PDA

View Full Version : Best Place for Enhanced License Vector art

matt heinzel
03-24-2014, 9:46 AM
We are trying to launch a line of full color and engraved products using dynamic stock vector artwork. Right now the best prices I can find are around $40 for an enhanced license. Any recommendations for a good site or two?

George M. Perzel
03-24-2014, 3:41 PM
Matt;
Pardon my profound ignorance but WTH is dynamic stock vector art and what is the license and why is a license necessary???
Best Regards,
George
Laserarts

matt heinzel
03-24-2014, 3:54 PM
Sorry, I don't mean that it moves or anything. Really I just mean a cool image that is more than a baseball sitting on a plain background. As far as the license an enhanced license allows you to use the image for resale. The cheap stock images are generally for non commercial use, so you can't grab them for $2 put them on award and sell them.

At least I assume this is the case.
We were using an image for one of our awards that we thought was aloud to be used, then we got sued for $5,000 by the artist. We don't want that to happen again.

Tony saunders
03-24-2014, 4:40 PM
I use an online repository calle iclipart ... www.iclipart.com

Far better to have a one year subscription than paying per item though :)

T

matt heinzel
03-24-2014, 4:49 PM
I use an online repository calle iclipart ... www.iclipart.com (http://www.iclipart.com)

T

Thanks I will check that out, if they have what we want the price is fair, and reading the license quickly it looks like we would be good on the legal side of it.

Tony Lenkic
03-24-2014, 5:44 PM
Matt, do you mean asking price is $40.00 per each clipart?

Try this site................... ExpressClipart dot com

Tony saunders
03-25-2014, 1:14 AM
Thanks I will check that out, if they have what we want the price is fair, and reading the license quickly it looks like we would be good on the legal side of it.

IIRC - I think that there is something in their T&C's about commercial use of the basic image that is slightly restrictive, but it says that if the image is used as part of something else it's okay. I added text to many of the things I was doing, or used two images (or added a line or two etc) - just so it was altered very slightly.

Thing is, you can have an initial look for the sort of image you want - if there are none suitable, you don't have to pay out.

T

matt heinzel
03-25-2014, 9:05 AM
Thanks for all of the replies on this, we are looking to launch a similar product line to what trophy depot does with their Vibrix line of acrylics and corporate engraved pieces as well.
trophydepot dot com/3-4-Inch-Thick-Vibrix-Acrylic-Awards/C7554_1/

Mary Geitz
03-29-2014, 2:12 PM
I use an online repository calle iclipart ... www.iclipart.com (http://www.iclipart.com)

T
With this service, are you able to download an image and laser it on something like a cork trivet with violating their terms? Looking at their terms, I'm really not sure if this would be a violation.

Thanks!

Tony saunders
03-29-2014, 4:30 PM
With this service, are you able to download an image and laser it on something like a cork trivet with violating their terms? Looking at their terms, I'm really not sure if this would be a violation.

Thanks!

…:) have a read of the post I put on last…

Cheers
T

David Somers
03-29-2014, 5:55 PM
Mary,

When the thread first started I took a moment to write in to ipclipart.com and ask for clarification of their terms.

Here is their response with my initial question below. Hope that helps. Straight from the company.

Hi David,

Thanks very much for your enquiry!

Use of our images on any physical products you make yourself is fine with any of our subscription plans. As you saw, what determines the subscription that will work best for you is the file formats that you will require.

Please note that any images that you download and actually use during the term of your subscription can continue to be used after your subscription has expired. Any images that you downloaded and did not use during this term would need to be deleted from your computer at that time as specified in our Terms of Use. Alternatively, you can renew your account.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask!

Best wishes,
Alison
-----------------------------
Alison Hoy
President | Vital Imagery Ltd.
www.vitalimagery.com
www.linkedin.com/in/hoyalison/
p: 800-713-0398 (Toll Free)
p: 519-489-4694
f: 519-489-0598
e: alisonh@vitalimagery.com

NOTE: This message, and any attached files, may contain privileged or confidential information. It is intended for use only by the addressee(s). Any disclosure, copying or distribution of, or reliance upon, this message by anyone else is strictly prohibited. If you received this message in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail message.

On Mar 24, 2014, at 5:59 PM, David Somers <d_somers@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear IClipart,
>
> I was considering a subscription to your site but I did have a question about usage that I am not clear on.
>
> I was looking for images/vector art to use in laser engraving items, either as is or modified. I realize a vector image requires your plus or pro subscriptions.
>
> Is it acceptable to use your images as the basis for a product. Nothing would be distributed electronically. The image would be used as the basis for an engraving via laser or CNC router. The resulting physical product (an engraved plaque for example) would then be offered for sale, not the digital image or the files used by the laser engraver to create the product.
>
> Thanks for your help! No rush by the way.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Dave Somers
> Seattle, WA
> d_somers@hotmail.com

Mary Geitz
03-29-2014, 7:50 PM
Thanks so much Dave. I just bought the one-year subscription with access to the vectors. I bought it through an affiliate of theirs and paid $55. verus $99. They've got some good stuff!

Dan Hintz
03-30-2014, 1:57 PM
Any images that you downloaded and did not use during this term would need to be deleted from your computer at that time as specified in our Terms of Use. Alternatively, you can renew your account.

That is a very odd ToU condition... download what you want, but if you don't use it while the subscription is valid, you can't use it without signing up again.

Odd...

Mitchell Tutty
03-30-2014, 6:08 PM
That is a very odd ToU condition... download what you want, but if you don't use it while the subscription is valid, you can't use it without signing up again.

Odd...

I presume it being a precaution from getting a one month subscription and downloading their entire database and storing it on your hard drive, and then never needing to renew your subscription given you already have all the site has to offer.

David Somers
03-30-2014, 11:40 PM
Mitchell,

They try to deal with that issue by limiting the number of downloads you can do on a daily basis. The restriction about losing rights to a file that you have downloaded but not used yet seems odd, but sort of makes sense. Kind of. Overall not a bad TOU. Assuming they have the images you are interested in.

Dave

David Somers
03-30-2014, 11:44 PM
Mary,

Can you share the name of the affiliate you bought their subscription from for that price?

Thanks!

Dave

David Somers
03-30-2014, 11:46 PM
Matt Heinzel,

I think we drifted off your original topic a bit. Did we get you what you were looking for?

Dave

matt heinzel
03-31-2014, 8:56 AM
So I had this nice long response all written out and then I clicked the wrong button!
Basically since we are totally online company we need these images to speak for themselves. Looking at these sites it seems like the images are bit more basic. Also I have emailed a number of the subscription places and so are they have all told me that if I am making a product with that art and selling it that I need an enhanced/extended licence. Some of them have those types of licenses available, but you pay through nose per image, others have told me that I need to find another place to get on my own.
I am the in house designer for all of our awards, but I am not an ARTIST, so I am only as good as the source material that is in front of me.
I feel like I am going over the line on what the spirit of this forum is all about. I don't want to annoy anyone with my issue!

Mark Ward
04-01-2014, 7:10 AM
I'd be interested in where you managed to get that price too, I've had a look around but not found that much of a discount.

David Somers
04-01-2014, 10:20 AM
Matt,

I am just speculating, but my guess is that so long as you aren't running afoul of the forum rules, if you "go over the line on what the spirit of this forum is all about" someone will politely say something, or you just won't get any responses. No harm asking folks.

Dave

Mary Geitz
04-02-2014, 9:37 AM
Sure! The affiliate is cloudswave.com After a couple of days' use of iclipart, I have found it is the best resource I've seen for vector files.

Mary Geitz
04-02-2014, 9:42 AM
I forgot to mention that the discount code did not work for a while. I think it was about 45 minutes before I had access.

Tristan Ranatza
04-03-2014, 11:07 AM
Has anyone ever bought clipart through InkyDeals? It looks like they have good stuff at good prices with good terms (Files can be used in an unlimited number of personal or commercial projects.)

Glen Monaghan
04-03-2014, 4:09 PM
I've bought a couple of their offerings. Whether they are worth it depends on what sort of thing you are looking for and how much other stuff you are willing to take/ignore to get it, because they tend to bundle a bunch of stuff into an offering (such as a couple of tee shirt designs, some card templates, oriental designs, etc., or 47 variations each of flourishes and florals). Consequently, it can seem like "low grade ore" when you really only want one or two of the designs but get 98 items in the bundle. Still, if you get what you want and consider the price good for that, then the "extra" stuff is immaterial... delete it or file it away for that certain "someday".