PDA

View Full Version : Do You Lend Out Your Tools or Let Others Use Them?

Rich Riddle
03-24-2014, 11:06 AM
A contractor working next door wanted to borrow or use a tool so that he didn't have to go get his tool. Said he had one that was the exact model I owned and knew how to properly use it. I said, "no." My days of lending out tools passed. When he did get his to the site, his was extremely abused and would barely function. Do you folks allow others to borrow your tools or use them? Why or why not?

David Weaver
03-24-2014, 11:40 AM
No. There are a few exceptions. I have a woodworking buddy who I'd loan stuff to. It would come back in better shape than I'd send it out, and he hates to borrow stuff so it's rare that he would.

Wife's friends have made various requests to borrow tools because they thought they would become remodelers in a day, but I have never loaned out anything other than a shop vac. And when I did loan the shop vac out, it came back full of their dirt. They aren't the types who would do something like that on purpose, they just didn't know the etiquette.

I now only give away tools (as in, if I have something that's not worth much and someone else actually needs it, I'll tell them to just take it. I haven't got a need to spend any time chasing around tools like a rental store).

Andrew Fleck
03-24-2014, 11:48 AM
It really depends on what type of tool and who is asking to borrow it.

If someone want to borrow a hammer I will just loan them one of my cheap framers. If they want a straightedge they can use my yardstick. The Starrett will stay in my shop.

Really at least for me the only things people ask to borrow are some yard tools once in a while. The nieghbor might ask to use a shovel or rake, but that is about it.

Brian Elfert
03-24-2014, 11:51 AM
Typically I only loan tools to my father who I know will take care of them. A friend of mine has some tools used for making rocket motors on long term loan, but I don't really care if they get broken since I won't be making motors myself any time soon.

I would never lend a tool to a contractor. An exception might be if they were working on my house and I was there.

Lee Reep
03-24-2014, 11:57 AM
I have old cast off tools in the garage (my shop is in the basement). The neighbor that borrows stuff gets those. Also, I keep a few Harbor Freight tools out there, things like angle grinders that get occasional use. He can borrow those as well. I bought a HF cordless drill once. I gave it to my sister-in-law and she seems OK with it. :)

The newer, better stuff is for me only! I'm selfish and not too concerned about it anymore. I had a neighbor return an electric edger he borrowed, and when I used it, smoke poured out of it. He had burned it up. Don't talk to him too much anymore, and neither do most of the other neighbors. :)

Mark Bolton
03-24-2014, 12:01 PM
Never, unless I have a duplicate. Being in the trade I simply tell people I dont loan the tools I earn my living with. Far too often I have loaned tools to close friends only to be abused or broken and never repaired, or never returned and then when I go looking for them they got loaned to the neighbor or someone else and are not accessible at the moment.

Several tools I have multiples of, circular saws, sawzalls, most all hand tools I have in triples or more from having employees. These tools I will consider loaning out the worst one I have but even that is rare.

Its a very bad habit to start and you will nearly always lose on the deal in my experience.

I have one of the heaviest Milwaukee sawzalls made. The think is a tank. I always said you couldnt kill the thing. In a moment of weakness several years ago I loaned it to a friend and it came back with the clutch slipping. I was completely shocked and asked how in the heck a guy not even in the trade, doing something around his house, could wipe out a tool that a crew of gorillas couldnt destroy. Turns out trying to get into a tight spot he took the shoe off the front (lever removable) and was trying to cut without the shoe so the shaking/pulling, combined with the collet slamming into the work repeatedly, did it in. We were left working with the backup sawzalls while I tore it down and ordered parts.

I had a buddy that owned a rental business for a while and if you want a good primer on what'll happen when you loan tools talk to some of the service guys at your local rental shop. The stories are unreal.

Harry Hagan
03-24-2014, 12:16 PM
NO. Not anymore. I finally learned my lesson.

David G Baker
03-24-2014, 12:27 PM
Not any more. To many bad experiences. When my 4 boys were young and reached the age where they wanted to use tools I bought them each a set of Craftsman tools so they had no reason to borrow my tools. There are a few exceptions if they need a tool I will take my tools to their place and do the work myself rather than lend them the tools.

paul cottingham
03-24-2014, 12:46 PM
I have 2 friends who are far more skilled craftsmen than I am to whom I will lend tools. I also borrow tools from them. Panel and handsaws are the exception, as one of those two friends has terrible tremors from MS, and he worries about kinking my saws. But that's it.

Mike Olson
03-24-2014, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I let my friends and close neighbors borrow my tools. Most of the tools anyone wants to borrow are those I bought for specific jobs so they rarely get used.

I believe a tool not being used is a tool being wasted.

Jim Rimmer
03-24-2014, 12:57 PM
Screwdrivers, hammers, wrenches - sometimes. Power tools - no. About 40 years ago I loaned out my circular saw, which was fairly new. I got it back with multiple nicks in the power cord, apparently from setting down the spinning blade on the cord or pulling the cord into the blade. I couldn't figure out how they did it (and they didn't even say anything about it) but I did figure out that I would never again loan a power tool.

Chuck Wintle
03-24-2014, 2:12 PM
A contractor working next door wanted to borrow or use a tool so that he didn't have to go get his tool. Said he had one that was the exact model I owned and knew how to properly use it. I said, "no." My days of lending out tools passed. When he did get his to the site, his was extremely abused and would barely function. Do you folks allow others to borrow your tools or use them? Why or why not?

My experience with loaning tools is that usually i have to run after the person the get the tool when I need to use it.

John McClanahan
03-24-2014, 2:15 PM
Over the years I've worked on improving my collection. As a result, most of my hand and handheld power tools I have more than one of. If I were to loan anything out, it would be one of my "old" tools.

John

Von Bickley
03-24-2014, 2:58 PM
I only loan tools to my son, and when I do, I go ahead and buy me a new replacement. He means well, but he is a brick mason, and when he get finished with the tool, I don't want it back.

glenn bradley
03-24-2014, 3:16 PM
This comes up now and again on the forums. My answer is no, under no conditions. Too many good intentions and differences in what constitutes appropriate use.

David Dockstader
03-24-2014, 3:20 PM
I lend them my tools if they will lend me their credit card.

Charles Wiggins
03-24-2014, 3:45 PM
It really depends on what type of tool and who is asking to borrow it.

That's basically my answer.
A contractor I don't know, working next door? No way.

A neighbor?
If it's something I can spare or have multiples or a "cheap" version like a hammer? No problem.
If it's a power tool, my services come with it.

Like others, there are a few exceptions. I have a friend through church and we will loan to each other, but we both try return the tool in better condition that we borrowed it. The first time he took a risk and loaned his tiller to me I noticed the blades were mounted backwards so I fixed that. He had no idea because he had only used it once on previously tilled soil. I also cleaned it after I used it, and returned it with a full tank of ethanol-free gas.

Jim Koepke
03-24-2014, 3:55 PM

Now that is a good idea, but my preference is for a cash deposit.

As a general rule my tools do not get loaned out. A good friend of mine was even able to mess up a screwdriver. He used it to torque an allen head bolt. Too many people will use the wrong tool for a job even if the correct tool is at hand.

I do often mention keeping junker tools for the purpose of loaning. Mostly they are used on the kinds of dirty jobs where good tools can get messy. If a neighbor ever wanted to borrow a tool it would be one of the junkers they would receive.

Too many of the "sure I know how to use it" crowd will bring back a broken tool and declare the tool was at fault, "it should have been made to... " It is just to heartbreaking to imagine a tool my father gave me or that has been in my possession for 40 or 50 years coming back mangled to carelessly loan it out.

Someone who makes a living from their tools should not be asking to barrow tools. They should be owning or renting the tools they need to make their living.

jtk

Kevin Bourque
03-24-2014, 4:57 PM
I lent my Sawzall to a guy who I was working along with . He cut the cord in half somehow.

Val Kosmider
03-24-2014, 5:16 PM
I lend rarely....

But what about borrowing?

I take exceptionally good care of my stuff--try to buy the very best, take good care of it, and expect it to last a lifetime.

People notice, and they are always saying "you can borrow my XYZ any time you wish."

Occasionally I would take them up on their offer...and things ALWAYS broke. The guard on the sawzall; the handle on the spreader. You name it; if I borrow it you can bet it will break.

So I don't borrow ANYTHING, regardless of how generous the lender.

What's the old expression: Neither a lender nor a borrower be. That works fine for me.

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2014, 5:23 PM
I have one friend that is hard on tools that I will lend to. In fact a lot of times I will just give him what he needs if I have several. If its a tool I am worried about I will just do the job for him.

Of course he lets me borrow his sawmill, his loader, his bulldozer, etc.

But by and large NO! How do you make these letters bigger?

Larry

Michael Mahan
03-24-2014, 5:59 PM
I NEVER lend out my tools ,
Even if my best friend asks , I go over & do what is needed for him 'IF' I have the time Or I just say no that I want to keep him as friend & I'm not letting a tool get between us

I would never lend a tool to a contractor. An exception might be if they were working on my house and I was there.
this is my 'Only' exception example the electrician the other day was installing a dedicated power line to my Home Theater & was gonna cut some sheet rock outta my wall with a hand sheet rock saw to open a wall due some fire blocking , I insisted he use my Rockwell Versa mini plunge saw instead as it makes a clean straight thin kerf cut that I could easily mud . He was able to cut down in middle of the studs, leaving enuff surface area of wood for me to lay a patch easily to fix the hole . If my tools can help save time on a hired contractor in my house , I'll lend :)
He called back later that week & said he bought one the next day

Larry Browning
03-24-2014, 6:10 PM
My answer is no, under no conditions.

So does this mean under no condition you will say no? Or do you really mean Yes, under no conditions? Or is it no, under all conditions? I am Sooo confused!!!!

Lee Schierer
03-24-2014, 6:30 PM
I will lend only to certain people that will respect my tools as they do their own and who will replace anything they break, which is what I do if I borrow anything from anyone. Sometimes, I even fix things that were broke or damaged even though I didn't break it or damage it. And if I buy bits, blades, or tool specific supplies they go home with the tool.

Shawn Pixley
03-24-2014, 6:32 PM
I have three filters I use.

Do I like the person and do I see a need / desire to stay on good terms?
is the tool dangerous enough that they could seriously injure theselves?
Is the tool a precision or expensive instrument?

One of my best friends (my son's godfather) borrowed a sander in order to repair some walls on his first house. He returned it. It was used hard but wasn't abused. I don't begrudge him the backing pad I had to replace. It was my gift to his house. He remains a best friend.

My next door neighbors wanted to borrow a couple saws (Wormdrive and Chainsaw). These are people who are unsafe with a knife outside the kitchen. They have been seen using a dremel tool to remodel the garage wiring with the power on in the dark. I am sure that they would have cut their legs off if I had loaned them the saws. So, "sorry, no. Here's a bowsaw." I'm sure they can manage to hurt themselves, but they likely won't take off a limb.

My precsion tools don't get loaned to anyone except my brother (a skilled craftsman himself). I have some general housekeeping tools that I will loan out (crowbar, level, stud finder, hammer, various sundry tools). The good ones stay at my house.

Plumbers, Contractors, others? Never! I lock the tools up when they come in the house.

Frederick Skelly
03-24-2014, 10:39 PM
What's the old expression: Neither a lender nor a borrower be. That works fine for me.

+1. If you borrow their stuff, you pretty much have to let them borrow yours. Like several of you, I too have been burned.
Fred

Matt Meiser
03-24-2014, 10:48 PM
There's a very, very small group I would.

Lornie McCullough
03-24-2014, 11:24 PM
I have a large circle of trusted friends to whom I will loan "anything, anytime", even using that exact phrase. I am a toolaholic, with more tools, to do any kind of work, than anybody I know. I most often have multiples of everything, so it is not a problem for me. But there are a few tools, that I loan with the admonishment to return within 12 hours. (the OBD II tester is loaned out more than it stays here; the sheet-rock lift is loaned out now; I did refuse to loan 2 roofing nailers to a friend who wanted to loan them to HIS friend to use out-of-town on a jobsite!!!!)

Lornie

Keith Westfall
03-25-2014, 12:44 AM
I have one friend that I would loan anything to, because he is a craftsman, knows good tools and takes care of his tools.

I borrow from him because he says the same about me (probably not true...) but we respect each other's stuff and know it will be taken care of.

Made the mistake of loan a "neighbour" my 8 pound sledge - came back with the handle broken out. He did bring a new handle though, wanted to know if I wanted him to put it in...?

"No thanks" I said. I would have probably had to replace it again!

No more loaning, and the wife has been instructed to do the same.

I don't have the best tools out there - but I try to look after them.

John Goodin
03-25-2014, 1:01 AM
I will lend a tool if they know how to use it. That is rare here. In suburban Austin; most think of a router as a device that is hooked to a modem.

Rick Potter
03-25-2014, 3:34 AM
Very few times, just a few people.

I loaned my RAS 30 years ago to my brother when he was building his house. The motor burned out on him, and when he brought it back it had the motor rebuilt. Three years ago I loaned him a Delta 14" band saw, and he is still using it. I was going to sell it anyway, so no rush.

My rich buddy has my nice PC pocket hole machine, and I am not worried about it at all, anybody else..........no way.

OK on the hammers and such.

Rick Potter

Chuck Wintle
03-25-2014, 6:29 AM

Cash works for me in this instance.

Jim Matthews
03-25-2014, 7:12 AM
If asked about a loaner, I give away my spare.

I won't lend anything that could cause grievous bodily harm.
My lawyer explained that this is bait in the water to the personal injury lawyers.

I live in a litigious environment and won't put assets at risk.

I had a neighbor joke that if his kid got hurt in my backyard rink, he would just collect damages.
Haven't seen him, or his boy in three years.

Rod Sheridan
03-25-2014, 9:04 AM
I will loan tools, depending upon who is asking, and what they're asking for.

Perversely I won't loan you a hammer or screwdriver, come on you should own those.

If you need to drill concrete, I'll loan you my Hilti because you shouldn't own one of those if you're going to drill 4 holes every 10 years.

Once a month I loan out my shop to a team of women who are refacing cabinets in a Co-op, they make and install a new set of doors for the kitchen cabinets.

Regards, Rod.

Phil Thien
03-25-2014, 9:38 AM
"What tools? I don't have any tools."

I'd really rather not lend tools. I have older tools that are loaners, I don't mind handing those out too much. But I like my older tools, too, so I'm even careful with those.

John Pratt
03-25-2014, 9:45 AM
I do loan out some tools; depending on the perceived skill level of the borrower. Many years ago I was in need of a hammer drill and a buddy of mine had one. I borrowed it and during the job it fell off a ladder and broke. I stopped the job, went to the store and bought him a brand new high quality hammer drill (better than the one he had). I gave it to him with the explanation and I had his old one fixed which I then kept. I would expect anyone borrowing my tools to do the same or close to it.

ken masoumi
03-25-2014, 9:55 AM
I reluctantly loan my tools,I'd like to say no but I can't,so I loan the spare tools and keep the good ones in the shop.

Dave Anderson NH
03-25-2014, 12:34 PM
I will loan out tools, but to a very very very short list of less than 10. Those on that list are as careful about their tools as I am and are dependable folks who know how to use and care for tools. Unfortunately my own son is not on the approved list as he is a tradesman and has a somewhat cavalier attitude toward care and usage.

paul cottingham
03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
I loaned one of my big corded drills to my father in law, and got it back with new brushes. So I guess he is on my list as well. But it is still a short list.

Jim Laumann
03-25-2014, 12:57 PM
I fall in to the "it depends on who it is" camp. A couple neighbors, a guy I work with, and my sons. Other than those select few, no.

Rich Riddle
03-25-2014, 1:55 PM
or screwdriver, come on you should own those.
Once a month I loan out my shop to a team of women who are ....
I cringe every time a blank spot exist on the wall of the shop. Last time the wife borrowed a "saw" she used a fine saw to cut off branches from a tree, left it outside, etc. She now has her own tools and is NOT on the approved list.

John Sanford
03-26-2014, 3:39 AM
I cringe every time a blank spot exist on the wall of the shop. Last time the wife borrowed a "saw" she used a fine saw to cut off branches from a tree, left it outside, etc. She now has her own tools and is NOT on the approved list.

In case she has some difficulty understanding why you were dismayed, just borrow a pair favorite pumps and head out to the muddiest place you can find to look for some free wood, then when you get home, but some bacon in them and leave them out for the dog....

She'll see the light. :D

Andrei Georgescu
03-26-2014, 6:43 AM
I would rather go do the job for them with my own tools. I never lend anything like my tools, my car, fishing gear or hunting bow. I also dread the idea of using other people's stuff.

Pat Meeuwissen
03-26-2014, 8:22 AM
I've lent out my last tool, the last two times I let someone borrow my rotary hammer drill one guy got an 1 1/4" bit wedged into a basement wall never to be removed. The second time I got the tool back opened the case and all the gear oil/grease was laying in the bottom. Had to get it rebuild, turned out he used it to demo a set of concrete stairs!!!!!

Val Kosmider
03-26-2014, 1:17 PM

Want to be careful with that! If you get on HER "Unapproved" list....well.....you'll have more than just a rusty saw!

Dave Sheldrake
03-26-2014, 2:05 PM
Paraffin fired gas torch and chainsaws never go anywhere, past that it depends on the skill set of the person asking.

cheers

Dave

Rick Potter
03-26-2014, 2:35 PM
I mentioned this a long time ago, but..........

My wife got tired of waiting for me to make a couple simple drawers for a closet organizer, so one day while I was at work she decided to make them herself. She cut up some wood sides and a Masonite bottom for a sock drawer. Called me at work and asked why my RAS sparked so much.

It turned out I had left a steel carpenter square on the saw, and she thought it was part of the fence, cut half way through it before she stopped.

She put the drawer together with hot glue and installed it. Still there 15 years later. So is the square with the slice in it.

Rick Potter

Prashun Patel
03-26-2014, 2:46 PM
There are a couple friends I have that return things in BETTER condition than when they got them. So, I lend my dull and dirty tools to them ;)

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-26-2014, 2:54 PM
Like most have already said, it depends upon the tool and who is borrowing it. If we have seen they respect their tools and property, we know they are more-likely to respect our tools and property.

We have a rule in our household. If you have to borrow something 2 times, the 3rd time you need it, it's time to buy one.

Jim Koepke
03-26-2014, 3:25 PM
My wife has a reluctance toward putting things away after she uses them.

She knows this is inexcusable with my tools.

She tends to not borrow my tools. At least not without asking.

jtk

Jak Kelly
03-28-2014, 3:47 PM
Yep, been there, done that!!!!!

Greg M Ellis
04-02-2014, 9:12 AM
G'day
I borrowed a friends Electric Chainsaw, cutting on the last Railway sleeper it Smoked,------------- I went to the Hardware and pick up a new good quality Electric Chainsaw for $300.00 and gave the 2 units back to my Friend, -------My dear old Dad used to say if you need something more than once --------Buy it for your self, don't Borrow.--------------PS A week or so later My friend gave me a refund of half the Money -----------saying the old Electric Chainsaw was on the way out
Cheers Greg M Ellis

Mike Lassiter
04-02-2014, 9:51 AM
I have been acquiring tools for over 40 years, and have accumulated "a few". I made my living as a mechanic for many years and have spent tens of thousands on Snap-On and the other name brand tools (and Craftsman too) and generally speaking in work situation nobody has every tool that is needed from time to time. You loan something you have today, and may have to borrow something yourself tomorrow. However, there is a code among mechanics that the said tool is required to be returned WHEN YOU ARE DONE WITH IT, AND LIKE YOU RECIEVED IT. If you beat on my deep well socket that I paid $50+ for on tool truck, using it for a bearing driver, then no - you get your own and beat on it. I don't abuse my tools and ANY that I may have to borrow. I don't borrow but once or twice then get my own if I need it more that once or twice.
I spent $5500 on new tool boxes in 1998 and they were full when I traded my old boxes in on them. I came very close to trading those in later for a bigger set that was going to cost over $10K after trade-in on my boxes. Wow! over $15K for boxes to put tools in! Yes! And those boxes secure those tools when you aren't at work, and make sure you will have them when you need them. Provided of course you keep up with them and take care of them. What I have found generally speaking over decades of mechanic work is those that have a fairly large collection and nice boxes take care to them, because they have spent tens of thousands on theirs and know what they cost and will treat your tools properly. Occasionally someone will use a large screwdriver for a chisel ( I have ONE that I do that with, and ONLY that one) and you have to tell them "not with mine" I have worked with people that scattered their tools all over the place and couldn't keep up with them, leave them on what they worked on regularly; and they were always having to buy the same tools over and over because they couldn't keep up with nor take care of their tools. Loan them something? Hell NO! I have a 4720 John Deere cab tractor with 3rd function hydraulics for bucket, and 3 buckets that have hydraulics on them. I drive it, my wife drives it, but my son-in-law has never used it, and likely never will. They leave hoes, rakes, shovels laying in the yard, the handles broken on some, just thrown down and abandoned to run over with the lawn mower. I don't have ANY tools that I didn't need at least once, and expect to use again and again until I die. THEN "they" can use them!:)

There are perhaps 2-3 people that I would feel comfortable about loaning anything to (well maybe not the tractor!) but I know they take care of their stuff and treat borrowed stuff even more so, they WILL return when finished with (meaning when I need it - I don't have to go get it back) and they appreciate that they can borrow from me. I just don't loan, and try not to borrow. If YOU borrowed you are a very select person in my regard that has EARNED THAT privilege - but you have to maintain that.