PDA

View Full Version : Delta Industrial Unisaws??

Roy Wall
06-21-2005, 2:49 PM
Saw and ad in the paper for a Left tilt Unisaw.....it had sold for $1200 and was new. The guy said didn't have a fence - just the basic cabinet. Anyway, he said is was "American Made" as it didn't have an "X" in the serial number.....

suppose to be heavy duty....etc......

Can you guys enlighten me on this subject/ differences/adv/disadv....? Thanks!

Maurice Ungaro
06-21-2005, 3:22 PM
Delta started out the "X" series as American made super duper tools. The American made thing went by the wayside, as Delta has their plants overseas make most of them now. That being said, the presence of an "X", or lack thereof, has nothing to do with whether or not the machine is American made. Also, all Unisaws are "industrial". Regardless, it's a great machine, and without the fence, you should be able to knock $250 off of the price.

Roy Wall
06-21-2005, 4:21 PM
Thanks Maurice!! Now I know:)

John Weber
06-21-2005, 4:45 PM
Roy,

If it is a Unisaw it's assembled in the US. Although Delta also has an imported cabinet saw (not a Unisaw) to compete more directly with the other imports. As for the Unisaws made in the US, awhile back Delta changed from a Marathon (US motor and controls) to a WEG Brazilian motor and I believe imported controls. There are still a hand full of tools made in Jackson, TN, some parts and castings are now imported, but the final assembly and set up is in TN. I'm not sure the specifics as to what parts are imported (I've been told the tables are sourced in America, but I've also been told they are imported). The extension wings are imported.

$1200 may be fair depending on what is included (mitre gauge, entension wings, Marathon vs WEG motor, etc...), but Redmonds in ATL is having some blow out pricing on scatch and dents Unisaws, and historically Woodworkers Supply has had good deals. At $1200 I migth do a little more shopping first, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look.

As Maurice said, the X usually means some sort of X5 Unisaw, with 5 year warranty, free tool, etc... but all Unisaws (X or not) are the same under the hood.

So are you looking for a Uni?

John

Maurice Ungaro
06-21-2005, 4:56 PM
........:( ...My brother in California just got a used Platinum Edition Uni, in cherry condition, w/Bies., etc., for $1000.

Now I want one more than ever. It'll have to wait until the Garage-Mahal is paid for!

Roy Wall
06-21-2005, 7:41 PM
John and Maurice,

Thanks for the info guys-- awesome!! No, not necessarily for a Unisaw....I don't have 220 in the Garage and the e-box is tapped out:mad: ....

I do need a good contractors though...maybe this fall....maybe a..gulp...Sawstop....

I've come close to a General International contractors, never looked into a Delta or Jet.....

John Weber
06-21-2005, 9:21 PM
Roy,

Pop on a sub-panel, and you will have plenty of slots available. I have 3 subs (attic, shop, basement) plus a generator panel off my main. Just makes running new circuits a lot easier. You might also try for a cabinet saw if possible. Bigger with more mass, better dust collection, smaller footprint, more power, etc... I've got an older PM 66 and I've thought about a SawStop cabinet saw, and if things settle down I still might make a change. Silly not to take advantage of the safety features since they are available, plus it is a heck of a nice saw.

John