PDA

View Full Version : Unitronix Shaper?

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2014, 8:44 AM
Never seen one.... There is one for sale around here, a double, for a reasonable price. Says it weighs in at 3000#, and it looks like it has had very little use. Has grease fittings? Not what I want but it is close and it should run large cutters better than what I have, but I know absolutely Zip about them.

If anyone has any experiance with these machines let me know what you think.

Larry

nicholas mitchell
03-24-2014, 9:30 AM
Unitronix was one of the names given to the generic eastern european stuff. I believe it's Polish. The Polish stuff was built better than the chiwanese stuff we get now. I doubt you'll be able to find parts or information for it anywhere.

edit: I think they also went under thhe names of Gomad and Polamco...not sure if that helps at all.

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks, I had found that much out but not heard of any first hand experiances. This machine apears to be an oddball among oddballs and the only reference that I could find was an old IRS auction. Its listed in the SW Mich Clist.

Anyway..... I bought it. It looks to have very little use, paint is all good and not all banged up, has 1/2" and 1" spindles but unfortunately no 1 1/4". Has two 7 1/2 hp motors set up to run on 220 3 ph which works for me. Both fences are all there and it has been in heated storage for 10 years. It was used when the current owner bought it, like new he said, then they used it for a year and went to CNC so put it in storage. For $750 I do not think I can lose too much if I decide I do not like it. I had to jump or it was going to go to the next caller, a machinery reseller that was ready to send a truck. I appreciate him giving me the option, an unusual courtesy.

So...... Would still love to hear any experiences. I am not going to go get it till the snow goes away, too hard to move..

Larry

Peter Kelly
03-24-2014, 10:30 AM
Recent thread on that same manufacturer: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?215274-Dsmc-24-quot-planer

Mike Wilkins
03-24-2014, 3:53 PM
You should be able to get some bushings to get the 1" spindle to run 1 1/4" tooling, if your powerplant has enough muscle to run them.

Larry Edgerton
03-24-2014, 7:51 PM
I'll have at least one spindle made in 1 1/4" if I like it when I get it in the shop..

I found out some cool history about this machine. The importer out of Chicago was convicted of spying for Moscow back in the early seventies, so the end of Unitronix came at the hands of the Justice department.

Larry

peter gagliardi
03-24-2014, 9:04 PM
Well, except for the odd spindle sizes, I'd say you definitely stole that!!! They are a very robust, well built machine! I have a colleague that has the single spindle version, and it is his main shaper in a 3-4 man shop, had it for years now. He has nothing but praise for the machine! You did well.

Rick Potter
03-25-2014, 3:48 AM
Probably made from melted down T-37 tanks. It's built like one, right?

Rick P

Larry Edgerton
03-26-2014, 8:28 AM
I'm looking at other information I have been able to find and the table on this is 40" deep, spindles are 30" apart. I may be able to set this up as two shapers by turning the hoods sideways which could be handy. Both motors are reversible, but I may have to have a spindle made to run in reverse if I want them both to feed the same way. If the hoods will clear each other with enough room for dust collection remains to be seen. From what little I have been able to find they are very smooth and at 3000 pound free from any vibration. I missed an auction a bit ago where three brand new SCM programmable hoods went for $450. That was $450 for three! I was taking a break from tool watching at the time, dang!

Wish the snow and cold would go away, my haul truck is a restored 67 Ford and that and my trailor have never seen salt. Getting impatient though.......

Larry

Jeff Duncan
03-26-2014, 4:10 PM
Is the machine reversible? You always want to be careful when trying to make a machine reversible that wasn't originally. If it was I think your on to something. Also you probably don't need to rotate the hoods a full 90 degrees if they won't fit. Might be a bit more awkward but you could probably rotate them say 30 degrees or so….kinda like those hammer 3 head shapers and be good to go. It's just the table angle might be a bit cumbersome to work in front of? Though probably not a problem if your just running batch parts like sticking for instance.

good luck,
JeffD

Larry Edgerton
03-26-2014, 5:13 PM
Jeff, both motors are reversable. I am not sure if the spindles are opposite threads yet as I have not gone to get it, it has two 1/2" and two 1" spindles, which makes me think it is from the seventies. I got the name of a place from Dave that makes spindles so when I get it home and play, if I like it, I will get at least one 1 1/4" spindle made. I don't have any money in it so if it turns out to be a flop no big deal. I'm sure I will still get a new shaper but this machine may change what I am looking for.

If nothing else it will make a nice heavy 4'x6'4" assembly table.

I found a nice Martin out in Mass........ Too funny.:D

Later, Larry

Jeff Duncan
03-27-2014, 10:13 AM
I can vouch for the Martin….it's a nice one, well cared for…..may be going back to NY city though:rolleyes:

I haven't seen a Unitronix up close and personal, but I have a sneaking suspicion you'll be impressed with it's build. Even the 2nd and 3rd tier industrial shapers are very capable machines and can produce a lot of quality work;)

good luck,
JeffD

David Kumm
03-27-2014, 10:34 AM
I've seen their machines Jeff and you will be impressed with the build. Maybe a tad rougher than martin, bauerle or Kolle but even heavier. Some of the thickest castings I've ever seen. Dave

Larry Edgerton
04-12-2014, 4:04 PM
Brought this home yesterday. It is in unbelievable shape, every part including guards seem to be there. There is some light rust on bare metal parts that will have to be addressed but nothing bad. Dropped my mileage 5mpg on the trip home, it is heavy! case is 3/8" formed and welded steel with a 5/8" base welded on. Very nice fabrication work.

I also picked up a HOLZ 1hp 3 wheel power feed for $350, needs wheels. Eight speed. This has some heavier rust on the stand, may try walnut shells in the blast cabinet on these parts.

I think I'll sell my T3 with a slider to make room and then just weld up a slider for this.

I am happy! Larry

Larry Edgerton
04-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Was digging through the box of extra parts and the two spindles that the owner thought were 1/2' are actually 3/4" Sweet! I could see how he could be mistaken, the spindles are so massive that the 3/4' looks like 1/2".

There is a warning on the machine that says "Do not operate this machine with long spindle extension without using spindle rest. Use of machine without long spindle support arm may result in Death."

Apparently it will not just hurt you a little bit.

Larry

David Kumm
04-13-2014, 1:25 PM
Larry, the 3/4" should be fairly short. The Euros don't like much length on what they consider a light duty spindle. They tend to run larger diameter tooling than we do here so that may also be a factor. Some shapers do have a support arm that attaches to the spindle. Is that what they are referring to? Dave

peter gagliardi
04-13-2014, 9:14 PM
Quite a few of these came with the over arm spindle support for large diameter cutters.

Larry Edgerton
01-01-2015, 12:25 PM
Been keeping an eye out for the slider that bolts to the end of this shaper as well as the extended spindle and support. Unitronix, Gomad, And Polamco shapers are all made in the same place and appear to be identical.

So..... If you happen to run across any let me know. Snowball in Cuba of a chance, but.......

Thanks, Larry

Jeff Duncan
01-01-2015, 4:24 PM
If you really want one and don't mind spending on shipping, I'd keep an eye out closer to where they were made. Take a look at machine seeker.com and you may just find some of what your looking for. I haven't seen a lot of those machines in general on this side of the pond so I think your snowball chance prediction is pretty accurate.

good luck,
JeffD

Larry Edgerton
01-02-2015, 5:42 AM
Thats a cool site Jeff, have lots of stuff I have not seen. Hope all is going well with you, you have been kinda quiet.

Larry

Jeff Duncan
01-05-2015, 5:29 PM
Yeah I got kicked out of my old digs last spring and had to find and move into a new shop fast. Spent most of the summer moving into and setting up my new shop….(read 10 weeks unpaid vacation!). So have had a lot less time for posting, though am starting to get a little "free" time back these days;)

Though on the good side….looks like the developer who bought the building my old shop was in may be a new client:D

Jeff