PDA

View Full Version : More Buffing Wheel Questions

Bill Bulloch
03-24-2014, 8:10 AM
I'm glad y'all are talking about Buffing Wheels. I had mine [Beall System] for about five years and they are looking very grimy. I'm wondering if they can be washed in he washing machine. Anyone ever do this?

Also, if you use EEE Ultra Shine what wheel do you buff with? I have been using the Wax Wheel, but am wondering if perhaps you should have a dedicated wheel for this?

John Keeton
03-24-2014, 9:39 AM
The Ultra-Shine is an abrasive, in a wax, compounded with an aliphatic hydrocarbon, which provides a viscosity that is workable. Since it is an abrasive, I would not want to use either of my tripoli, white diamond or wax wheels with it. I have never tried washing the Beall wheels, but if they have become unusable or producing less than a desirable result, I don't see the harm in trying it.

Greg Just
03-24-2014, 1:21 PM
I buy my buffing wheels from http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/index.html and they are a lot less expensive. I get the loose cotton wheels and when they wear out, I just replace them, which for me is a long time. They also carry the mushroom buffers which you can put in a drill and buff the inside of a bowl.

Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with Caswell other than a happy customer

Jeff Gilfor
03-24-2014, 4:53 PM
I have read on other forums, folks have successfully washed buffing wheels in the machine. Don't see why that would be a problem, as they are standard (albeit good quality) natural textile fabric. I would be careful however about using any washing additives (fabric softeners, etc).

Roger Chandler
03-24-2014, 7:42 PM
I was thinking about this very thing last week! This thread just prompted me, so I went out to the shop, got the Beall buffs and they are now in the washing machine, with hot water wash and cold water rinse. :eek: When I get them out and dried, I will post how it went....:confused:......then we will know for sure! :D

If they come apart into shreds....:eek:...then I guess we will all avoid that in the future .................but at least this question will have a definitive answer!!! :D

Roger Chandler
03-24-2014, 9:06 PM
Well, I just know that everyone is just holding their breath on this washing the Beall buff experiment.......well, as of right this moment they are out of the washer.........made it through okay as far as I can tell, but the real proof will be when they come out of the dryer next............stay tuned and ............

Ooops! Well the dryer has cut off twice now in the last 5 minutes and the buffs are still wet...........of course this high tech dryer has all kinds of computer settings on it........one of those Whirlpool Duet 2014 models. I put the cycle on "timed dry" and it is not using the sensors to operate [I think ? :confused:] so in about 30 more minutes +/- we could have a verdict! :cool:

Put down the remote, don't change that channel...........:rolleyes: :D

Roger Chandler
03-24-2014, 10:21 PM
The Verdict is in!!! I refer you to the thread of the same title to find out the conclusion of this most pressing of issues...........;)