad both taught him a lot that he was able to bring to the table. He also worked construuction before working at the borg. He took the job since he needed a steady income with benefits since his wife was expecting at the time and he is trying to get his teaching degree they agreed to work his hours around his school schedule.

Since he started there he has been given 3 raises and has been promoted. He is still in the mill works. I have visited him a few times and met some of his co-workers and they pride themselves on their ability to be knowlegeable in what they are offering. They often refer customers to non borg stores when they can't help the customer with what they need.

I believe that yes there are some real looser at the borg and have ran into my share but I also have ran into a few looser at some of the high priced places.

Jim Dannels
06-21-2005, 7:01 PM
As long as they are willing to try to help, I have no problem.
The guys who try to baffle me with BS, just make me grin.
There is no harm in admitting you don`t know something.
I would much rather hear " I don`t Know", but will find out than "I really don`t care". There are just as many out there that know far to much to be bothered, they are the ones that aggravate me.
I figure these guys need the job as much as I need mine, so try to keep my cool.

Frank Pellow
06-21-2005, 7:07 PM
As long as they are willing to try to help, I have no problem.
The guys who try to baffle me with BS, just make me grin.
There is no harm in admitting you don`t know something.
I would much rather hear " I don`t Know", but will find out than "I really don`t care". There are just as many out there that know far to much to be bothered, they are the ones that aggravate me.
I figure these guys need the job as much as I need mine, so try to keep my cool.
Hey, I was praising someone who knew her stuff :) , was willing to help :), and who had an "interesting" comment on Home Depot's stocking policies :). It was the last element of this that triggered me to launch the thread.

Richard Wolf
06-21-2005, 7:20 PM
Frank, I purchased some today also, it is in the paint department. I know all HD are different. Also I know Canada is different. :)

Richard

Ellen Benkin
06-21-2005, 8:28 PM
I'd be very surprised to find that HD did not have a basic product llike window putty. I think the clerk didn't know the stock.

Ray Bersch
06-21-2005, 9:00 PM
I'd be very surprised to find that HD did not have a basic product llike window putty. I think the clerk didn't know the stock.

No, she probably did know the stock - is was 100 shares of XXX company down at YYY

Jules Dominguez
06-21-2005, 9:59 PM
I live in the suburbs of Atlanta. There's a Home Depot within 5 minutes of my home and another about 15 minutes away. There are also Lowe's stores near both HD's.
I've found the HD stores to have fairly knowledgeable people, and most of them try to be helpful, regardless of how knowledgeable they are on a given subject. Yes, they have referred me to competitors' stores on several occasions. No, they're not as well-stocked or their people as knowleldgeable on hard-core woodworking subjects as those at Stone Mountain Power Tools or Highland Hardware, but I'm glad they're there for general tool, lawn equipment and home repair and remodeling supplies.

Frank Pellow
06-21-2005, 10:17 PM
She did know the stock and putty was not part of it. I know, I also found it hard to believe.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-22-2005, 1:11 AM
I found out why Frank...they are stopping the cutting of glass in all their stores. They will now only sell assembled windows. Something about a lawsuit from what I hear. Lowe's is considering the same move...reduces liability according to those who might know.

Steve Evans
06-22-2005, 7:38 AM
Frank

That's strange as I've bought putty at the HD out here in KItchener

Jim Dannels
06-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Hey, I was praising someone who knew her stuff :) , was willing to help :), and who had an "interesting" comment on Home Depot's stocking policies :). It was the last element of this that triggered me to launch the thread.

I have worked both Retail & Wholesale and merely ment that too many workers don`t get the credit they deserve. I got from the git-go that you were praising the worker for admitting she could not help you and offered an option that could.
I work part time in a Walmart on weekends in hardware. We don`t carry glasier supplies either and often send people to the Menards,or Lowes across the street or a mile down the road to Porters Hardware.
In retail managment evaluates performance in units turned per square foot.
If a product does not turn a given number of units in a given time, it does not earn it`s place in the store for re-stocking. I too find that agravating but thats business. A store may bring in an item on trial and if it does not sell quickly enough, it`s gone. Also I know Walmart stocks based on products and related items that sell in a given store, hence you may see it in one store and not in the next. Our Hardware stock is not good since there are two building centers within a block Menards & Lowes.