PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-24-2014, 9:05 AM
24 Mar 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
I know....I'm a late starter. My buddy Mark Cothren would say that I was "burning good daylight". One of these days, maybe I'll get on a better schedule.
Spent a little time in the shop this weekend and got the electrical work done for getting my lathe moved to where it's new home is going to be. The shop reorg and cleanup is going along nicely and I'm really happy with the results so far. I got the mother-in-law addition plans done and now in the hands of the builder. The MIL has a contract for a buyer for her house already. Looks like I'm going to be "really" busy in a month or so.
Gotta fire going in the stove this morning to take the chill off the house. We shouldn't be having to heat the house much longer as temps are already warming nicely.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
03-24-2014, 9:44 AM
Our school auction was Saturday. We were scheduled to work check in and check out so we had to be there mid-afternoon and were there to almost midnight, then stopped by the after-party for a few minutes making for a loooonngg day. We had a gift certificate for a local "boutique" hotel that is within walking distance of school so we stayed the night there. Sunday we came home and I spent several hours putting all the gravel pushed off the driveway by snow plowing back with the leaf blower. Still have a few areas to do but I can't because we STILL have snow piles in 4 places along the driveway. One for sure and maybe 2, of the driveway piles has snow on the bottom that fell on December 14. As cool as its going to be I don't see it shrinking much this week. There are two additional spots in the yard that still have naturally fallen snow where the drifts were the worst that have been snow covered since December 30. Just nuts.

David Hostetler
03-24-2014, 10:00 AM
I worked a ton of doubles last week, so I was off from lunch on Thursday through the weekend. I spent some time on Thursday afternoon, not long finishing up a basic hinged plywood box for my large hole saw cups, and drilling extra holes in my drilling accessories holder to hold all of my driver bits. Pretty basic stuff.

Friday was a BAD day. It would appear I managed to end up with some sort of GI virus that wanted to be expelled... 'nuff said. Saturday was feeling better, pretty much the routine for this bug, it appears to be going around. My wife had it previously, 2 of my brothers in law had it, several coworkers etc... Lasts a day, just keep hydrated and you are good to go...

Saturday I helped my BIL throw a freshly rebuilt 4L80E into one of his tow trucks. His mechanics have been pouring their time into customer cars, so I went over, helped him swap out the master cylinder in my nieces Hyundai, throw the tranny in the wrecker, and helped him repair some of the sheet metal fencing that some scrap metal thieves were trying to get off of the framing... I ran out of time, and left him needing to connect the cooler lines, U joint, linkage, electronic connectors, fill it up, fire it up and test... Hopefully this weekend his lift, and my person will both be free up enough time wise to get my truck up on his lift, pull the tranny, swap the pump seal, O ring, oil seal, bushing, and torque converter... Plan on changing out the fuel filter, doing an oil change, and changing transfer case and diff lube on both ends while it is up on the lift...

Shawn Pixley
03-24-2014, 10:16 AM
Saturday was our neighborhood cleanup day which I helped organize. It was very successful. After which, I set out to improve the Dust Collection on my SS Contractor saw. That evening, LOML and I went to see a show that was an EP release party for one of the bands my son is in. Sunday I started a Japanese lantern project and made good progress.

Doug Richardson
03-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Spent the available weekend hours plumbing the condensate and humidifier drain lines on the furnace to a new condensate pump, connecting to an overhead tube to the drain. The furnace installer had originally plumbed them to 3/4" pvc running across the basement floor to the drain. Have you ever tried to move heavy equipment on wheels over a piece of pvc strapped to a concrete floor? I rest my case.....:D

David Weaver
03-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Knocked out most of another base cabinet on the "slowest kitchen cabinet build in history". That's pretty much it.

Mike Ontko
03-24-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how to get more than 48 hours out of my weekends. I'm in the process of building a shop area in the back end of my 2-car garage. The finished space will be about 18' x 20' but I'll be able to move the cars out temporarily for any larger projects. It's a house that we just moved into at the end of 2012. We sold a 2-person hot tub that came with the house and I've re-purposed the breaker space for shop use. I had the wiring done by an electrician friend two weekends ago; adding a 50A sub panel and dedicated runs for 220V/15A, 220V/30A (for a Farenheat 5000W heater), and several 110V/20A outlets. Drywall was patched up and then painted during the past weekend. This weekend was mostly yard and garden work, but I managed time to rewire a Jet DC1100A I found through CL so it'll run on 220V. After a little research and reading the FWW article, "Soup Up Your Dust Collector," I'd also ordered a Wynn filter for it, and will be installing that this week as well as building a Thien type baffle that will fit into the collector. I'm still shopping for an 8" jointer (leaning towards the Grizzly G0490) and 14" bandsaw (it's a toss-up between a Grizzly G0555X and Rikon 10-325), but I'm in no hurry until I can build cabinets, shelves, and a bench so I can get the bulk of my tools off the floor and have some room to move around. I'd take pictures now, but you'd see nothing but blank walls (although they're clean and freshly painted blank walls) and a large pile of tools and boxes surrounding an older Grizzly G1022ZF 10" TS.

Mike Olson
03-24-2014, 1:05 PM
I have been dabbling with making YouTube videos and my Son thinks i'm some kinda star...??? lol... he told all his friends about it and when one came over on Sunday he said he wanted to build something in my shop. He mentioned this 30 minutes before his mom was supposed to pick him up.
We poked around and found a plywood cutoff that was warped and nasty looking. Had them measure it, divide by 2, then divide that by 4 to get the box sides, top and bottom. "they are in 4th grade and do division now" turned out to allow a 13" x 13" by 6" high box.

I Cut it up and assembled if for them. Had them poke around my parts cases to find some old hinges for the lid. He was very happy with a box that only took 20 minutes to make. I sent him home with some sand paper to finish it off since his Mom came a little early. I told him to bring it back next time he comes over and we can finish.

Oh, and putting in the foam ear plugs was quite an adventure. something about tickling his brain...

John Sanford
03-24-2014, 11:00 PM
I finished milling and dimensioning the main parts for the base of my new workbench. Then I made a holder for a Catspaw on my "Backwall", came up with a solution to keep my files from falling out of their holder, installed the long overdue inner layer of pegboard on the ends of my "Backwall", prototyped a new type of chisel / screwdriver / file rack in foam. I liked the prototype, so I went ahead and cut out the rough pieces for a bunch of the new racks. This week I hope to shape them and cut/drill all of the appropriate holes.

Matt Berry
03-25-2014, 1:06 PM
It was finally time to retire my super powerful 18 yr old "2hp" craftsman table saw. UPS decided to rough up my package a little bit, but all the contents were fine. I spent a couple of days cleaning, assembling, more cleaning, and was finally able to cut something on saturday. Needless to say the Grizzly G0690 is a great saw and it's crazy that I waited so long to upgrade.
285631 285632
285633 285634

Ken Fitzgerald
03-25-2014, 1:49 PM
Got home Friday night laten after being gone for 34 days..................rest..........all weekend. It's Tuesday. The wife and discussed this morning how we are still sleeping the sleep of the dead.....rest....